Black Spirituality Religion : What's Wrong with Paganism?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by river, Sep 19, 2010.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    When I first left the Christian church folks here in the spirituality forum desperately wanted me to give my new beliefs a name. I just didn't feel a need to do so. The whole idea of slapping a label onto my beliefs means I have to buy a bill of goods and will be judged not by the validity of my beliefs but on how closely they conform to the label.

Still posters here wanted me to call it something so I made up something on the spot. I called it Starism. Later that day smaddy came back and said "Sista river I've looked all over the internet for Starism and can't find anything. Do you have any literature?" I like to fell out of my chair.

But now a lot has been said about paganism here lately. What exactly is paganism and what's wrong with it? I see it as any religion that's not Christianity, Judaism or Islam. But Coming from a Judeo-Christian background the implication is that any other religion is somehow invalid or primitive. Since I no longer hold Judeo-Christian beliefs I can no longer think of any religion as pagan.

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    :fyi: white people do not like it.......

3. gogounited

gogounited Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +358
    Sadly, most who have issue with it cannot see the underlying universal theme to which all religions belong and attempt to accomplish--and that is aiding mankind in identifying itself with Creator, so that in like manner, mankind can co-create in harmony.

Their inability to conceive of the fact that Christianity (or Islam) itself came from "paganism" is driven and based upon FEAR. The irony is that this fear comes directly as a result of pagans telling them how to perceive, what to fear, etc. through reinterpretation of pagan material (bible) into "Christian" material.

4. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Hey sista gogo,

I'd like you to elaborate more on what you are saying here where I enlarged the text.
    thanx

5. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    The dictionary definition for paganism is 'country dweller' and 'heathen.'
    When trying to convert people to christianity, the people in the cities were easier to reach. Those in the mountains, the country, and rural areas where harder to get too, so many of those people were more able to retain old spiritualities and religion - hence paganism being 'heathens' and 'country dwellers.' Many of the country dwellers were unconverted.

I was told that paganism is an umbrella term to include indigenous spirituality (such as native american and old african traditional.) But the Native Amers, Africans, and those who study ATR do not consider themselves pagan. Pagan is closely associated with Wicca and often used synonymously and interchangeably with the term Wicca. Wicca has euro roots of scott/irish/welch.

Like native american and african, paganism is an earth based spirituality which was why I was drawn to it in the beginning. Earth based spirituality is when the presence of god is considered to be all of that you see, feel, and hear in nature, including yourself (you're apart of nature). Nature is the omnipotence and essence that is god, and therefore nature itself it revered and worship as such. The underlying theme in earth based spirituality is living in harmony and balance with the larger natural world and not in defiance and opposition to it.

Christianity has a lot of pagan roots still present in the religion to this day, although most of them do not like to acknowledge those roots. Paganism includes instances of cosmic manipulation, commonly referred to as 'craft.' Christians think of 'craft' as black magic, witchcraft, and devil worship.

6. StefiA

StefiA Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +215
    Interestingly as you say Wicca is found in Wales, Scotland and Ireland - those are the three places where Celtic people live and there was a discussion I had with some folk re the black origin of the Celts on another board - don't know if anyone here has ever heard about that.

7. gogounited

gogounited Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +358
    Sister River,

It is good to see you posting again. What I mean by pagans reinterpreting "scripture" and in doing so delineating how one as a christian must think, feel, do, etc. is that when one studies the history of religion from the mouths of people (etymology) rather than simply getting ones historical information from the hands of educators, which are covered in blood of yours and my ancestors, it becomes quite apparent that those who cannonized the bible, were practicing "paganism" themselves.

That is, the bible is a pagan collection of writings whose purpose is to hide the truth in esoteric fashion while dictating to the masses that the same truth should be feared. To be more detailed, the bible is meant to scare people away from manifestation. In the meantime, it is encrypted with instructions involving the same.

Christians fear "the occult" without realizing that those who cannonized the books of the bible, were occultists themselves, using it as a tool to ward people away from the occult, because it is power.

The problem, as I see it, is that these same Europeans have accosted this power for themselves. It is the quintessential tale of great power having fallen into the hands of evil men. Our present world, it's societal woes, and the injustices that accompany them are the results of this travesty. And there are many people who would wish for our children a better place, a world of harmony, whose fear has grown so much so, that they refuse to wield their own powers of manifestation. That fear is seeded by a few who are manifesting out of balance, who use the dark deceased to accomplish such goals (and are being used themselves) such as world wars, slavery, oppression, and delineation of idea and identity of all people in the world.

8. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    Celtic is the origin of Wicca. I've never heard of Black Celtic, but I've heard of Black Irish. At one point Irish weren't even considered white, but thought to be akin to black or was black? There was a book I had been thinking of picking up about that, but the name escapes me. I'm fond of red hair which is commonly found in Irish populations..... and this was suppose to have started out kinky or very curly, like afro textured hair. Hair texture was supposedly a reason Irish was considered black or akin to black.

But I don't know that much about it, just know of it.

9. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    :10500: white people are now sisters?

10. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

- LOL

The religious mind is programmed to "believe" that if you are not of my religion than anything you subscribe to is PAGAN!

ain't no more to it.....