Black People : What's in a name? Colored, Black, Brown, Afro, Negro, Etc

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by UBNaturally, Apr 4, 2016.

1. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    This is one of those, yep

Why are we so moved and reactive to some of the labels that we have either chosen, or were given?
    What weight does it carry, and does the burden or pride that comes with them create more of a distraction than an existing empowerment?

I ask because of a few websites that came to mind, and the reaction to them... based on the naming presumably.

Myspace.com... seems ok right?
    Blackplanet.com... kind of raised eyebrows, but seems ok right?
    Ni----space.com... Whoa, PUMP THE BRAKES !%!*

Click link to read

Yea, years back when this came on the scene, I realized the game was getting raw, with more players and more diverse tactics.

There were even protests on online petitions to get the site shutdown.

WEB SITE N-WORD OUTRAGE
    http://nypost.com/2006/10/29/web-site-n-word-outrage/

Shut down ni**aspace.com

The petition

The black community as an whole should be completely offended that a website like this should even be allowed to exist. Not only is it unjustified, it is blatantly discriminatory towards any people of African decent. the most shocking part of the website is in its mission statement and how it wants to create a place were we can be us. I find it ironic that the creators of the website are white and they are attempting to find a place were WE can be US. So far over 30,000 ignorant black people have joined. If you or anyone you know have joined this offensive website I think you should take a moment and rethink that decision.

Also, for anybody who has seen the site, it should be manifestly clear to any black person that black people weren't actually involved in the creation of the site judging from the language and tone. There's some pretty ugly stuff in there embedded in fake profiles. I'm having trouble bringing the unstable site up, but one of the profiles involved a married white man who loved his wife but felt he could never be a true "*****" until he'd had a taste of the big round *** that only sweet black poontang can provide.

This is disgusting.African american people have seen many forms of hate and ignorance. The worse kind of hate is self hate. We as people came too far to to accept ignorance, even if it comes from our own. Please sign this petition to let the makers of ni**aspace.com know how disgusting and unexceptable their site is.

I made this petition to fight racism, not support it.I know if you feel the same way I do then your angry or frustrated, but I ask that you don't reply racism with more racism. Calling white people racial slurs is racist in its self. Replying hate with hate keeps the cycle going and it needs to stop. If your going to sign the petition and use racial slurs against white people, be a smart *** and suport ni**aspace, or use profanity,then I WILL delete your singiture and comment. Thank you ​

And some petitions to keep it because of the petitions created to shut it down
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/keep

It (ni**aspace.com) was shutdown of course (no longer exists).... or was it (or does it)?

Never really paid much attention to many social media sites after the BP conundrum, and this was after a Myspace detraction.

But perusing this thing called "WorldStarHipHop", I began to wonder.... hmmmm?
    http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/

Is this really worth the jail time?

Essentially the same content, catered to a similar character of persons

But does seem some are building an attempt, though it may be futile, to shut this down as well.

Shut Down World Star Hip Hop
    Petition by J.M.G.

To be delivered to

The United States House of Representatives, The United States Senate, and President Barack Obama

Shut down the website World Star Hip Hop and ban similar websites which condone, accept submissions of, and feature "hood fight videos".

There are currently 909 signatures. NEW goal - We need 1,000
    http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/shut-down-world-star

These petitions come and go, but does it make a difference?
    Does labeling and content affect how we think of ourselves individually?

Or is this something that we all have to accept and embrace somehow?

But this then opens up a bigger question:

What is in the label and the names we accept and choose for ourselves?
    And is this a collection decision, or an individual one?

Respect

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,736
  3. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    While I was in retail many years ago, there were obvious coding of music genres, not based on the music, but more so the cultural and ethnic identification.

For example, Mariah Carey would always be placed in the Pop/Rock section, though she was obviously R&B (early on at least).

Michael McDonald and Michael Bolton would be in Easy Listening, when they were essentially "Soul".

The Insane Clown Posse, Limp Bizkit, Beastie Boys and even Eminem were placed in Pop/Rock.

Of course these were "white rappers" with guitar runs within their songs, so with the exception of Eminem who they later had no choice but to put in the "Rap" section, how are they considered "Pop/Rock"?

It's easy for business and A&R execs to determine investment capital based on labeling.

Here is the breakdown:

Pop/Rock = White/Crossover music for majority white consumers
    Easy Listening = White/Multicultural music that may include soulful sounds

--- also can be referred to a Soft Rock ---

Gospel = From African Methodist Episcopalian, this sound was the origins of "Blues"
    Blues = Downtempo Soulful funk, labeled as a companion to "Jazz".
    R&B/Soul = Uptempo soulful funk, labeled as Urban/Black music
    Rap = This would be typically under R&B/Soul, which was because of the ethnic consolidating.

--- "black" section over in this one little area, everything else here and there and everywhere ---

Bluegrass = Origins of Country music ("white" blues)
    Country = Southern "white" blues

Classical = Instrumental, no ethnic or cultural markers
    Jazz = Instrumental focus, with vocals at times, no ethnic or cultural markers​

Reason why I bring this up is because of the coding systems that are often updated subtly.

"Hip Hop" is a code term for "black", or more so now, the other word.
    This is why many understood that "Hip Hop" died as soon as it became POP-ular ("white").

So when the "white" rappers like to rap about shooting another "n-word", and what they want to do in the name of violence, that is the mind of "white" execs that love nothing more than to keep the distraction going.

This is what is currently on the front of WSHH

upload_2016-4-4_11-49-36.png

First thing I noticed was this "Mark of the Beast" on his forehead...
    No sweat.

There is an obvious intentional overlap of -Let me out- and -Say-

Play the video, and the first thing uttered was:

"Let me out Satan"

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/kevingates/nottheonlyone.html
    (of course not dictated in the lyrics, as it is audible)

After reading the lyrics, how does this fit into part of a community, when it comes to "liberation"?

Or is it just survival of the fittest now?