Black People : What we really need: Wealthy Black Nationalists

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Knowledge Seed, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    Clearly, we already have a lot of wealthy Blacks. But, generally, they are integrated into the larger white society.

Am I the only one that dreams about being listed on the Forbes 400 and using my considerable wealth to fund Afrikan-centered causes, especially in the area of education?

Is it crazy that I have billionaire capitalist ambitions, but that I'd want to use the money to build Afrocentric schools, libraries and museums? And temples to Afrikan deities?

Is it beyond belief that I think Black people should individually and collectively pursue obscene amounts of wealth and use it build a Black Nationalist haven as envisioned by the likes of Marcus Garvey, Elijah Muhammad and Oba Adefunmi?

Am I the only one with this kind of thinking?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Nope. I'm wth you.

3. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Black nationalism and capitalism. No you not the only one. Garvey tried it. Elijah tried it. Many more have tried it. Unless you are going to take those billions, buy a huge amount of land and build your own institutions and infrastructure, you will not be engaging in Nation building.

Peace be with you in your efforts. Make sure that you keep up on your taxes and other fiduciary responsibilities because the IRS don't play.

4. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

On the other hand if you are talking about direct investment and infrastructural development you might make some positive impact.

However, the key word is might because one would have to carefully examine the impact if the current group of African billionaires. Ate they priming the pump and actually making a positive impact?

I don't really see it happening in Nigeria or Ethiopia or Somalia, all of which are war torn with various degrees of anarchy and political destabilization.

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,683
    What we really need: Wealthy Black Nationalists

I disagree. Is there even such a thing, wealthy black nationalists? Can you name some living ones?

I'm surprised you'd say this is what we need, looking outside of self to solve the problem.

So we stop waiting for whites to do right, and wait for wealthy blacks, who are living a life of ease?

We talk of what the wealthy won't do, counting their money, as we hoard our own few dollars.

I imagine that the combined finances of the poor far exceeds the wealthiest Blacks combined.

No ... if this problem is to be solved ... i believe it will have to be the poor that solve it ... those in need.

Folk will have to sacrifice for the collective, the greater good, their own few pennies ... be living examples.

Unfortunately though, like wealthy blacks have reason for not helping, so too do most of us.

We find all kinds of reasons for never putting a dime on the table, yet talk of unity and what others should do.

We're a mess ... but a mess i believe we'll overcome ... one day.

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

6. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    I think I like where your head's at.

However when folks think "nationalism", their interpretations vary. So it may help that you share how you view nationalism so that readers are made clear on the specific content, definition and or interpretation that is given.

7. SlickBeast

SlickBeast Well-Known Member MEMBER

Australia
    Programmer/Game developer
    Ratings:
    +361
    You are a billionaire and you are going to build libraries, museums and temples for blacks? Jesus F Christ. This is going to generate more wealth? You would think business opportunities, proper schools and maybe hospitals (or health education). Shake head. Luxury vs necessity.

8. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    Nationalism, as I mean it, is basically about Black people building our own society and culture in America but in a New Afrikan context.

By "New Afrikan" I mean that we draw this new culture on the basis of the traditions of the ethnic groups that we descend from. For example, instead of black kids joining the boy scouts or girl scouts, they would be initiated into the gender society that basically all Black African children join.

You see how Jews and Asians are a part of mainstream American society? But at the same time, they have a culture and a set of customs and traditions that are all their own. I want that for Black people, but I want it grounded in an Afrikan-centered reality.

9. G Ali

G Ali Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +91

That's how I've always felt we should go about it...but the true task in that is how do we bring people together on that front. I don't know if any 1 organization/movement could "rise up" and make it happen on there own....it would probably take EVERYONE who genuinely wants that to take place to support and promote each others respective efforts faithfully. That means donate to the movements, support each others businesses, get ya chicken from here instead of there, shop at little "just getting started stores" that we open until there's a chain of them, hop off these corporate clothing companies that we give thousands to yearly and maybe shop with the young lady who's fresh out of apparel classes until SHE is a "brand name".....and we have to encourage, convince, push, the younger generation to pursue all different types of field's to cover all aspects of life....and then support them in that until they're industries in themselves.......but you can only hope and work on your end.

10. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

Destee brown_h0rnet WARRIOR ...

... Those knowing you through posts, realize your mantra has always been about the financial success of our people; an admirable trait and quality. Let's go back in time for a minute:

Black Financial empowerment
    http://destee.com/index.php?threads/black-financial-empowerment.54641/#post-555030

My words back then, remain the same, and true.
    http://destee.com/index.php?threads/black-financial-empowerment.54641/#post-555033

With the help of others, we are about to launch the achieved goal, and hope you and others will support that effort/plan of making this site into the Refuge it already is for our people.

We are proud to have attained the projected goal, and in view of this new comer, G Ali, having stated the situation well and getting it right the first time, we are humbled:

And to the above, I continue to say this:

So, in my view, rather than something free, lets spend our capital with our Family, and create a circular flow of capital to be available for black entrepreneurs. It is the intent of Group Think to provide such a vehicle. There is no better place to start than Destee.com, and let it trickle down to our people within our personal/local communities. Finally, America is still the fall before Rome, meaning the economy is plummeting, and that we, as blacks, must come together.

Peace In,