Black People : When did they become BLACK?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Slowly, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Slowly

Slowly Well-Known Member MEMBER

electronic technician
    Ratings:
    +8
    A newscaster the other day referred to Cubans as Black. What are Cubans, hispanic,right? I think they( white america) are trying to reclassify so they can be considered a minority. They are already calling South Americans Black. :ref:

2. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    Would someone please reply to this bull**** ! I mean, are OUR PEOPLE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO ARE MENTALLY LOST IN THIS WORLD ?...ARE WE ?

3. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    I do believe there are large numbers of Black people in both Cuba and South America. What I've typically seen done is the re-classification of people who are clearly BLACK as "Hispanic" in an effort to decrease the number of African people on paper. I'm not sure of what trend you're speaking because that has certainly not been the common m.o.

4. backtoafrica

backtoafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Oh my gosh! This has got to be the dumbest thing anybody could say!! You honestly don't know that there are actually black people in these areas?! They were taken there as slaves. Oh and hispanic is not a race either.

5. Slowly

electronic technician
    Ratings:
    +8
    I know now Blacks (African descendants) are everywhere, but check this out. I complete surveys for the Harris/Nielsen family so I can get free stuff for my time. In the racial area of the survey they have check boxes for "Black-Hispanic origin" or "Black-non-hispanic origin". Mexicans, Cubans, and the rest of the spanish speaking people don't have check boxes.

6. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Stop insulting folks' intelligence!.......

No comment from a member is 'dumb'. I was looking at a Dominican Republic crime fact sheet. There were people 10 times darker than I who were labeled white. This is may be where some of the confusion derives from. Plus many of them associate "Blackness" with only American Blacks. Go figure. Heck if they don't want to be "Black", then the #ell with them.

PS...LOL....Slowly I can see your initial thread post as being sarcastic.....:lol:

7. Sefirot

Sefirot Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +14
    The majority of the Cubans in Miami (to which I believe you are referring) are the lighter ones who were of the Bourgeoi aristocratic families of Cuba that Castro forced to leave because of their racist and greedy views. There are a great many Cubans who are darker than america's majority of Blacks.

******, Negro, Afro-american, African american, Black...these are all labels that the devil uses to separate us categorically and mentally from our true place in the world. As was already stated, whites are the minority and make up only about 10-12% of the world. But to enforce their illusion of what's "normal," they must supply all of US with labels. And we fall for the BS.

In many places, it is a significant insult to be considered Black or dark because of the stigma of being regarded as negative or inferior, or "not good" as well as the lack of desire to be associated with the "dumb, lazy" Blacks of America.

Personally, I'm suprised that they finally called the Brothers Black.

8. Slowly

electronic technician
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sarcastic, huh? i don't understand. Guess you can see now why I use the screen name Slowly. I can't get this link thingy to work right but go to www.reference.com and type into the search box 'Blacks'. Afro-Cuban, Afro-Mexican etc are terms used to describe brown and black skinned people. (Looks like this term was commonly used to denote people of color, and we just kinda fell into it.) But with the medias recent rise is calling spanish speaking people Black seems to me like they are minimising American Blacks. It just grates me the way Hurricane Katrina victims were called refuges.

9. Slowly

electronic technician
    Ratings:
    +8
    ok, hispanic is an ethnicity, so sorry.

10. Slowly

electronic technician
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well said Brother, well said. But...how do we get whats ours without the labels?