Black People : When Did Being 'Black' Become So One Dimensional?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by chuck, May 28, 2012.

1. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    It used to be whenever whites needed or wanted to get their groove on, past generations came up with somebody new? Now white grannies wear Fifty's caps?!? What they're really idenitifying with: Blacks with more money than they got...Being I'm not one of them: I'm not flattered or impressed about the mimickry...Are you? FYI...

2. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    The very notion of whites in blackface, i. e., poor whites making fun of black slaves folk culture etc, though they weren't really all that better off, way back then, kinda sorta reveals their present descendants aren't all that better off either...

I. e., so who are we really being challenged by, and what is this notion of blacks vs whites, truly based on?

Above and beyond their false identifications, etc., with folk they have nothing in common with, except being white, the noise some (if not all) are making over those government bailouts, etc., the same folks didn't when 'their' jobs etc. were being outsourced overseas to begin with....

So, just who is 'the enemy', these days?

Perhaps the same as they're been all along...

And mere skin shades etc. has nothing to do with it...

FYI...

3. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    Not quite chuck. It's important to realize that the races have different racial organization. That is, Asians and Europeans organize in Patriarchy; Africans in Matriarchy.

There are further differences between Asians and Europeans but it's not necessary herein.

As it were, I'm having this discussion with an African scholar in the UK, who insists that we should abandon the "Black" description as it's defined by Whiteness. This is a continuation of Amos Wilson's discouragement of defining "Black" as reaction to "White." In the English language, "Black" has a non-indigenous definition amongst our people, thus we are confused in interacting with it. After all "Black" is defined negatively. Recounting on our youth "Blacks" were entertainers.

Still, there is an indigenous definition of Blackness. Some of us know it, but it peeks through our observation of our ancestors: Harriet Tubman, for instance, was Black; Frederick Douglass, Black, Martin Delany, Black. And this indigenous definition is the consistency from our ancient ancestry down to today (minus the interracial corruptions.)

By the by, however, "Matriarchy" is the key difference. So truly Black is not another shade of White or vise versa. Black is very different. And Black and White can not mix and respect their ancestry.

As it were, most Blacks live in Patriarchy(-lite) in America so we're unclear of how we differ. But our problems partially stem from the fact that we live in Patriarchy(-lite) rather than Matriarchy.

HTP

4. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    CTJ:

What you talking about, Willis?!?

SMH...

5. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    But, yeah: Those africans who stole back their freedom had much in common with indigenous folk in the americas, up to and including their's being a female maintained/supported/etc. centered means/ways/etc. base of life/culture etc.

Always try to not talk over our heads..

Do break it all down, brown, so the less than formerely educated know and understand what you're writing/talking/etc. about, too...

FYI...

6. Asomfwaa

Ratings:
    +2,564
    You'd be surprised at how hard that is. But I'm working on it.

I used to stop young kids and ask them "Where is your source of positive affirmations?"

They'd do that Gary Coleman routine. I have to ask again in English. :)

But what I am saying is what I said to this street Brother today in his basketball hat and urban get-up.

All of us WANT to be Black. We wake up in the morning, look at our wardrobe and ask ourselves how we can look back, ergo the basketball hat and urban get-up.

Yet, we go by another person's definition of Black. We don't have our own definition. Then I told him that I had written up a definition of our people, and other people, but that's immaterial.

The point, in psychology, always comes back to this: African people are wrestling with an external definition of "Africanness." Yet, the resources for understand our internal definition are there in our stories: Nzingha, Delany, Nanny, Taharqo to name a few.

I'm thankful for your correspondence,
    HTP

7. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Wouldn't matriarchy only appeal to those people are more right-brained and emotional?

8. Asomfwaa

Ratings:
    +2,564
    Matriarchy is a social ordering. It's a statement of being sedentary rather than nomadic. It's not right-brained/left-brained or emotional/rational.

In a Matriarchy of the Matrilineal order, for instance, the Maternal Uncle has the responsibility of socializing (making a man of a boy) his nephew.

This custom followed us to America but was recently lost (some of our Elders in the South observed this firsthand). Either way, this custom would solve the problem of a lack of male socialization in that whether or not a man left his son, that boy's Uncle (as most children have Uncles) could be a "father" figure (if you will.)

Yet, we adopt the Patriarchal ordering. Where if the Father socializes the Son, it's only the firstborn Son. Obviously, this is a problem when Fathers are absentee.

But it's a matter of psychology per se. It's a matter of social organization. For instance, who gets the dowry, man or woman? Whose passes on the last name, man or woman? In a Patriarchy, the man gets the dowry and passes on the last name. This acknowledges that women are useless [How good can a woman be as a pirate?] In a Matriarchy, the woman gets the dowry and passes on the last name. This acknowledges that women are useful. In the farm setting, the woman handles the children and can be equally productive on the field.

Like I said, however, as long as we adopt this Patriarchal mindset, we're in deep trouble. Because in Patriarchy women are useless except for, for recreation. And women [and families] are an economic burden on men (think about this.) And it fosters a tribalism.

We need Matriarchy which makes women useful, families important and community the end all.

Ain't it good that I'm a Champion for Matriarchy? For what it's worth. :)

9. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    So, matriarchy wouldn't appeal to those people who move around like a lot such as merchants or mercenaries?

How is property handled in a matriarchy?

10. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,128

African societies historically have never been matriarchal. This is a modern american phenomenon