Black People : What / Where is Black Twitter?

Destee

destee.com
destee.com
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Peace and Blessings Family,

What / Where is Black Twitter? I have heard it mentioned before, like it is a particular place. I asked the question on Twitter and have not received any substantive answer yet. I asked if it is an actual place, where I must go and sign up, login, etc., or is it simply any Black person posting on Twitter automatically being on Black Twitter - or is it something else altogether?

I've thought on this since posting the question on Twitter. Is it like the projects of Twitter, the other side of the tracks of Twitter, where the Black people live? What is it?

Is there a White Twitter, a Latino Twitter, an Asian Twitter, etc.? I've never heard them mentioned.

People talk of the division in politics, etc., in these days and times, and here Twitter is - or someone - putting the Black folk on their own side of Twitter. Who did this? How did it happen? I notice when I am on Twitter, the suggestions for following others are mostly Black people. I suppose that is good, as it is my interest, but ... isn't there something a bit presumptuous about this? Even the ads they show me, seem targeted to Black People. I've noticed this on Linked In too (how they make recommendations to link to others), now that I think about it . On the surface this could be a good thing, but again ... something seems amiss ... as if the option has been made for me. Weird.

Anyway, does anyone know how to get to Black Twitter?

Or am I there, in the Black section of Twitter - when I login and participate?

They just usher me right on over to the colored section of Twitter without consulting with me - like they know me or sump'n.

I suppose it is like this on Facebook too.

We can't really complain about how someone else treats us on their platforms and I am not complaining - just wondering.

If anyone can give me directions to Black Twitter, I'd appreciate it.

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

Just follow this tag #BlackTwitter and you will find accounts following or using the tag. Other than that it’s not a designated space or monolithic body. It’s different than Facebook because on FB anyone can create pages or groups which target specific audiences through content marketing/advertising.

Just follow this tag #BlackTwitter and you will find accounts following or using the tag. Other than that it’s not a designated space or monolithic body. It’s different than Facebook because on FB anyone can create pages or groups which target specific audiences through content marketing/advertising.

Thank you Brother O ... I will do that.

I just googled it too and found these links :

It's a bit disconcerting, white platforms overwhelmingly providing our Internet based collective cultural needs.

It does not have to be. It makes me sad. I'm all down for us - black people - you know this, but we must at some point break the shackles of depending solely on them to provide for us. What true depth can the collective cultural need receive, when none of it is provided by the collective culture targeted?

Do they really have our best interest in mind or do they recognize the value of marketing and advertising to us.

I've been out here a long time (longer than Twitter). I know it's hard. I get it, but gosh.

I have proven it is do-able for us, by us - yes, on a small scale, what I could do alone - but just imagine if ...

Instead we get a "Black Twitter" designation in someone else's house.

Sort of like the projects, slave quarters, in a more 21st century way.

I'll check out #BlackTwitter - but I'm disappointed already.

I aint mad though, folk gotta get theirs where they can and wanna.

I understand it, but I wish it was not so.

Love You and Thanks!

Destee

There are so many challenges when it comes to us working together. Being here 20+ years, I know. I have seen it up close and personal. I suffer from it too. It is not just my people, but me also. It has not been enough to make me quit, but it has been enough that I know it will take a lot for us to overcome it. Given all we know about them, it seems easier to trust them, than each other. That's pretty bad. The white man's ice is still colder. So yes, the Facebooks, Twitters, etc., will thrive with our help, while black sites will continue to die. We will go to the white sites to talk about the cultural necessities of coming together, rather than challenging ourselves to do it on the black sites. It is easier to work with them, than work with us, for our own collective improvement. Also, they have all the shiny knobs and stuff, the latest this and that, the best that money can buy. What black site can compete with white money? Who would not prefer that, over some little raggedy black site that struggles to survive. I get it, but again, I wish it were not so.

Loving Us!

Destee

Brother O ... am I wrong, perhaps too invested, emotional and/or close to this topic to see the greater good of us convening on white sites en masse to discuss our collective cultural survival? Is there a better or different way for me to view this phenomena?

Give me the truth, I can take it ... :weights: ... :love:

I trust your wisdom and peace.

Thanks in advance.

Love You!

Destee

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back