Black Women : What Michelle Means to Us

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by Zulile, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    [​IMG]

At a recent Sunday brunch after church, my "sista friends" and I sat on the patio of a Los Angeles restaurant gabbing about the election of Barack Obama. Sure, we were caught up in the history of the moment. Most of us never thought we'd see an African-American president. But as a group of six black women in our 30s and 40s, we were equally excited by who is coming along with Obama to the White House—his wife, Michelle, and their two young daughters. We all praised—OK, maybe even envied—Michelle's double Ivy League pedigree, her style, her cool but friendly demeanor. And yet we're all aware of how much we have riding on her. At 44, Michelle Obama will be the youngest First Lady since Jacqueline Kennedy. And many are expecting her to usher in a similarly glamorous era in Washington. ("Bamelot," as some are already calling it.) But Michelle's influence could go far beyond the superficial. When her husband raises his hand to take the oath of office, Michelle will become the world's most visible African-American woman. The new First Lady will have the chance to knock down ugly stereotypes about black women and educate the world about American black culture more generally. But perhaps more important—even apart from what her husband can do—Michelle has the power to change the way African-Americans see ourselves, our lives and our possibilities.

It's an amazing opportunity—and a huge responsibility. "I think she's always going to be classy, because she knows she's not just representing herself,'' said my friend Gertrude Justin, 40, a nurse from Houston. "She knows she's fighting stereotypes of black people that have been around for decades and that her every move will be watched. I'm sure she's been just as insulted by the lack of true depictions of African-American women as any other black woman.'' Michelle will be a daily reminder that we're not all hotheaded, foaming-at-the-mouth drug addicts, always ready with a quick one-liner and a roll of the eyes.

Full Article Here

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
    In the Spirit of Sankofa!

Sweet Sister Zulile,
    :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    Yes she will be heavy watched because the road she pave many black women will
    try to follow , what she say and bring to the forefront will be heard but listen too
    she has the power to change what she can and speak on what she can't
    all eyez on Michelle

4. blackeyes

blackeyes Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +449
    Great article.
    I love Michelle!

5. sweet apple*pie

sweet apple*pie Well-Known Member MEMBER

I am a student, and all though it is hardwork, it
    Ratings:
    +30
    It's such a soul endrenching feeling, to be able to look...Up....to someone who I can identify with, and I believe this is why Michelle means so much to us.

Never before have African Americans been able to identify with this land of America that we were brought into, and they will be very instrumental in us regaining a sense of worth and value in this country, and sparkle new light on the power and abilities of the African American race.

It is a indescribable feeling to be able to see myself in Michelle Obama, and through her, to be empowered to soar to new heights beyond myself. For every little black girl out here to know, that a black woman can rise and be anything with perserverance and hard-work.

excellent topic.

6. Ms Drea

Ms Drea STAFF STAFF

United States
    Educator
    Ratings:
    +272
    Sister Michelle!

When Sister Michelle was on a talk show during the campaign the question was asked by the host, give three words to describe yourself. Her response was 1. Mom 2. Down-to-earth 3. Wife. Well, the number 2 answer did not surprise me at all. Prior to Barack Obama's announcement they he is running for President, I was not familiar with or noticed his wife, Sister Michelle. Now that I have become familiar with her, she has given me a new feeling of real sisterhood. She portrays a strong positive image in which our youth can be emulate and have a feeling of worthiness.
    Love & Blessings,
    Drea

7. Zulile

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    Reading Obama's early bio - Michelle didnt have it easy all these years! A great mind, fantastic career raking in the big bucks - she 'gave it all up' to be an at home mom and hostess to support her husbands long term bid for the presidency. A hope. A dream. That is no small feat! Some call that an extreme sacrifice, and even I gotta swallow hard thinking about it - I mean, if I had a good thing going it would take one heck of alot to make me completely change paths based a dream! But she (they) had faith and a deep understanding of the history to be made - and together they make an awesome team indeed. She is definitely no arm candy, and I would not be surprised in the least to find her becoming a formidable force (in politics or business) in future.

She is an amazing woman.

8. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +862
    I'm gonna be brutally honest here....

I assumed that I would see a Black president in my lifetime. That's just the way I felt. B.U.T. .... I had always assumed that the 1st Lady of the very 1st Black president would be white. There I said it. Or at least light-skinned. Michelle is neither. Plus she is what white people consider ethinic. JUST LIKE ME!!!! And like every other Black female I feel a superimposed sense of pride (first due to the race and and adding on the complexion) in our First Family Elect!

Y'all ain't gotta like it.

Peace.

9. sweet apple*pie

sweet apple*pie Well-Known Member MEMBER

I am a student, and all though it is hardwork, it
    Ratings:
    +30
    Its nothing wrong with what you said....you stated the facts. I for one, am glad that Michelle represents the race and complexion of a black woman. I myself, as a light skinned woman, thought the same things as you. Even I am glad that she is brown skinned....cas it really solidifies the fact the blacks are "doing things".

I think it's wonderful, and most appropriate.

10. Zulile

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    no way - america isnt ready for political black/white relationship in the highest office (either am I! :lol: ) we just tolerate it for entertainment purposes ;) but considering the most recent movie, Hancock - they had to delete the kiss between Will Smith and the white girl for public opinion. smh. good. No way Obama would have made it if he 'stole' a good white woman. I cant see it at all. Are there any white powerful white women with Black men? or is it the other way around.. :?: