Black People : What's Going On In Compton?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by happy69, Sep 14, 2003.

1. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    First, I would like to say that it saddens me to hear of the death of Yetunde Price--the eldest Williams' sister... sometimes this kind of stuff just makes you want to holler!

But, if anyone here is from Compton--What is it really like there?
    I am a bit jaded... I don't listen to the media hype about how a people are(meaning the residents) or a place...without first hand knowledge....

Just looking at the images on the screen it doesn't look like the worst place in the world---the community looks to be pretty well taken care of etc... it looks a bit calm... Is this the home of rampant gang activity, drug activity, and all kinds of criminal behaviors....

I'm just wondering....What about grassroots orgs. combating this?

We are being killed figuratively and literally by outside forces each and everyday....Yet, we are their biggest supporters....Suicide.

2. Pharaoh Jahil

Pharaoh Jahil Well-Known Member MEMBER

College Student
    Ratings:
    +25
    I have family in Compton but hardly ever go visit. But yes, it's still a poverty stricken, drug infested and gang banging community. However, some parts are calm or better than the other. The media does blow things out of proportion though. Compton is like any other American ghetto.

3. triniti424

triniti424 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Singapore
    Servant of the People
    Ratings:
    +131
    I stayed there for a bit...it aint nothin nice...yo pharoah when was the last time u went?
    because the last time I was there...this past weekend...its gotten worse worse :(

4. Pharaoh Jahil

Pharaoh Jahil Well-Known Member MEMBER

College Student
    Ratings:
    +25
    I haven't been there in a minute but I wouldn't say it has gotten worse then any other USA ghetto.

5. gempis

gempis Well-Known Member MEMBER

strength coach
    Ratings:
    +32
    I was there two months ago, and I'd have to agree with PJ that it doesn't seem to be any worse than any other. North St. Louis and south side Chicago r worse in my opinion. I think the media just likes to get on Compton cuz it'll always be famous, due to NWA. It definitely seemed better than it did in 1990.

6. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Well, like I said, I don't know Compton, and I don't think that I ever went there... It is just sad... how long will we go backwards instead of forwards... I just still think that it is well within our grasp to take back our communities and make them home...maybe?

Besides, it bothered me that the media jumped on the badkindapeoplebadplace thing... and they do that way too often, especially if the "bad people" are Black.

7. triniti424

Singapore
    Servant of the People
    Ratings:
    +131
    gempis...I think that to the people living in these areas whether it be in the Chi or LA, there is no worse place than where they are

happy...yes it seems that they forget about the trailor parks and their many issues they just love to focus on what blacks folks are up to :mad:

8. gempis

gempis Well-Known Member MEMBER

strength coach
    Ratings:
    +32
    well put, triniti, and I apologize if I offended anyone. I was trying to say that the media/whomever likes to make Compton out to be worse than it is. Like PE used to say, don't believe the hype. (though it ain't great, either) anyways, sorry.

9. triniti424

Singapore
    Servant of the People
    Ratings:
    +131
    lol Gempis I wast offended by you :) you're my gempis :)

I was annoyed with the focus on our black communities when there are white rapists/murders/molesters who dont ever get called out...