Clyde C Coger Jr

PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
In the Spirit of Higher Education,

What 'males of color' need in a school: Column
There is a case for schools for undervalued black male students. But they have to be done right

The Jefferson County, Ky. school system is considering a proposal to open an academy for “males of color” and educate them through the lens of African-American culture.

Is this a good idea?

It depends on the why and the how.

First, the why ...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...on-achievement-gap-value-gap-column/89672558/

636082642645101318-AP-FREEDOM-SUMMER-REMEMBERED-61632141.JPG

(Photo: Rogelio V. Solis, AP)

Yes and No!

I remember in 6th grade when the nitwit nuns gave us a NEW history book. There was a picture made into the front cover. It portrayed a long line of people winding back to the horizon. The line represented time with the people farther back wearing more historical clothing. I sat in my little desk staring at that picture. Everybody in the line was White.

But what is the lesson of history?

Battle of the Shangani
The battle proved the effectiveness of the Maxim machine gun, which was to become central to later colonial battles. Cecil Rhodes, writing to Sir Gordon Sprigg, said that "the shooting must have been excellent. . . . It proves the [white] men were not only brave, but cool, and did not lose their heads, though surrounded with the hordes." A week later, on 1 November, 2,000 Matabele riflemen and 4,000 warriors attacked Forbes at Bembezi, about 30 miles (48 km) north-east of Bulawayo, but again they were no match for the crushing firepower of the major's Maxims: about 2,500 more Matabele were killed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Shangani

Who had the technology and who didn't?

I don't hear the Black History enthusiasts saying much about science and technology for the FUTURE.

So is this about JOBS for them?

um

PS - Duh, what do you mean I'm a cynic?

Yes and No!

I remember in 6th grade when the nitwit nuns gave us a NEW history book. There was a picture made into the front cover. It portrayed a long line of people winding back to the horizon. The line represented time with the people farther back wearing more historical clothing. I sat in my little desk staring at that picture. Everybody in the line was White.

But what is the lesson of history?

Battle of the Shangani

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Shangani

Who had the technology and who didn't?

I don't hear the Black History enthusiasts saying much about science and technology for the FUTURE.

So is this about JOBS for them?

um

PS - Duh, what do you mean I'm a cynic?

Your ambivalence is understood since the curriculum doesn't speak directly to science and technology, but largely promotes a focus on closing the black history gap.

For me, its a go, based on the current inadequacies and historical bridges facing our young black males.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back