Black People : What's harming our Black Youth

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by truetothecause, Oct 25, 2009.

1. truetothecause

truetothecause Well-Known Member MEMBER

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    I don't neccessarily like the title here and I would have called in something else. I do hear the message loud and clear and think it's important enough to share with a larger audience.
    I moved this from Destee's thread on black video's cause the flow was moving differently and this seemed out of order there.

I will follow this video with video's teaching and sharing about how to HELP Black Youth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=]D1ULYXMbLg0&feature=player_profilepage

for those who can not view the vid..

****ADULT CONTENT******

How to Kill Black Youth...
    LISTEN TO LEARN.....LEARN TO LISTEN
    to the VOICE of the Youth.....Experiences

M.E.

:hearts2:

2. truetothecause

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    The Development of Black Youth

Here is parts 1 and 2 of this twelve part series. I do not know this scholars name because who ever posted cut out the intro part of the lecture-

The Development of Black Youth 1

The Development of Black Youth 2

M.E.

3. truetothecause

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    No wonder he looks familiar.....That's Dr. L. Afrika!

M.E.

4. Ms Drea

Ms Drea STAFF STAFF

United States
    Educator
    Ratings:
    +272
    Sister True,
    The speaker is Dr. Llaila Afrika!!
    Love & Blessings,
    DREA

5. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    What's harming our Black Youth?

Our complacency

and lack of focus

on spending at least one hour per week

focusing on solutions to this problem

6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    what's harming our youth ?

Is corrupted mindz
    blind eyez and no teaching
    people afraid to speak
    to busy creating a problem then finding a solution to a problem

7. truetothecause

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    Hotep Ankhur and Thanks for Sharing....

I'm wondering :thinking:
    You said "Our complacency" and I wonder how do you see yourself as complacent:?:

Have you spent at least one hour per week focusing on solutions and if so, what solutions have you come up with:?:

For me, I've developed a program to support our Recovery, I offer myself, my skills and story to support people getting to KNOW SELF as a first step and implementation of a part of the solution. I share my program despite what seems to be fact, that many are not interested in practicing it.

M.E.

8. truetothecause

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    Hotep Brother $$RICH$$ and Thanks for Sharing....

Couple thoughts came up for me as I listened to your sharing.

1. Fear of speaking up does seem to be a barrier to folk taking that FIRST STEP towards fixing the problem. I know I've experienced for myself, when I "speak up" many converge upon me to TELL ME what's WRONG with what I'm saying. I hear parents doing the same with their children as well. It seems we are programmed to simply follow what someone TELLS us to do and when one speaks up questioning, seeking to overstand, they are told to shut up and do...

2. How do you see people "creating a problem":?: Cause for real, it seems simply acknowledging or pointing to a problem gets labeled as problematic yet I'm not sure how one can find and implement solutions if identifying the problem becomes "the problem".

M.E.

9. truetothecause

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    Peace to All!

I entitled this thread as I did because I did not like the title of the video..."how to kill black youth". That is not energy word thoughts that I wish to promote in any way, shape or form.

The video however provides a clear message in terms of what is harming our youth. White lunacy, hypocrisy and destructive mixed messages about what is valuable and valued in them.

We and our youth have been "set up". We have been told one thing yet showed another. i.e the way to 'success' is gain of material wealth by any means necessary then penalized when they/we do just that.

When you take away a person's resources for survival, you set them up to engage in "any means necessary" to survive. That is the primary message I hear in that video. It is a shystem I see played out daily in my work. Our youth and many elders, have brought into it hook, line and sinker such that when an alternative is offered, your viewed as crazy. Getting "paper" or getting "paid" is the order of the day...by any means necessary cause the kids gotta eat and have a roof over their heads.

When 'solutions' are offered the gate-keepers of the shystem are present to shut that down, penalize the one offering solutions and reinforcing the destructive behaviors. This is going on on every level of lived experience. In this society, in the communities, in families and individual life when we stop speaking up for fear of retaliation.

As you all see, I included messages to help parents understand Black youth and what has happened and what can be done to counter those faulty messages.

M.E.

10. truetothecause

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    Email received from the Whirlwind ....

Many thanks to Brother K for sending this to me. Please read this entire article. Surely you have time to learn what is going on in many of our public school systems. If not, read the excerpts below; maybe they will spur you on to read the article. Once again, I applaud Amefika Geuka for his 1,069 mile walk to bring attention to this matter and to charge Black people with the responsibility of educating and saving our own children. The link for the article is below. Jim

Handcuffing and shackling our children, probably to get them use to it in preparation for what will surely come later in their lives? Why do we continue to tolerate this?

In another instance that took place in December 2004, "Porsche, a fourth-grade student at a Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, elementary school, was yanked out of class, handcuffed, taken to the police station and held for eight hours for bringing a pair of eight-inch scissors to school. She had been using the scissors to work on a school project at home. School district officials acknowledged that the girl was not using the scissors as a weapon or threatening anyone with them, but scissors qualified as a potential weapon under state law."[5]

It gets worse. Adopting a rigidly authoritarian zero tolerance school discipline policy, the following incident in the Chicago Public Schools system signals both bad faith and terrible judgment on the part of educators implementing these practices. According to the report "Education on Lockdown," in February 2003, a 7-year-old boy was cuffed, shackled and forced to lie face down for more than an hour while being restrained by a security officer at Parker Community Academy on the Southwest Side. Neither the principal nor the assistant principal came to the aid of the first grader, who was so traumatized by the event he was not able to return to school.[6]

Teaching our children how to take tests rather than how to learn, how to think critically...

Today, in the age of standardized testing, thinking and acting, reason and judgment have been thrown out the window just as teachers are increasingly being deskilled and forced to act as semi-robotic technicians good for little more than teaching for the test and serving as a reminder that we are arriving at a day when the school curriculum will be teacher-proof. This loss of autonomy results in the sabotaging of critical education and the rise of a culture of security that now defines schools through the narrow optics of measurement and discipline.

Henry A. Giroux | Schools and the Pedagogy of Punishment
    Henry A. Giroux, Truthout: "The shift to a society now governed through crime, market-driven values and the politics of disposability has radically transformed the public school as a site for a civic and critical education. One major effect can be seen in the increasingly popular practice of organizing schools through disciplinary practices that closely resemble the culture of prisons."
    Read the Article

M.E.