Black People : What's Going on in Detroit? all P.S. Teachers face layoffs??

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Ankhur, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    Detroit sends layoff notices to all public teachers
    Reuters
    CHICAGO — The emergency manager appointed to put Detroit's troubled public school system on a firmer financial footing said on Thursday he was sending layoff notices to all of the district's 5,466 unionized employees.
    In a statement posted on the website of Detroit Public Schools, Robert Bobb, the district's temporary head, said notices were being sent to every member of the Detroit Federation of Teachers "in anticipation of a workforce reduction to match the district's declining student enrollment."

Bobb said nearly 250 administrators were receiving the notices, too.

The district is unlikely to eliminate all the teachers. Last year, it sent out 2,000 notices and only a fraction of employees were actually laid off. But the notices are required by the union's current contract with the district. Any layoffs under this latest action won't take effect until late July.

In the meantime, Bobb said that he planned to exercise his power as emergency manager to unilaterally modify the district's collective bargaining agreement with the Federation of Teachers starting May 17, 2011.

Under a law known as Public Act 4, passed by ........

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42600896/ns/us_news/

2. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    According to Detroit's mayor the other day, that unless the city can cut $200 million from the budget, the city faces a takeover by an EFM.
    I think that we here in Michigan are looking down the barrel of a gun, and Whirlpool has its finger on the trigger.

3. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +28
    A city ran for the last 60 years by people who don't understand economics. That is what happened/is happening to Detroit.

4. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    Greed has fueled this type of situation. They knew what they were doing, but couldn't see past their wallets.

5. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    :SuN013:
    The in joke around blacks in Detroit: "This is as far south as we can go..."

North is Canada...

I. e., Detroit remains one and/or in the most segregated regions of the industrial midwest, and until recently it became--uh--job one--of its white powers that be--in order to keep it this way...

Hence you can't even begin to know or understand the present mostly black residents sources of grief etc., unless and until you factor that in too...

As in:

Racist tactics ad naseum which led to neighborhood block busting, etc., i. e., which is what led in more recent years to 'white flight' etc. to the suburbs, also redlining, aka the double standards etc. which lead to higher insurance premiums in urban centers, the relocating of businesses/etc. outside of the city (sometimes out of the state and the country), the overuse of automation and cybernation--aka labor replacing technologies, eventually leading to massive job losses; let alone the destruction of numerous intact communities etc.-- both inside and outside Detroit--for the hoped and prayed for promise of some to remain --and/or create new jobs --by its remaining large employers-- aka two of the now renamed Detroit Three (auto companies)--Chysler and General Motors...

Flashforward...

And ironic, i. e., the public sector (as in D. C.) had to bail them out, too!

So just who are you blaming for what?!?

6. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    I suggest that you reread and read articles on this issue/problem/etc. which gdid and do get regularly published in the Michigan Citizen...

I. e., it emerged after earlier union busting actions by the management of the two remaning weekly papers, who only continue to even exist via a co publishing scheme, etc.

It is truly independent, and not literally a spokesperson for the status quo, like the other two come across too much of the time...

:SuN044:

7. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    Diagnosis apreciated but who or what was/ or is
    fighting back?

For instance, Sharpton was always at the forefront and had made real changes here that Black folks did get some action and respect, until the very recent times.

There was the UAM Alton Maddox, Sharpton and the National Action Rally, taking up the political issues Bob Law and the Respect Yourself Movement, taking up youth issues, and a push towards collective economics

both with the support sucurity and affiliations with the NOI and then minister Conrad Muhammed and later Kevin Muhammed(Ishmael)

and Sonny Carson, and Elombe Braith with the Patrice Lumumba Coalition taking care of closing crack houses, immigrant store owner respect for the community, and a focus on Pan Africanism, with the assistance of the December 12 th Movement with Viola Plumber

Although Sharpton has now opted for "the good life" he has left a cadre of firebrand Black polticians, in the Bronx like Jose Serrano , and Yvette Clarke in Brooklyn that make sure the community does not get totaly messed over, like the forced resignation of Cathie Black.

Even the old guard of tenured poltiticians, until the late 90s , where fighting to make sure we got our share like
    Ed Towns and Al Vann in Brooklyn, and Rangel in Harlem

8. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
  9. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    CTJ:

First of all?

Good and fine we're gaining each other's respect and trust...

But it's about more than either of us!

I. e., reveal and write and say only so much more, bruh; e. g., on the safe(r) than sorry side...

On the general principles tip:

Also do reconsider contacting me directly...

[email protected]

I'll just say and write this:

Whatever you've been led to believe, the truth about this neck of the woods is stranger than (science) fiction...

Holla holla...

:10200:

10. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,128

Under the new financial manager law, Robert Bobb has much broader powers. If it is my intent to void all union contracts and cherry pick who I will bring back, this is the best way to do that.

:em0200: