Black Spirituality Religion : WHAT PRECISELY IS A "SPIRIT"?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by SAMURAI36, Mar 25, 2006.

1. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    In light of there being numerous threads about "Spirits" and such, not to mention this word being so loosely used in the world at large, I thought it best to start a thread about the subject, in attempts of clarification of what is meant when each person says this term.

As I am a bit pressed for time, I will return later to give my information about the subject. In the meantime, please feel free to Add-On.

PEACE

2. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    SAMURAI: "WHAT PRECISELY IS A "SPIRIT"?"

Hey buddy....

Since there is no proof of their actual existance......

----> A non-visible, but present entity that was fabricated by religious, power wielding, superstitious, nutcases, for the sole purpose of putting fear into subjected people in order to control their minds, via fear of the 'unknown'. Some may equate a spirit to the 'soul' departed from the physical body. JMHO.

3. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Should make an interesting thread, Sheqhem.

My perception of spirit has always been as a wind. We cannot see the wind but we see the things that are moved by the wind. In the same way we see a body that is moved by a spirit.

Certainly there is more to human existance than the physical body. That woman who was in a coma for fifteen years proved that physical life can be sustained by purely mecanical means when the proper elements (oxygen, nutrients, etc.) are present. However, she never returned to consousness. The spirit was gone so the body never returned to what can be called human life.

4. solomon7

solomon7 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Surely, you can provide proof.

Correct?

Or, is this merely "opinion"?

5. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    To me a spirit is the 'essence' that makes up any living creature.

6. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    So Karmashines, do you believe that essence is in fact energy?

7. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Can you provide proof that there is such a thing as wind? Really there is no such thing as wind. What we call wind is just energized air but wind does not exist as an isolated entity. In the same way spirit is an energized body. The energy that turns air into wind exists apart from air as a spirit exists apart from a body. But this energy cannot be measured or perceived unless it is affecting some kind of matter. Think about it, with all the stars in the universe the universe should be awash with light and heat, yet only light and heat which touches matter is visible. The light and heat which passes through vaccuum space is black--invisible and cold. Does that mean that light and heat do not exist in a vaccuum? It does exist just like the spirits that energize human bodies exists.

We have as much proof of the existance of spirit as we have of the existance of wind, light and hear--none of which is percepptible to our senses apart from the matter that they energize.

This has been a public service message brought to you by Da River

8. uplift19

uplift19 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +12
    My definition: :ghost:

:)

Although, some people say the "spirit" in which something is done is maybe the energy and/or intention behind it.

"You who are electricians, you put copper wire in as a transmitter of current, or electricity. The current is greater than that which is transmitting it. The copper can wear out. When the copper wears out, the electricity is suspended until you get another transmitter to transmit that current.

God conveys His Spirit in the human form. This is the best form. There is no form better that the human form. It is not perfect, but its is a good conveyer of the Spirit of God.

This Universe is material, but the essence of the Universe is spiritual. The core of the Sun is not fire; the core of the Sun is the thought projected by the Will of God which forms the Sun. When you look at the Sun and are warmed by the Sun; that is a blessing. But to understand why God made Sun, you have to go into the Mind of God, for His Mind is at the core of what He created. But if you do not pierce the veil of the physical, you will never find the essence. "

9. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Yes, definitely.

10. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    This fundamental question should not slip away with only six replies.

Brotha Sam, you promised to return to this thread with your insights. I'd love to hear what you have to say.