Jails / Prisons : What rights should prisoners have?

Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by panafrica, Aug 12, 2005.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4141404.stm

2. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    IMO, prisoners should not be treated as if they're in daycamp, but they should not be allowed to go hungry and they shouldn't be allowed to be abused. This does no one any good. A lot of these underfed, abused inmates will return to society one day, and then they will be the community's problem. The prison systems should concentrate more on reform than punishments, except when it comes to the more serious criminals (murderers (none self-defense), child molesters, rapists etc.). If people are mistreated, they can not just turn that mindset off once they're free.

3. missept

missept Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Rights? What Rights? If they did wrong to get in that situation then they are getting a taste of the wrong doing they did to others...period! As for retraining/ rehabilitating, a person can only change if they want to, so in some cases that approach is just a waste of time. I say make them jokers pay some bills instead of making the working class pay for them. Some of them are living real good and have gotten use to not having their freedom.

4. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    So you have no problem having an ex-con living next door to you after years of being underfed, sexually abused, under-educated and locked in a cell 23 hrs a day, without any attempt to rehabilitate them?

5. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    You speak of these people as if they are really nasty people! Would you say the same about the people who abused the children of the Sudan, raped the mothers, and such?

There are people all over the world who comitted crimes; they just have not been punished. What do you have to say about that?

CD

6. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    This is the reality that people often overlook with criminals. The overwhelming majority are going to come out. If prisons don't start focus on rehabilitation that can, will, and do bring their violent behavior to a community near you!

7. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Money is the root to all evil!

The billion-dollar industry will reap what they sow!

CD

8. Steve69

Steve69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    If they want rights like a regular person then act like one.
    I think a lot don’t want regular hard work, don’t care if they hurt others and looking for an easy option. Well this is what got a lot into prison in the first place. Only rights they should have is to serve their time in peace and not be abused. If they can’t control the criminals in locked cells, how much of a chance do they have to control them on the outside? I know we talk about how many blacks are in prison, but do any of us really want them to let them all out and move into our neighborhoods. Also I have not ever heard of any starving in prison or being underfed.
    Make them work for their keep in prison. This will teach them hard work, save taxpayers money and make a lot more not want to go back if they have to work. And some have a better life inside than what they had before. Should they hurt people and other crimes and still cost us 50K a year for the rest of us to take care of.

9. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Like I said earlier in the thread:
    What do you have to say about them? And they are ALL over the world. Start with ex-CIA and FBI Agents. Better yet, What about the MILITARY? Yeah, some of them are only in there to kill people, and get paid for it - Thanks to Grand Theft Auto in Childhood, etc.

CD

10. Steve69

Steve69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    I think they also should have the same rights. But don’t think it makes any sense for this country to try and police the whole world. I can’t say I have seen many cases reported to the media for crimes by ex FBI/CIA & Military and the person not prosecuted if all the facts are reported. Without all the facts it is hard to determine guilt and I am sure a lot of the info is not made available. And the media only seems to report what they like or just what people here only want to hear about. I have seen more news and talk about the current ad for animal rights than about all the killing and slavery in places like the Sudan.
    But just because a criminal could prove someone else across the world committed a murder and got away with it, they should not be able to do the same. Do we need more problems in our neighborhoods? How many good innocent people would have to suffer from your decision? Most people I know would not agree with you and have our crime rate increase 10 times, which is what would happen. And if one of these prisoners killed one of your relatives should he just be allowed to apologize and go on his way?