Black People : What Qualifies Someone For Being a "Sister" or "Brother?"

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Hello Family,

I've wondered what qualifies a person for being a "Sister" or "Brother." Does just being Black, African, etc., automatically qualify us to be referred to as such?

Can a white person be a "Sister" or "Brother?"

Is there some behavior that we can do that strips our "Sister" or "Brother" status from us? For example, i posted a thread about Michael Jackson, asking "What is up with our Brother?" and someone responded, he aint our Brother.

Can a Sister/Brother not be a Sister/Brother based on things they do or don't do?

I'm just wundr'n yall ...

:heart:

Destee

2. soul_doctor73

soul_doctor73 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    It is apparent that I have a unique way of looking at things. In this case, I'd like to add my two cents, but I'm not sure it's going to appeal.

The words are Universal across our planet. Being brethren because we share skin color is pretense. The heart is the same color in every one. So is the blood.

In my opinion, what a person could do what would remove them from the unity of brotherhood is when they put themselves above or before their fellowman. No one wished to be brother of a murderer. Before immorality was common, no one wanted to be sister to a harlot.

If someone lends a hand to me, he is my brother. If someone requires my help, he is my brother. If a woman needs the strength of a man, she is my sister. If a woman sees that I am fed, and clothed, and well, she is my sister.

In the examples, it is the perspective that determines who the brother or sister is. In this case, my perspective.

3. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    I said that Micheal Jackson wasn't my brother. He still isn't and never will be.
    ---willingness to love and respect your own first and foremost, even before self--- is my definition of what a brother or sister is... understanding that we live in a society that rightly or wrongly view us collectively, and as pieces of the collective we should try (we are too human we make mistakes) to uphold our community and as Native Black People in America, we have a whole **** legacy of people who lived right and died wrong to make everything we have and hold possible.

It would be quite simple for me to disregard and ignore my people based upon the lies and stereotypes that plague us, that some of us ourselves perpetrate, and cast inside of our own selves and lives, that help to destroy us.

A true brother or sister will not denigrate the hopes, dreams, nor thoughts of others because they don't have the wherewithall to have average common understanding... i.e, putting people in boxes... JUST BECAUSE MICHEAL JACKSON WAS ONCE "BLACK" DOES NOT ENTAIL HIM OF BEING MY BROTHER-- RATHER OR NOT HE IS YOURS IS OF NO CONSEQUENCE TO ME, NOR SHOULD MY NOT ACCEPTING HIM BE OF CONSEQUENCE TO YOU....
    Just as, because someone comes at me with pretty words, while underneath telling me that I am, DUMB, STUPID, AND HAVE NEVER AND PROBABLY CANNOT DO ANYTHING BECAUSE I AM BLACK--- and I do not blind myself to the same kind of ******** ... on some pseudo-****-heap of "other's opinions"-- again this is for me.

I am not saying that we should not forgive our brothers and sisters for mistakes--- we should--- just as I feel we should be careful of destroying them... Entertainers and Politicians should be put on a higher plane... because they are the ones heard and seen--- and everybody have a tendency to believe them--- even if they don't speak for us.

Being A Sister, does not entail that I turn a blind eye to the destructiveness that some like Micheal Jackson has brought upon himself, his family and yes, in some respects the Whole Black Community. Nor does it entail me to support political liars and racists of the like of Ward Connerly ( who claims to not be black anyway); Armstrong Williams and a whole host of others... and not to be pimped by people like Al and Jesse; we are victims, but not all of us are victims... and sometimes we bring things upon ourselves...

Just so you can know, Kobe ain't my bro either, never was, neither is Mike Tyson (although I pray that God would bring someone into his life to really help him... whites pimp him like a fool, and them we help...), I am not looking for family in others...but I am expecting it from the majority of the Black American Community...

p.s. Brothers and Sisters should not be afraid to let go of those that weight us down... like Micheal Jackson...

4. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    A White person can never be my sistah or brotha.

And if some Black people reject their own, then I don't claim them either.

Sometimes, it's a matter of "Just cuz he's my color don't make him my brotha."

IMO, yes you can get your "brotha/sistah card" snatched! lol

5. queentswana

queentswana Well-Known Member MEMBER

day care provider (own business)
    Ratings:
    +161
    It's also said that "Blood is thicker than water" ...but I say, it depends on who's bleeding!!. As there's a host of black folks out there with white minds and faces, do that make them my sis/bro? ...I think not!

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and the Family!

Sister Destee,

When we as Black or African people use the term my sister or my brother, it carries with it a kind of kinship of endearment, automatically. And though my sister posters before me make good sense, I tend to view rejections, if you will, as wounds in need of healing, regardless of the circumstances…after all, our innate Self-Hate problem remains unsolved, in my view…Peace In, for real.

7. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    I agree with the above and totally understand where they are coming from, but ultimately.....

I ultimately agree with this. Even tho I view some blacks as 'uncle toms' and 'sell-outs' I still think of them as my sista or brotha. I've know some black women to get angry over the term 'sista' because let them tell it 'I ain't yo sista' but for me I don't mind. For a brotha to acknowledge me as a sista is to acknowledge with respect.

Now please don't acknowledge me or my kids as 'lil momma' because that just urks the hell out of me. Yes, I may be the mother of creation, or you may understand my daughters as such.... but I'd rather be on the level of your 'sista' than your momma because I ain't babyin you! Nor will I refer to you as 'daddy' on any level.... outloud.

Now white folks - I can refer to them loosely as 'sista' or 'brotha' if they down with and respect black folks, but it term will be used loosely be said with written or verbal quotations. It does mean the same.

Where I get caught up at is when folks who are not black or dark skinned. They are like..... 'colored' white folks who. I don't know what to refer to them as. Sometimes I just say 'white sista' or 'white brotha' and leave it at that.

8. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    It's the hair.

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Real Truth!

Thanks medusanegrita for seeing eye to eye with me on this, for real! Ironically, I too find myself lost and searching for what to say to those not so clearly defined as brothers or sisters...Peace In sister.

10. CreativeGrl

CreativeGrl Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +339
    I think "Brother" and "Sister" are very broad terms that can have a variety of meanings and definitions. They could be used as terms of endearment for another black person, or limited only to those black people who are "down for the cause", The term could be limited to those who are close, personal friends. It could refer to being brothers and sisters of the human race, which would include everybody. The terms can be used to refer to people who share the same belief system, (ie: "Brothers and Sisters in Christ"). It could mean a fraternity brother or a sister. And of couse it could literally be refering to a blood sibling.

It's a very personal thing. Every person is going to have their own definition of what a true brother or sister means to them.