Black Spirituality Religion : What Would You Look For in a Religious or Spritual System?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by river, Dec 15, 2005.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Let's say if you knew everything there is to know about every religious and spiritual system in the world. And let's say you felt free to choose which one or a combination that works best for you without any coercion from your family and friends--just a pure choice based on what you know about these systems. What would be your criteria for making that choice? What would you look for?

2. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    My criteria would be whether or not the "system" enabled me transcend the physical plain and rise to point where I am completely at one with the creator.

3. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    My first criteria would be TRUTH.

Not what sounds good, feels good, or confirms what I already believe....but TRUTH.

Because if it's not true, it's not gonna benefit me in the long run anyway and will only set me up for disappointment down the road.

The second criteria would be HOPE

Hope for salvation and/or a better life both in this world and after death.
    What good is believing in and practicing a system that offers me no benefit?

The third criteria would be DOCTRINE

The religion I chose should have a sound concrete doctrine that doesn't change, mutate, or vary from one individual to another.

Every member of that religion can't have thier own versions of right and wrong because pretty soon we're all gonna clash and dis-unite, jeopardizing the very future of the religion itself.

4. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Both very good answers.

This is not a debate thread (otherwise I would show my sword) but it's designed to help us think then share our thoughts.

Thank both of you for responding.

5. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    The religion I would choose would do several things. Through my chosen religion I would be able to discover God. Through my chosen religion I would be able to discover myself as a human being and as an individual. Through my chosen religion I would interact with God through my own personal relationship. Through my chosen religion I would discover my purpose. Through my chosen religion I would serve God not my religion. Through my chosen I would minister to the needs of others just as God blesses me. If a religion doesn't address these things it would not be my religion....

Peace....

6. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    That is wonderful, brotha Rad. And that criteria will lead to quite a "radical faith."

7. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    I would look for a way of life that creates an egalitarian framework for the concepts of it's practices; moreover, I would hope that this way of life embraces and enhances people.