Food Discussion : What's One Dish You Love to Cook or Prepare?

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
Thanks for the lesson Omowale. Its so interesting to know where our spices and foods originated. I love me some okra ... anytime, anywhere!
Yeah. Dad used to be in the restaurant biz so he passed some things along to me. That's why I always use the okra. Here's why:

http://www.kadiafricanrecipes.com/okra-soup.html

I just never acquired a taste for fufu but with some yam salad you got a hearty meal.

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
I love to do bbq. I use pecan with hickory for my chicken or mesquite and red oak. My dad, brothers and I have an ongoing BBQ pit masters competition. I am at a disadvantage because I don't have one of those good big pits but I still put in work.

I want to start a bbq joint. Vegas don't have any good bbq and I would sell Natchitoches meatpies as a tapas too. Ever had tamales from Zwolle?
Sounds good to me. No. I ain't been down that way but will put Zwolle on my to do list if I ever make it back home.

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
Yeah. Dad used to be in the restaurant biz so he passed some things along to me. That's why I always use the okra. Here's why:

http://www.kadiafricanrecipes.com/okra-soup.html

I just never acquired a taste for fufu but with some yam salad you got a hearty meal.
Dad used to say that it ain't gumbo without the okra. He say gumbo literally means gumbo to the Akan. Always used a tomato base in his. In Ghana they use a plant in the okra stew called: http://betumiblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/recipe-91-light-okra-soup-wchicken-ewe.html?m=1

gboma.

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist

Blackbird

Jan 31, 2004
Da Desert, literally
Occupation
Professional Hitman
Dad used to say that it ain't gumbo without the okra. He say gumbo literally means gumbo to the Akan. Always used a tomato base in his. In Ghana they use a plant in the okra stew called: http://betumiblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/recipe-91-light-okra-soup-wchicken-ewe.html?m=1

gboma.
I agree. It ain't gumbo without okra. I make a blonde roux and mix it with tomato sauce for a creole style gumbo. The end result is a medium brown color. I like heavy thyme flavor with a little vinegar for kick. To me, a good gumbo has a complex flavor profile, should be rich and hearty.

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
I agree. It ain't gumbo without okra. I make a blonde roux and mix it with tomato sauce for a creole style gumbo. The end result is a medium brown color. I like heavy thyme flavor with a little vinegar for kick. To me, a good gumbo has a complex flavor profile, should be rich and hearty.
As the saying goes, "sho' u rite"!

shaka64

STAFF
STAFF
Feb 15, 2007
africa
Occupation
Photographer
Out of all the dishes you've cooked and prepared in your lifetime, what's one that you always look forward to making, whether simple or complicated, for yourself or your fam? And what's the reason you love to make it? For taste, for health, for its look, or for some other reason? Please share! If ya want...:p
I do a three sausage (Patton hot sausage, Andouille sausage and D&D sausage) , Shrimp, Crawfish, Jambalaya, topped with lump crab claw meat. Fresh Bell peppers, sweet yellow onions, green onions and a little garlic. 17th ward style (pigeon town) its an all time favorite and I always have the ingredients in the fridge.

Blackbird

Jan 31, 2004
Da Desert, literally
Occupation
Professional Hitman
I do a three sausage (Patton hot sausage, Andouille sausage and D&D sausage) , Shrimp, Crawfish, Jambalaya, topped with lump crab claw meat. Fresh Bell peppers, sweet yellow onions, green onions and a little garlic. 17th ward style (pigeon town) its an all time favorite and I always have the ingredients in the fridge.
Brother, next time you make some ship some to Vegas. I will pay for shipping and any production costs. I haven't heard about D&D sausage in a hot minute.

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

Ms Drea wrote on butterfly#1's profile.
Hi Sister,
Miss you so much I hope all is well with you and yours!!
Love and Blessings!! :heart: :heart:
Implementation and Sustainment
You can skip rocks across water but if you're not building yourself up rock solid, you'll drown under pressure.
11-5-19✍
Fireman wrote on Queenie's profile.
Hi, Queenie. Love your posts. Even though I don't you, you must be some kind of remarkable and lovely person. Lets keep in touch.
It's okay to admire otherz, but first, love self. ELEVATE your self-image by having a healthy love & respect for yourself. ✍