Black Money Business Jobs : When building your business means hiding that it's black-owned

Discussion in 'Black Money Business Jobs' started by The_Revolutionist, Aug 18, 2017.

1. The_Revolutionist

The_Revolutionist Banned MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +13

In growing his patio-installation company, Duane Draughon erased all clues to the public that he, a black man, owned the business.

[​IMG]

"I never said I wasn't the owner. If asked, I would admit it. But I always said I was either the project manager or a designer," he said.

Draughon is among entrepreneurs who feel compelled to conceal the fact that their businesses are black-owned for fear they will lose patronage — either to misconceptions that the products or services are only for blacks, or to racial biases on the part of potential users.

Read more: http://www.chicagotribune.com/blues...rs-downplay-ownership-bsi-20160414-story.html

When building your business means hiding that it's black-owned

Chicago-area entrepreneurs like Duane Draughon, Alysia Sargent and Pepper Miller say they're downplaying black ownership to build their businesses.
    chicagotribune.com

2. The_Revolutionist

The_Revolutionist Banned MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +13
    When one runs into a brick wall one has to find a work around - by any means necessary.

3. IFE

IFE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,535
    If he’s hiding I won’t be using his service.
    Should he fear losing black customers. Maybe he’s convinced Blacks have no money.

4. DigitallyBlack

DigitallyBlack going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +11
    A tricky situation. Why fear showing your face? Everyone doesn't. Why should we? At the same time, it's not hard not to think that people will not give you business because you're black. :/

5. Symbol of America

Symbol of America going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    RET: EMS & TPD
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    There are outright bold face lies then there are omissions of fact. Both mindsets are destructive for the consumer. For whatever reason one chooses to deceive his own is just as bad as a married person telling a possible future significant other that they are single. Either way it's betrayal at it's worst. I liar is a thief that just stole your trust.

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +10,468
    Peace and Blessings Family,

This is a great topic and a real consideration, at least for me it was.

I found it strange to even have to consider, but it surely came to mind.

Personally, I chose to put my picture on my earlier home page, top right.

Remove all questions and wondering. Put the truth on the table.

[​IMG]

That was easier for me, letting the chips fall where they may.

But different goals require different actions.

I would not be mad at someone for choosing to do it a different way.

This phenomena, having to consider how one will present themselves, is an Internet thing.

Prior to it, we met in person, did business in person ... but there are choices now.

Each one must choose what is best for their endeavor.

Thanks everyone for sharing!

Loving Us!

:heart:

Destee

7. Symbol of America

Symbol of America going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    RET: EMS & TPD
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    And you say "I'm the best"?

That banner shows me a serious sense of style you possess there Miss Destee. So now you can shoehorn Blackish in your new banner.

8. ogoun

ogoun Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +337
    Aside from the whole concept of what 'the American dream' thing is and what one would or does do to obtain that endless dead end pursuit. Aside from that.
    My biggest question is what does he or she do to support black businesses or services and community during the time getting there and then the thereafter when one 'makes it'?
    To me that question is more important then what one does or doesn't do to make a buck.

9. DigitallyBlack

DigitallyBlack going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The creator of Digitally Black thought about this immensely. About showing a face or not. For the sake of growth showing face would help. However, long-term there is some concern. This is just a personal belief but truly empowering black people is a suicide mission. MLK, Malcolm X, Mohamed Ali, Michael Jackson, Tupac, Biggie Smalls, Nat Turner and the list goes on.

If self-sacrifice isn't your cup of tea, then your efforts will be undone somehow someway. So currently staying anonymous sounds like the best choice of action. Many celebrities don't brag about how they help us. We wonder what that reason is. We wonder if secretly Oprah, Jay Z and other billionaires and millionaires quietly help us.

Is that because they want to or is it because they have to? If it's because of the latter then what threat is posed against them compared to little ol us trying to build a directory website? We'd love to hear feedback on this.

10. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +15,109
    :11100:if they don't wanna do business wit black i don't wanna do business wit them. best not waste time.....