Black Authors : "What's The Spook by DaQuan Morrison

cherryblossom

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 28, 2009
Queens boy publishes book to help raise money for cancer research

DaeQuan Morrison, 12, wrote 'What's the Spook?' to help young people overcome their fears -- and benefit cancer research at Feinstein Institute for Medical Research

BY JOE PARZIALE / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

PUBLISHED: TUESDAY, JUNE 26, 2012, 4:00 AM

UPDATED: WEDNESDAY, JUNE 27, 2012, 10:15 AM

When a hospital reached out to a Queens woman to ask if they could use her case of breast cancer to help find a cure, her son wanted to find a way to give back to the hospital.

At 12 years old, DaeQuan Morrison decided to publish a book that he had written two years earlier for his fifth-grade class and donate a portion of the proceeds to the Feinstein Institute for Medical Research, where his mother Patricia was taking part in a clinical trial.

“My mother donated her cancer there, so I wanted to give back and help find a cure for cancer,” said DaeQuan, now 13.

The book, “What’s the Spook?” follows the story of a boy whose series of escalating nightmares lead him into the underworld. It culminates, DaeQuan said, with the boy’s realization that his closeness to God is the only way to overcome his fears.

DaeQuan said “What’s the Spook?” is based on his own experiences as a child, when he suffered from chronic nightmares.

He added that the book was also fitting considering the Cambria Heights family’s struggles watching Patricia battle cancer and undergo treatment.

“When I first wrote about it wasn’t supposed to be like that, but when you look at it now you can definitely see it that way,” DaeQuan said.