Science and Technology : What's your tech?

anAfrican

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 1, 2005
StreetNationEarth: Seattle
Occupation
The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
"Give a man a fish, and he can fix himself a meal. Teach a man to fish and he can feed himself anytime."

Just curious, y'all:

Software:
Is everybody doing microsoft? Are there any apple users? Are there any open source users? (Free/Net/OpenBSD, Linux, etc.) What are you doing for home system security? (Anti virus, adware control, malware defense, hardware/software firewall.) (Actually, virii, trojans, keyloggers, pop-ups/unders, browser helper objects, (some) toolbars (and sometimes cookies, java/javascript apps, flash), can all be lumped under the label "malware".)

Hardware:
What kinda hardware are you running? (Which CPU; how much memory; which graphics controller; serial or parallel ATA; USB 1 or 2; firewire; peripherals?)

Are there any African tech businesses that do hardware stuff? Are there any African businesses that are marketing complete computer systems? (I'm thinking "white box" systems where one orders the parts, builds puters in-house and sells them out of one's own store-front/home business.)

Independence:
Are any of the African businesses NOT running on microsoft? (UNIX, Solaris, AIX. HP/UX, AS400? Or?) Are there any African businesses doing their own security/system administration/maintenance? Can you still access backups from two, five or more years ago?

Education:
Is there anyone interested in getting to know technology well enough to be self-sufficient?

(I'm runnng FreeBSD 4.10, on a 667Mhz Celeron board, with an XFCE4.2.1 desktop, using Mozilla 1.7.6. My firewall/gateway is a 486/66Mhz box running IPFW on FreeBSD 4.8, doing 1.5/768 DSL through Speakeasy. I've got a few other Pentium 1 machines networked with a Netgear 10baseT hub. All this stuff is administered/maintained and put together by me; such a nice feeling of accomplishment to feel safe to surf with tools that I built! No malware, no pop-ups, no central registry for just any web site to dig my personal info out of!! (That's how some of the "identity theft" happens; drive-by reading of your registry.)

<shrug> I like the idea of selecting my own rod, reel, line and lures, and then deciding where I want to go today to fish. I like the feeling of deciding just which fish I want to throw back, which go into the freezer and which go into the frying pan tonight! Not for me the one size fits all supermarket where they allow me only certain wines with my fish, and only certain sizes and types of fish, conveniently configured for broiling, baking or frying, and do their best to say that I have to store it in this freezer and use that stove with these pans!)

I have (1) Dell and (1) Gateway. Im running Mcafee anti-virus on one machine and Norton anti-virus on the other. I have both netscape and internet explor on both my computers. In the process of moving once I move it will be cable internet and wireless connects through out. Zone alarms pro firewall on both machines.

Hey African Good Post.

I am currently one desktop on an AMD Duron winth 512MB ram and Windows XP; however I am preparing to use Debian Linux on an old laptop to write screen plays. I wanted to use windows, but I needed an OS that was not going to rape my computer of resources :) as windows does. At any rate, my hardware is that special one Dell Laptop, and one Machine I built myself using a Biostar MB.

Education:

I am currently purusing a Degree in Information Technology and I am an IT professional with 5 years of work experience.

Full-time Linux/UNIX guru. I am in control of a small "harem" of machines at home (and at work), all running either FreeBSD or Linux. Each box has a separate function (firewall, fileserver, workstation, dev box, web/mail server, etc.) Actually I just recently converted my fileserver from Slack 9 to FreeBSD 5. Migrating 400GB of drive storage from one OS to another is not a fun task (particularly since FreeBSD does not like XFS partitions...).

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back