Black Spirituality Religion : what's an oracle?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by jamesfrmphilly, Jul 29, 2005.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    we were looking at the metu neter in the bookstore and it said it was an oracle and you needed cards.
    what is that and where do we get cards?

2. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    An oracle provides guidance for life. There are two kinds. The first is a lesser form that tells you about specific events that will happen in your life. Some of this is real but there are a lot of sham artists. Beware of a practitioner who tells you you owe her money for a reading from a past life. These kind of oracles can give you immediate insight and direction in your life but can't really give you the spiritual foundation for handling and responding to the information you get. The Metu Neter is the other kind of oracle that gives you a deeper understanding of spiritual things and how to direct your inner and outer life for spiritual growth.

I think Sam or Info moetry or Aum or Sun of Ra or Aqil or Sun Ship can give you a much more comprehensive understanding.

However the book gives you the address where you can send away for the cards. If you can't get them in the bookstore order them from:

Kamit Publications
    1100 Albemarle Road
    Brooklyn, NY 11218
    (718) 469-3199

3. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    James here is an Idea as to what an oracle is. I'll give you a working understanding of one from the perspective of Ifa.

In the oracle of Ifa, we understand that with without divine or mystical experience, it is nearly impossible to understand and navigate the tremendous possibilities the future holds.

That we live in a world of unlimited possibilities, all of them will occure somewhere, sometime to somebody. This is where divination "comes" in. Divination identifies information so that the good may be gathered and the bad avoided.

But as sister River alluded to, the Diviner must be skilled, he/she must be initiated into the mysteries. The babalawos, or priest/priestesses are the most efficient diviners.

They understand the future is knowable ONLY when the intangible world of spiritual energy is used to make sense of the tangible world of matter.

Babalawos predict events by focusing on individuals and their unique dispositon toward harmony and disharmony with the energy of the world. in other words babalawos make predictions for an individual based on the individuals specific balance of energy and behaviour

4. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    OK, so the metu neter is not for the casual browser?

5. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    Just about every teaching has a place for the layman and the spiritual ascetic. Just like you can see and enjoy nature and then you can metaphysically seek or have a deeper understanding of it, let alone eat, heal and redeem ones spirit through it; art, music and even dance all can be viewed through this dialectic.

6. Sekhemu

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    This is an excellent metaphor brotha! :smokin:

Ase

7. Sekhemu

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    That depends on what the person is here for.

8. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Brother Sek

I am so sorry. Your name should have been among the first in my list of sages who could give James more info on oracles. I don't even know what to blame it on. Please just forgive me and accept a double portion of respect because you were the one who answered him :hearts4:

9. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    my interest was strictly causal.
    just to find out what people was talking about.

it sounds too intense for me.

i'm way backed up on my reading anyhow so it's not an immediate issue.
    i just happened to see it in the store.

10. Moorfius

Moorfius Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +27
    Why waste others time?

Hotep

Generaly speaking, we have lots of so-called Negros in the U.S.A. who only refer to themself as Black, African-American to satisfy the current fad of political correctnes. These proud but also ignorant brothers and sisters most times share a popular opinain about what ever subject is discussed then take refuge in the privicy and comfort of their living spaces and support Europian ideas at the expence of their own Spirituality.
    To ask a question over and over agin and not learn or show a purpose for the line of questions reveals a sinister motive for being in the presents of those who really want to know, or is it the other way around? What is your purpose, what is your motive other than to serve your Master and pick a brother and sisters brain for your personal Entertainment?

Ase`