Black People : What We Should Be Doing!!!! (Repost)

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by oldsoul, Sep 3, 2005.

1. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    People here at Destee have been asking what we can do to help with the crisis in the Gulf Port and asking where they can donate money.
    I believe that we should be donating IMMEDIATELY every penny we can RIGHT HERE AT DESTEE.COM!!!!
    Why? Because Destee is in Mobile, Alabama and while she and her family are physically safe at the moment, there is no power and other services are down. Understand, we should be putting dollars in the Destee account so that as soon as she can get to it, she'll be able to take care of some specific needs, INCLUDING KEEPING DESTEE UP AND RUNNING!
    If you think that Destee.com is running by magic, you're going to come online one day soon and it will be down for good, because you did not send that few dollars when you could have.
    I'm not saying that we shouldn't donate to the Red Cross and other relief agencies, but I'm saying that we should be doing for this community first. This is a BLACK OWNED AND OPERATED cyber community that receives no government funding and serves a bigger purpose than entertainment.
    If you call yourself a Destee Famlee member, you should go immediately to the Donation page and donate something, RIGHT NOW!!!!

Additional note: A most important reason we should be sending money to Destee.com is because we need to have a fund build up that we can send money to specific Black families, Black organizations and Black community groups who are and will be housing Black families all over the country. The Red Cross and these other organizations will not be giving cash money directly to Black families and organizations who are voluntarily housing Black people. Understand what I'm saying here. We must be able to send cash to people who are directly helping people, who are NOT getting money from the 'relief' organizations. The one vehicle we have collectively is our community right here! Now is the time to put up or shut up. We can make some real contributions here Famlee.
    I'll be talking more about this in the Special Sunday Class at NOON ET, Sept 4th.

2. Wisdom7

Wisdom7 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    This post hasn't gone ignored Oldsoul. Without telling so much, I'm not in the best of finances right now, but believe me when it is straightened out, this forum will get much donations from me. And I give you my word.

3. sonnee01

sonnee01 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +29
    Brother Old Soul... my change is strange right now, however I did send in my donation for the month of September, but as I get more within the next few days, I will send in some monies to help those in need...may not be much, but I know every little bit helps.

4. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Hey OldSoul,

Your thread was tacked onto Moorfius' thread. But this is what I said before it was moved

5. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    Immediate Response

The suggestion about affiliate programs is well taken but what I'm urging is immediate response. Right now we are being urged to give cash money directly to the red cross and the salvation army, etc and we are doing that. We're also being urged to support other efforts, such as benefits, concerts and telethons. What I'm saying is that we should be creating our own immediate fund right here that can direct money into the hands of those groups and organizations who aren't getting any of this money. I'm proposing that we mount our own campaign to have avaiable funds to designate where we want them to go.
    For example, we may want to set up a special section here at Destee where people can post names and photos of lost family and loved ones and act as a community resource for helping to re-unite family members over the next weeks and months. We may need to pay transportation costs for people and/or resources to get where they're needed.
    We could also have a listing for people who are willing to offer living space, relocation and other resources for those who have family members dispersed around the country. Families have been separated and it will take months to get them back together. These kinds of responses take financial resources and we should be a leading example on the Internet of how we can come together and respond in new ways to this catastrophe.
    These and other ideas I'll be discussing in the Special Session in chat Sunday, but I hope that others will post ideas here or elsewhere on the site on practical ways we can contribute to helping our own in need.

6. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    That's a good idea.

7. queentswana

queentswana Well-Known Member MEMBER

day care provider (own business)
    Ratings:
    +161
    I agree with all that is said, the question is... will it be put in motion? are we now woke?