Black Money Business Jobs : What's Your Side Hustle?

Knowledge Seed

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 22, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Out of pure necessity, black people learned to develop multiple streams of income. We almost never do them full-time, but often keep them going for years. Y'all know these folks: The Candy Lady, the Bootleg man, The Lawnmower man, etc.

What's your side hustle? What do you do to bring in additional income(other than a part-time job)?

Out of pure necessity, black people learned to develop multiple streams of income. We almost never do them full-time, but often keep them going for years. Y'all know these folks: The Candy Lady, the Bootleg man, The Lawnmower man, etc.

What's your side hustle? What do you do to bring in additional income(other than a part-time job)?

I have a craft business along with my full time job.

I make crochet doilies, cotton tablecloths with crochet inserts, table napkins, name doilies for the ladies' dresser and also berets. I am working also on baby blankets.

Embroidery is also included.

Now tell me Knowledge Seed what is your side hustle.:lol::lol:

Electrical repair. It's amazing how easy it is to get people to pay for what they don't understand. Much of what I do only takes reading and asking questions, but no..they rather pay me $200 for replacing a simple disconnect sw.

Peace!

Wow....good question. I see things the same as you've said.

Before H & R Block-nem went to offering electronic filing with refunds available in 2 weeks, and stuff like TurboTax was invented, I used to make a few hunned a year doing peoples' income taxes for them. Every year, like clockwork. I charged a flat 10% of their refund. If it turned out that they owed, then I didn't charge them anything. Made respectable pocket change that way for close to 20 years (it's amazing just how many people *fear* filing their taxes on their own, each year. Even the EZ form). I usually declined the 1040, or referred the work to this Brother I knew back when (and he was in it for extra pocket change, himself). In his real life, he was a local truck driver.

I might do 2 to 3 in a given school year--I help prospective students fill out and file their FAFSA for college loans. I do *not* do the little tests, re: loan rules, interest, or sign their promissory notes and etc.--I make them do all that, themselves--it's stuff they need to know they are responsible for (and not me).

I've begun to mix and make up, then *charge* for a few napptural haircare products that I make for my own use. I also used to sell incense (Shahadah) out of Jamaica, NY (best quality incense I've ever had for sale/personal use).

I haven't done it in a while, but I also used to type up research papers for university students. Did that, off and on, since the mid-70's, though I haven't done any more for the past 8 to 10 years. That's decent money that's always *out there* even today, though it's also a pretty tough gig at the same time.

Most recently, though, I've raised quick, easy dough via yard sales. Just a few things, at first. I've actually become pretty good at putting yard sales together. Took me a few times at it before I figured my sales angle, though. Set up just right, yard sales can actually be fun (bargaining with folk first wanting to walk off with my good stuff without paying me a fair price? I don't think so). I even manage to sell a few dinners (though food sales is iffy, at best). Bump good sounds, have bottled water and pop all iced up in a couple of coolers (for sale, no doubt), and when I'm camped in a relative's front yard, I can even sell *camp out space* to others @ $10.00 of their profit (to give immediately to my relative as a thank you, no doubt).

I'm fortunate in that I know this Sister who has 4 to 5 big event sized folding tables (she does professional quality events at conventions to sell her branded, custom artsy-craftsy wares--clothes, jewelry, statuary, incense). Sometimes, she has loaned me 2-3 tables when she's been in town between events.

I wish I knew how to french braid, because I know too many Sisters who braid hair for pay--from teens to mature women. They do as many Brothers' heads as Sisters! I can start folks up with loccs, but not braids (sigh).

CAR WASH! It was for a funeral, but my family once raised $910.00 in less than 5 hours (minimum $5.00 donation) on a Saturday, so we did TWO car washes! The next day, same site, we raised another $600.00 plus. Also, particularly during the spring months here in Phx., it's no big deal to see a young Black couple parked and set-up in front of a mom and pop place (store or restaurant), one or two kids in tow, *busting suds* (washing cars) to make rent.

So, yes indeed! These days especially, it is *real* if you've somehow figured out a hustle, and then turned *entrepreneur* for your sump'n-sump'n extra.

One Love, and PEACE

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back