Black People : What's wrong with our youth?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by MsInterpret, Dec 6, 2010.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    What do you see is wrong with the black youth of today?

What are some of the challenges you see them face in this present day?

What advice can you offer them?

What are some things you can do or do to help them succeed?

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    like the rest of us our youth have been brainwashed with the values of the system of white supremacy. those values are toxic.

3. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486

peace

One of the problems i see and i would place it in the top 3 on the list is RESPECT. They have lost just about all respect for anything, but i don't think it's all their fault. Some of us have not taught them to be respectful.

One of the challenges i see them facing is trying to figure out who is lying to them and who is telling the truth. They are constantly bombarded with mixed messages that obviously would leave one in a state of confusion.

Some of the advice i give my son and his friends is to never follow anyone. As long as it is positive, do what works for you! Never go on a road trip without at least one book with you. never let your chin hit your chest. And there is no such thing as being bored as long as you are able to read.

Things that can be done to help them stay focused and succeed is to always keep them busy, either mentally or physically. Make sure they spend time around positive adults other then their parents. Try to make sure they go thru a "rights of passage", if you know of any in your community. Never force them into any type of religion, you can guide them but ultimately they have to find their own way. If at all possible get them involved in the martial arts, it's a great way to keep them focused. Try to get involved in the "big brother" program (s) in your area and try to connect with the youth that feel that they are all alone in the world.

peace

4. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043

The youth lack guidance... they lack respect.. they lack nurturing.. they lack
    an aggressive and organized effort to usher them up, over, around,
    under and through the physical / psychological / spiritual barriers, traps holes
    , prisons and vices, (man-made and not..) that await them as hungry as a
    tiger.
    . Generally speaking of course.. and they lack because their parent's
    generation has not yet figured their own way through that same gauntlet.

5. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Okay but where is the advice?

Lets not just say only what they don't do but how they can improve also...

Don't leave this generation with no answers, and leave them with only excuses

6. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    A lot of the children coming up today are the children of children, teens and even [preteens who themselves were the children of the so called sexual revolution which experimented with society and yet refuses to take responsibility for the ills that came out of this experiment.

We must stop being afraid of our youth. We must remember that deep down under all the horror we see on the surface is a child who is crying out, who is afraid and distrustful. We can't do like our parents did, though. the do as you're told method won't work. Intelligence, compassion, integrity and consistency will.

First posted by brotha oldsoul in the means forum

7. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    One of the problems is our youth having babies who themselves are not guided
    they lack respect to themself and others , they have been hooked into the system
    of misunderstanding/hip hop rap / brainwashed by the media system and lost in
    a world's city street ........They have given up hope for the fast lane life !

Today our youth is mentally challenge , so we have to give them that challenge
    we have to continue to give advice to life measures , show them Love and warmth
    nurture them in the right direction.....We have to give them or set up activities that
    keeps many of our young youth off the streets...

We know that there are many of our youth whom are going above and beyond
    we have to keep these children motivated in there goals to get pass the system
    that has many of us trap in...

We must stop writing them off and listen to them , understand what they saying
    and mother & father them with good advice in life and for the future of there growth

Education is the leading source for our youth

Motivation is the key to there betterment

Love is the power source to many youth's feelings

Technology today is what we can offer for it will carry them a long way

We need more social clubs / YMCA's / After school programs

Black men doing the big brother /little brother hook up / teach them responsibilities
    Let them know they can be trusted .

Black women .....doing more thing with younge ladies /youth and girls
    like showing them they are more then hair and body but beautiful throughout
    teach them the values of a woman and give them faith to believe there is hope
    sho them how to bake / sew / understand responsibilites

Bring Reading programs or make our own circle to better guide our youth
    away from the teaching of the streets and it's values.

8. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    This is just my opinion so if it steps on anyones toes, just keep in mind that it's just one mans opinion. Until we solve our marriage and out of wedlock childbirth problems, our problems with our children will only grow progressively worse.

The "it takes a village" ideology only works when there is positive and productive things happening in the village. What it really takes is PARENTS

Every Black man should make a vow to never, ever, ever, EVER concieve a child outside the bounds of a committed marriage. If you concieve a child with a person that you are not committed to for life, you are doing that child a disservice. I say Black "man" specifically because IMO, our women are doing their job...unfortunately, in many cases, they find themselves forced to do ours as well. Children, both boys and girls, NEED positive, compassionate, men in their lives.

My point is that the problem is not our children, its our children's parents. Especially their fathers.

I know a several positive and productive Black children. Most of that can be credited to their home training. There are exceptions to that, some are influenced by teachers or others but in most cases, the standards and values that are taught and inforced in the home will dictate rather a child embrace the negative influences of the world or reject them.

9. Mikha'el

Mikha'el Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Student
    Ratings:
    +246
    I can only speak for myself here & what i've seen/feel being im part of the group your talking of

1) it'd been nice to have wise people to talk to or would speak to me even when i acted ignorant....sure i had my parents but they werent enough....i often at times recall disregarding my dad's wisdom often simply cause i didnt want to hear him...i've always rebelled in a way....but still having other members of the community who would at least speak n say what needed to be said woulda been nice to have espically now..dont quit on us

2) Having a less superfacial culture would be benefitical...i walk n see the same ppl doing the same sterotypical ish...ish tht i do for yrs untill i learned better

3) I'd like to see people be accountable...i went to an associate's house for new years & his mother had the nerve to allow his brother whos 3 i believe to be served alochol...i was quite offended...the mother doesn't quite put her foot down & makes her son accountable....upsets me dearly to see such irresponsibility

A solution....get a leader or leaders who can relate to us to start instilling values while young...empower the youth early of thier past while you can....none of these old leaders are gonna do it...i personally ignore them not cause i dont respect their msg n viewpoints but just find them often to blabber on & find em mayb a bit out of touch....i feel the youth would respond better to ppl our age who have similar wisdom as these older leaders but can relate better....they could better instill stories of racism they heard or experienced & better connect with ppl like myself

10. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    I don't think anything is wrong with our youth. They are doing exactly what they are supposed to do. Why did I say that? I said it because they are nothing more than "the effect of a cause". Cause those before them didn't do what they were supposed to do, the children are the effect. Because those before them didn't speak or act when they were supposed to, the children are the effect. When those before them became aware that the government created the aids and they did nor said anything, they became the effect. When those before them found out that the government created crack and they did nor said anything, they became the effect.

It's kind of hard to respect those who did not have enough respect for themselves or the children of the future to the point where they did nor said anything. There's nothing slow about these children today. There's nothing hopeless about them either. Those before them were supposed to have taken it to the streets, the ballot, the system itself if need be....and when those future children came along that everyone is so afraid of, we could have told them; "we acted like that...we did that because we found out that they were trying to kill us off. We found out that they were trying to destroy our future by the killing and criminalization of our children....that's why we acted like that!

They know what went down and we don't have jack to tell them. What we gone say, we was afraid to die? We was afraid they would lock us up? What are we going to say!!?!