Internet Technology : what's wrong with facebook? what is the down side of facebook?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by jamesfrmphilly, May 21, 2014.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    i have now had a couple people tell me they will not go on facebook.
    will someone tell me what is the down side of facebook?

2. Flavia

Flavia Well-Known Member MEMBER

Romania
    Lazy person.
    Ratings:
    +63
    One of the down sides of Facebook (just like almost everything, including Internet, they might have many advantages, but also some disadvantages. Take Internet for example, it has a lot of advantages, but a dark side as well- extreme right groups looking for adepts and Internet provides them with one of the best tools of recruitment, sexual predators that now have the opportunity to "be" how they want on net+ a certain degree of anonymity, etc) is that if you suffer of Depression, Social Anxiety, just going thourgh a bad time in your life, etc- comparing your life with the life of people on Facebook (and forgeting they are showing only the glamorous side of their life) can make you feel even worse. I've unfortunately seen it happen.
    The other one is that Facebook might not exactely be forever, but posting without thinking can have very bad results, as some people found out. People can read what you write- so if you post how much you hate your job, employer- and you find yourself without a job because he/she read your rants....well, it is not a very pleasent thing to happen, but it can happen. And your future employers might read it too...if you are a public person, get drunk, post a totally insensitive comment on Facebook (as a guy in my area found out in a quite painful way)....you might end up next day with around 5000 people who now hate you and some of them who wants to get you fired.

3. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    Waaaay to many kids, or adults with childish nature.
    About 5 years ago, a 13 yr old girl propositioned me when I was using it. Now, I can't be sure, but to me, it was either a very confused child, a cop trying to set me up or some adult just trying to get a rise out of me. In any case, I wasn't interested in any of those options, so I deleted my account and have never looked back.
    But it's also just the nature of it. Somebody always wants you to play a game, or just drowns your site with the latest info of how they did this man/woman the night before.
    It may be for some, but I personally need a more interesting and stimulating site, where I can get/share knowledge.

4. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,926
    Lack of privacy, too many kids wanting to be your friend, and it's anti-social, which is the way most communication is today.

Peace!

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  5. shaka64

shaka64 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Photographer
    Ratings:
    +956
    Nothing, for an adult with common sense (even though sense ain’t common)

6. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Well, I never did do "MySpace" when it was all the rage; and I was kinda late to the Facebook thang. But, I don't see the problems some other people may have with Facebook.

Unlike a message board, one gets to choose/approve whom will be on your "Friends" list, who can post on your page, and who can even view your page.

I have over 600 "Friends" made up of family; high school and college mates; past and present co-workers; and my Sorors and Fraternity Brothers, mostly Black. --- all of different faiths and age groups: 20s thru 60s. Also, I have some homosexual friends and family members.

I don't do FB "beefs" and, frankly, I HAVE and WILL delete or block someone if their posts, which come across my page, are disrespectful, silly, childish and/or obscene. I don't care who they are, family or not. That's their business but I don't have to see their mess.

But, for the most part, all of my "Friends" are respectful with what they post. And, most GROWN FOLKS know better than to air their personal business on FB.

At my age, most of my "Friends" are posting about their community outreach, church, hobbies, careers, family/children/grandchildren, and funny or motivational stuff. We also have discussions about politics, religion, the Black Family, finances and relationships.

Again, overall, I don't see or experience the negatives some others do with Facebook. You can "share" as much or as little as you'd like and you can choose who "shares" with you.

7. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    Facebook is the opposite of an anonymous message board like destee.com.. it's a message board where everyone's identity is verified.. loosely through association.

The downside really depends on the kind of people you connect-up with. The one thing I don't like is hearing all of the bad news that folks have to share. Depending on how large your circle of friends is, it can really impact you.. especially as we get older.. and more and more people start getting sick.. and surgeries.. and dying..

I'm linked up with folks that I've known since 1st grade.. and family all over the world.. and also I have another account just for folks I've never met in person.. it can be useful.. but I don't use it nearly as much as I once did..

8. Deacs

Deacs Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +567
    Its resourceful depending on your motives. Like keeping in contact with their location if you ever need an organ.

But I really stay away from social media though... I mostly see people expressing non essential opinions and monolgues. And celebrity unable to keep their mouths shut for the sake of their paychecks

9. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,471
    everything u say can and will be used against u in a court of law...

one love
    khasm

10. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    I have been invited by friends of mine to join Facebook. I am not interested. I have no intention of posting my personal information on a website where millions of people can see. As a rule I only go on Destee and another Christian website. I personally believe that my time should be used wisely and being on Facebook is not my cup of tea.:(