Black People : What was the ROOT reason for slavery and racism now??

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by A007, Aug 28, 2003.

1. A007

A007 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +115
    I have heard some conflicting views on the reason slavery existed/exists and I was wondering what my brothers and sisters on Destee thought. I have stated my opinion on previous posts so I won't attempt to sway this question with my thoughts (just yet)...lol

Question #2

How should we go about fighting the slavery and racism that exists today?

2. Mahogany_Brown

Mahogany_Brown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Theres only one type of racism and that is white supremacy...which was/is the reason for slavery..which is the only and strongest force that is controlling this planet right now...look around you..look at the planet..what is ruling it?

As for Question 2, how to get rid of it..I can't say that I know right now...actually none of our great hero/leaders have figured it out yet....if they did have a plan obviously it wasn't put into action..and if it was then obviously maybe it wasn't implemented correctly or maybe it just failed...So I guess a plan still has to be refined....

By the way since the ruling force of this planet.. white supremacy..which in my opinion rules us physically, mentally,emotionally, and lots of other ways which we are not conscious of...well since it was started by white folks or white supremacists, I'm sure they know how to get rid of it..but I won't bet on them ever trying to abolish it when it has served them so well.....So guess who's gonna have to try to get rid of it as usual.....

3. A007

Ratings:
    +115
    Mahogany---

I understand and completely agree with you on the 'white supremacy' answer, but do you have an opinion as to WHY they feel they are supreme (or at least want everyone else to believe they are supreme) and WHY it is important for them to hold on to that belief in this day and age, which manifests itself in racism?

4. Mahogany_Brown

Mahogany_Brown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    A007 asked,
    Why they feel they are supreme?...Man!!..A007...I still can't figure that out...I could rehash all of the stereotypes that we constantly see and hear about Black people all day..but I'm not sure if that would reveal much of WHY they feel supreme...I need to think about that some more..but for now I would say why don't u ask a white person or white supremacist?..since this is the way that I'm sure they feel..then only they would truly know the answer..all anybody else who is not white can do is hypothesize about why do white people collectively feel that they are superior...hold up..I just thought of something...it may not be the root reason on WHY they feel supreme..but their white supremacy mindset has allowed them to accomplish/do many things on the planet....I think its like a great motivator to them..they have built many things..cars, skyscrapers, etc......this mentally has motivated them to travel into space, and do many, many more things...so I'm not sure..I'll have to think harder about it....I'm sure theres others who can enlighten u on reasons why white people collectively hold onto this white supremacist attitude..I read somewhere that by the time a white child is about 8 or 9, that they know how to operate in the world..meaning they know there position and they are aware of the position of people who are non white..so I guess they pass on their white supremacist views from one generation to the next..if not then all the child has to do is watch tv..everything on there is a reflection of himself..meaning his skin color..even the dang cartoons...he sees himself solving crime, helping the sick, feeding the hungry, traveling into space, climbing mountains, on and on and on....
    Thats all I can think of for now..I pass the ball to the next person...

5. A007

Ratings:
    +115
    Mahogony---

Another great response. Very honest and insightful. Stay tuned because MOST white people have no idea WHY they were taught to feel superior or know the reason/origins of racism and even LESS non-whites know. There is a simple answer and I will be happy to give it a little later if no one else does... on this post. Thanks again and I look forward to your findings as you continue to think about it.

6. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    Mahogany,

IMHO I believe most whites(not all) feel superior is because as you mentioned, they look at their surroundings, and see themselves as conquerors.

They see themselves in position of power all around the world.
    Including controling all of the largest and most powerful armies, Financial Institutions, Science and Industry

We are bombarded by commercials, ads and other forms of cummunication, upholding the standards and customs of white people.

They're the dominant culture
    So it is no wonder they would feel superior.

7. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    First, I don't think that slavery and racism are synonymous or has to naturally go hand-in-hand. A person can own slaves and not be racist.

Second, in my opinion, there are several reasons or characteristics to explain why one group chooses to enslave another group and they are greed, power, arrogance and a desire to feel privileged.

Fighting slavery: First, make a decision not to be a psychological nor physical slave, don't think like one and don't act like one. Today, we should know and believe that we have the right to walk away from the plantation anytime we want to and we'll survive on our own without help of the slavemaster. We can continue to speak his language but we can also have one of our own. You don't have to wear his name anymore, or sleep with him/her if you don't want to, nor gain his/her permission to live.

Fighting racism: Rebel against any regime or perpetrator that hates you and brings hate to you. Seek to separate from them and don't adopt nor subscribe to their hateful ways. Cleanse our minds of their self-righteous, 'holier than thou' propaganda, educate ourselves and community and learn strong survival strategies, remain on the side of truth and demand justice, and be a part of a revolution that supports and uplifts our people.

8. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    To answer the question what should we do about Slavery today? Don't support our leaders that are silent on this issue.
    Take your money out of institutions that invest in these countries.

Also for countries like Mauritania, perhaps even northern Sudan, that have slaves, the Muslim community could probably be a little more assertive in putting pressure on the respective gov't, If at all possible

9. A007

Ratings:
    +115
    I agree. Whites, Blacks, and others, have and do enslave their own.

This is very insightful....however, all of your reasons can be summed up with one word which is the root of all of what we face here in the U.S. It is simply M-O-N-E-Y. Let me explain.

This greed, power, arrogance, and desire to feel privileged are ALL related to money/wealth. Throughout history....for as long as humans have existed...anytime one group enslaved antother it was for financial gain. The subsequent actions and/or thought patternes that developed we merely systems to KEEP SLAVES ENSLAVED. This goes from simple thoughts of being better, to actions of beating, deprivation, and psychological warfare.

We were brought here to build a country to be a financial powerhouse through FREE LABOR so the U.S. could have FINANCIAL GAIN. The slave traders and owners had to devise a way to keep us from feeling equal so we wouldn't desire to have/aquire the same measure of wealth that they desired. In this planned degredation, separation, and superiority the children actually BELIEVED IT even if the parents knew better (and some of them did). So then it becomes a perpetual lie passed down from generation to generation without logic or conscience and the U.S. ends up with MOST caucasion americans (even if they were poor immigrants) hearing and believing that black people were not equal to them and therefore did not deserve the same treatment and consideration. It has become so ingrained...that many of us believe it ourselves. Yet this was ALL a plan, ploy, plot to aquire and keep WEALTH. And the sad part is....MOST WHITE PEOPLE HAVE NO IDEA WHY THEY FEEL SUPERIOR OTHER THAN THEIR MONEY!!! It is a part of our society now mostly because they hated us for wanting to be free....:lol:. Who are we to want freedom? They were nice enough to 'SAVE' us from africa and bring us here so we owe them a debt of gratitude. But, we turn around and betray them by wanting to be treated as humans and have the same opportunity to go to school, get jobs, make money and acheive the "american dream" (a whole other discussion). So now this simple feeling of being better turns into HATE because we have hurt the economy(in whites' eyes) by being free and competing (although on VERY uneven playing field) for wealth, power, and privelage just as they do.

They HATE us for wanting to be like them when they have been taught all their lives that they are better and we are only messing things up. It is the same as telling someone their faith/religion is a farce and they have been lied to all of their lives. There will be hate, anger, resentment, and fighting.

This 1500's plan to make America the richest country in the world on the free slave labor backs of others is buried with the masters of it and we are left with a country divided because no one can come to grips with the fact that it was all about money including blacks and whites.

I agree 100%. Enough said. Well done!

I agree 100%. However it is the WAY we rebel that has and is causing us problems. We rebel by not going to school. We rebel by beating up white boys and each other over nothing. We rebel by bling-blinging. We rebel by hating all that is white. We rebel by depriving ourselves!!!
    We should rebel by going to school and being smarter than them. We should rebel by ignoring things that have no bearing on who we are (like being call the "n" word). We should rebel by learning that bling-bling is a trap for the financially ignorant. We should rebel by loving those who love us (even if they are white). We should rebel by participating in the prosperity of our communities and quit putting SELF first. We should rebel by taking advantage of every resource available for us to educate OURSELVES (not just formal schooling)...like the library, the internet etc. We should rebel by mastering the only things that will force them to see us as equal which are MONEY....AND GUNS to protect our money. Then and ONLY then will they treat us as equals in public...even if they still hate us in private.

Just MHOs....What do you all think?

10. ifasehun

ifasehun Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    the root reason for slavery is the spiritual lesson contained therein - find that, and we end the cycle. what is it that white and black people should learn spiritually about ourselves and each other?