Black People : WHEN DID WE LOSE IT AND WILL WE EVER GET IT BACK?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by oldiesman, Apr 9, 2009.

1. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    my sisters and brothers,the[it]i'm speaking of is the thirst for knowledge that we as a people seem to have forgotten about down through the decades,one of the things that we speak of with pride here is the fact that our ancestors always had an almost unreal passion for knowledge even at the risk of losing thier lives they read by starlight-candlelight-moonlight[malcolm strained his eyes in prison because he wouldn't stop reading once the lights were out]one of the saddest things that i hear us say is[why should i learn that ol stuff i ain't gonna ever use it]no just like you[ain't]never gonna use that stuff you read in that[fashion-sex-sports-gossip]mag..[and before ya'll jump on me,haha]let me state that i'm not condemming reading for pleasure[heck i read some of that stuff too]no my people what i'm talking about is the fact that somewhere along the lines we have stopped wanting to know about things that would just make us well read[if i may use that term]the old addage[the easiest place to hide something from a blackman is to put it in a book]is unfortunately true and we need to get back that thirst that has sustained us as a people...for our own survival.

2. mari

mari Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Good point! personally I dont think our desire for reading and learning as disappeared.
    Its just that times have changed as they always have done ( and will continue to do)
    where as the Library or a course were perhaps the only way of increasing ones Knowledge folk are now doing this at the click of a mouse. It seems that most people nowadays buy books as a way of retaining a personal copy of work they've enjoyed or find in the longer term particularly useful.

New tech and ways of learning shouldnt necessarily be viewed as a bad thing
    for ex take this website.

Reading the articules / information that people post, and being able if you wish to delve further into an interest, or interact with the author via the forum or privately, is an advantage on soley reading a book. Not to mention that ppl can now meet with ..and learn with and from each other, much more easily than they would have been able to in the past.

No I dont think we have lost it .. I just think the way we will choose to learn and utilize just what we have learned that has changed!

3. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    tv's, movies, ipods,psp's and computers have taken over....
    in america we are heading down the lazy path...and not just blacks
    audio books are selling almost as much as regular books.....

but i will agree with you that our quest for knowledge is not what it should be....
    i think that has everything to do with our complacency in this country....
    simply put...the majority of us just aint hungry like previous generations were...imho

one love
    khasm

4. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Oooh-wee! You said it, brotha!

I have been spouting that same thing for years! And what's even more sad about it is some of us think we "got it SO good!"

5. MRS. LADY

MRS. LADY Banned MEMBER

to seek truth
    Ratings:
    +261
    great great points...

i know we'll get it back...

some of us are as hungry as ever...

i think once we started just being complacent with no regard for the future and just existing day to day and check to check we lost sight of ourselves..

future is from the latin futuras meaning about to be.....

most have lost hope because they can't see their own futures.... due to institutionalized racism.. .. deteriorating schools... discriminatory justice.. corrupt political leaders.. and accepting oppresion

people suffer because they lack vision... this is what causes the fear and doubt that leads to depression and a "no way out" mantality

we must plan for our own future....

why wish for health, love, awareness or wealth when we can simply plan for health, love, awareness and wealth...

our future and those that are about to be are our children ...

many are just worn out...

with out a sense of future we will fail to have one..

6. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560

:bowdown:

7. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I agree in whole with brother Khasm13

8. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    The only way we'll ever get it back is to start educating Black children and other Black adults about our history in this country and throughout the Diaspora so they, in turn, will instill it in their children.

We need to get away from this mentality that being educated or well-read as being labeled a "sell-out" or trying to be "White."

We need to disassociate ourselves with the notion of "street cred" and instead have some knowledge of self and others.

Malcolm was a functional illiterate until he taught himself and became one of the greatest orators of the 20th century.

We need to be versed in our own histories as well as subjects which will serve us to be socially and economically stable.

9. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382

We did lose it. First of all we have to consider how much we have actually lost in terms of "real knowledge". 500,000 books burned in Carthage...800,000 books burned in Kemet....and imagine, this was knowledge that possibly took millions of years to acquire or learn. Lets not forget what the pope has in his library that is ours...what Russia has, what the U.S has....what Israel has that is ours that we will never see. As is so well said; "The greatest mystery of black people are black people themselves". Superficial is the word that best defines where we are right now on a mass scale and this is not where knowledge lies at.

10. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    never lost it and it's still there. just covered over in a bunch of bs.

dig into YOU and you'll find it! you are the Axe!