Black History Culture : What Shall Be The Basis of Our Concepts Of Economic Empowerment:

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by chuck, Jul 15, 2016.

1. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    Also we need to not mimic the white exploiters of the world's colored masses on that level...

fyi

2. Standard

Standard Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +4
    This is a most critical discussion to be had and it it not surprising to me that there are few responses because it is difficult but its solution will bring our greatest fulfilment.

3. umbrarchist

umbrarchist Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +100
    My father owned a grocery store when I was a kid. Since I found stacking cans really boring and Walkmen did not exist at the time, I suggested I should learn accounting. He told me accounting is "really hard." Double-entry accounting is 700 years old, invented in Italy. So the form of accounting used today is older than Adam Smith and Shakespeare.

When people do not want you to know something important they pretend it is really difficult.

Curious how no economists suggest that it be mandatory in our schools. The schools brainwash us to be good workers, if they even do that. And television brainwashes us to be good consumers.

I have both of these books:

The Accounting Game: Basic Accounting Fresh From the Lemonade Stand
    http://www.iapps.im/public/uploadfiles/comment/file/4ae1584d13471f85f46d0d400cac89b9.pdf

Glencoe Accounting, First-Year Course
    http://www.uread.com/book/glen...donald/9780078456701

The title implies that accounting is so difficult that multiple years are required.

The second book costs 5 or more times as much as the first. It has the basic accounting equation on page 48 the first book has it on page 6. Depreciation is on page 114 of the first and 524 of the second. The second book is hard cover and has LOTS of color glossy pictures. So is the objective to spend a lot of time and money learning a little or learn a lot in little time and not spend much?

Which is smart accounting? Does smart accounting serve the purposes of these expensive schools? Curious that they have never suggested mandatory accounting. Don't teachers buy houses and cars like normal people? So either they can't figure out what information is important or they are not making sure everyone knows it.

Now what would have happened if Malcolm X and Martin Luther King had been suggesting mandatory accounting for Black kids in the early 60s.

um

• Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  4. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    Therapy to help us understand why we spend money we don't have. Credit cards...worst thing that could have happened to Black people.

Basic accounting is not hard and Black people have been practicing it forever. Income vs. expense...we know this. But credit cards...we don't view them as over spending or seem to care that we are actually buying money when we use them. We lost the art of saving money or managing our money now that credit cards are tucked neatly in our wallets. We want to buy something, just grab and go, then pay later and more than what you spent.

Spending is addictive . . . it eases emotional pain temporarily just like illegal drugs. We don't want to constantly be reminded of the daily struggle, we want what we see people on reality television have and credit cards are a way to help us get instant gratification...although temporarily.

Advice...
    1. Put the credit cards with the lowest interest rates away and don't use them unless in extreme emergencies for large purchases. To keep cards active, use for small purchases in amounts that you can comfortably pay off during the grace period.
    2. Cut up and toss away higher interest rate cards.
    3. Accumulated debt? Pay above the minimum amount owed each month until you pay off entirely. If you can't make a payment, contact the card company immediately and talk to them explaining your situation. Communicating with them goes a long way.
    4. Do not feel "special" when credit card companies send you mail offering you new cards. Destroy and toss unless they offer a better rate than the one you have filed away! Keep lower one and destroy higher one.
    5. Take any extra money you have that you would have paid on a credit card and start saving each month or pay period. Do not touch unless in extreme emergencies. Try to save up to 3x your monthly take-home pay in the event you lose your job, you can continue to pay your bills for at least 90 days, giving you time to find a new job.