Black People : Wheel Chairs in the Workplace

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by ediversity, Oct 31, 2001.

1. ediversity

ediversity Member MEMBER

Retired, after 30 years with one employer.
    Have lived in Regina, Saskatchewan-CANADA since 19
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused:
    On occassion, Occupational Health & Safety and/or Disabilities Council will pay the total costs of a new wheel chair for the individual who requires one, as the persons employer is not obligated to pay these costs.

Should the employer develop inclusive policies that will provide for some kind of payment of a new wheel chair for employees' that need them? After all, the employer pays for the abled bodied employees' chairs in the workplace.
    ediversity

2. epiphany

epiphany Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +40
    Welcome Edversity...

I think whats good for the goose is good for the gander
    as the ole saying goes. Just as the availability of able-bodied
    people have easy access to things that make thier job easier
    and productive. so should the handicap. I welcome you and hope to touch on further subject matter.

Epiphany :heart:

3. ediversity

ediversity Member MEMBER

Retired, after 30 years with one employer.
    Have lived in Regina, Saskatchewan-CANADA since 19
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can You Imagine!

Hey All,
    I have been blessed to know several people who use their wheel chairs for mobility each and every day. While having lunch with one of these folks, one of our many conversation topics was yard work in the summer time.

My friend went on to say that he cuts his grass by pushing his gas powered lawn mower ahead of him a few feet. He then wheels himself up to his mower, pushes it ahead of himself a few feet, wheels himself up to it, pushes it ahead of himself a few feet, etc., etc., etc. And sense he loves a nice trimmed yard, he uses hand sheers to do his trimming. I've seen his yard. It looks better that most in his well kept neighborhood.

The only way you would know a 'differently-abled' person lives at his address are the ramps at his front and back door.

My point...wheel chair folks should be admired, and respected. And they deserve to be provided the same opportunities as anyone else.

ediversity