Black People : What makes me sick about Detroit

Thanks for the response! :)

I disagree with the whole notion that Detroit will one day become desirable and developers will one day flood the region. Detroit exists and existed for only one *main reason* and that is for the auto/manufacturing industry (and of course for the lesser extent of being a port). Since that is mostly all gone then the region has nothing that could possibly attract investors.

In addition to that, Detroit has horrible weather that is not attractive to most Americans. The infastructure is widely deteriorated as well.

IF Detroit had a very strategic purpose like NYC, DC, Bay Area or even Miami then I could possibly see where your coming from [when you mentioned the investors trying to take advantage of blacks leaving].

Personally, I love Detroit and it's architecture. I have family in Palmer Woods and a few other areas who I enjoy visiting but you really have to look at things from an economic standpoint.

I am against individualism and agree that everybody should definitely be more collectivist. The issue is how to go about being collectivist in the most constructive and productive manner.

Obviously the first thought by impulse to be collectivist would be to pool your resources directly to the needy party. This is a very thoughtful, nice and positive way to be BUT unfortunately, if a long-term dependence is initiated then it will just make things worse. I think if one were to help the people in communities like Detroit then the only ways you could help them is via tourism and consumer spending in community businesses to stimulate the local economy.

Think about welfare, public assistance and other programs; and the generational poverty associated with it. The intent was good but sadly, many folks got attached to it and no longer knew how to fend for themselves and be independant. It also increased single mothers since the programs favored fatherless homes and made it beneficial to not have a man around (which created a whole long plethora of issues- but that's another thread). All this is not a long term answer for the advancement of a people especially in these times which are MUCH MUCH MUCH more competitive. We MUST become much more industrious and make our money go further. The need is now more urgent then ever, we are facing competition from not only Latin American immigrants but East Asian immigrants.
See this is my problem with Black conservatives. As soon as one says collective effort to assist, one immediatly thinks about a "hand out" or "charity"

Once again , look at history! Both Germany and Japan were bombed out hulls, after WW2. They did not ask for welfare nor a 'hand out" yet the US industrialists saw fit to invest and provide resources, that these people used to the point where 40 years later Germany was the biggest and highest union paid nation in Europe and Japan was lending to the US! I will sum up my point in two words Black Nationalism;

And when I say Collective Economics I mean this;

Thanks for the response! :)

I disagree with the whole notion that Detroit will one day become desirable and developers will one day flood the region. Detroit exists and existed for only one *main reason* and that is for the auto/manufacturing industry (and of course for the lesser extent of being a port). Since that is mostly all gone then the region has nothing that could possibly attract investors.

In addition to that, Detroit has horrible weather that is not attractive to most Americans. The infastructure is widely deteriorated as well.

January 16, 2013 12:11 PM
Detroit draws real estate investors worldwide

By Chris Christoff
Bloomberg News
Peter Grosso of Long Island, N.Y., paid about $90,000 for 29 Detroit homes at an auction for tax-delinquent properties last October. He's sure they'll sell at a profit within 10 years while he rents them for income.
Grosso is part of a Detroit land rush that has drawn investors from around the U.S. and as far away as England, Cambodia, China and Australia seeking distressed homes for as little as $500. Local buyers — and even a Dutch mink farmer — scooped up hundreds of houses at Wayne County's tax auctions, which last year put a record 21,350 tax-delinquent properties up for sale, 89 percent of them in Detroit, and sold 12,333.
"There's going to be a big turnaround for Detroit, and I want to be part of it," said Grosso, 32, who left a job at Citi Field stadium, home of the New York Mets, after he was injured in a fall while erecting a rooftop sun screen. He said he paid as little as $600 for his Detroit homes and has driven from Long Island several times to check on them.
While private equity firms such as Blackstone Group LP snap up foreclosed homes in California, Arizona and Florida, smaller investors have found bargain-basement bonanzas in Detroit. In a city bedeviled by crime, population loss and fiscal distress, buyers are betting on an urban renaissance like those in Washington, D.C.; the Brooklyn borough of New York City; and Pittsburgh, and property values are rising.
Erstwhile 'armpit'
"A lot of people think of Detroit as the armpit of America, but there are a lot of nice areas in Detroit where there's money to be made," said Nate Heaps, 32, of American Fork, Utah. He bought 290 Detroit properties for $189,600 at the October tax auction, according to Wayne County records.
Private equity firms and smaller investors are buying properties in some of the areas hardest hit by the U.S. housing crash, wagering demand for rentals will rise as banks restrict mortgage availability, putting home-buying out of reach for many. No cities in the U.S. match the Motor City's tax auctions for low prices, Heaps said.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/articl...detroit-draws-real-estate-investors-worldwide

Why Investors in China Love Detroit's Bankruptcy

The country's real-estate speculators are buying 30 cheap properties at a time, sight unseen.
Gwynn Guilford Jul 26 2013, 11:31 AM ET

inShare
More
http://www.theatlantic.com/china/ar...ors-in-china-love-detroits-bankruptcy/278132/
Why Detroit May Be the Next Investor Gold Mine

Alex McQuilkin | May 08, 2010 | Comments 0
http://www.greenrealestateinvesting...ng/green-real-estate-investing-made-easy.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/14/b...ake-downtown-detroit.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

This is what I meant by collective vs individual!
While we talk about what we assume is no value,

others are investing hand over fist,
so by the time we start it is too late!

And we seem to have done that in every major city in the US, when we had slums and abandoned buildings and lots!

January 16, 2013 12:11 PM
Detroit draws real estate investors worldwide

By Chris Christoff
Bloomberg News
Peter Grosso of Long Island, N.Y., paid about $90,000 for 29 Detroit homes at an auction for tax-delinquent properties last October. He's sure they'll sell at a profit within 10 years while he rents them for income.
Grosso is part of a Detroit land rush that has drawn investors from around the U.S. and as far away as England, Cambodia, China and Australia seeking distressed homes for as little as $500. Local buyers — and even a Dutch mink farmer — scooped up hundreds of houses at Wayne County's tax auctions, which last year put a record 21,350 tax-delinquent properties up for sale, 89 percent of them in Detroit, and sold 12,333.
"There's going to be a big turnaround for Detroit, and I want to be part of it," said Grosso, 32, who left a job at Citi Field stadium, home of the New York Mets, after he was injured in a fall while erecting a rooftop sun screen. He said he paid as little as $600 for his Detroit homes and has driven from Long Island several times to check on them.
While private equity firms such as Blackstone Group LP snap up foreclosed homes in California, Arizona and Florida, smaller investors have found bargain-basement bonanzas in Detroit. In a city bedeviled by crime, population loss and fiscal distress, buyers are betting on an urban renaissance like those in Washington, D.C.; the Brooklyn borough of New York City; and Pittsburgh, and property values are rising.
Erstwhile 'armpit'
"A lot of people think of Detroit as the armpit of America, but there are a lot of nice areas in Detroit where there's money to be made," said Nate Heaps, 32, of American Fork, Utah. He bought 290 Detroit properties for $189,600 at the October tax auction, according to Wayne County records.
Private equity firms and smaller investors are buying properties in some of the areas hardest hit by the U.S. housing crash, wagering demand for rentals will rise as banks restrict mortgage availability, putting home-buying out of reach for many. No cities in the U.S. match the Motor City's tax auctions for low prices, Heaps said.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/articl...detroit-draws-real-estate-investors-worldwide

Why Investors in China Love Detroit's Bankruptcy

The country's real-estate speculators are buying 30 cheap properties at a time, sight unseen.
Gwynn Guilford Jul 26 2013, 11:31 AM ET

inShare
More
http://www.theatlantic.com/china/ar...ors-in-china-love-detroits-bankruptcy/278132/
Why Detroit May Be the Next Investor Gold Mine

Alex McQuilkin | May 08, 2010 | Comments 0
http://www.greenrealestateinvesting...ng/green-real-estate-investing-made-easy.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/14/b...ake-downtown-detroit.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

This is what I meant by collective vs individual!
While we talk about what we assume is no value,

others are investing hand over fist,
so by the time we start it is too late!

And we seem to have done that in every major city in the US, when we had slums and abandoned buildings and lots!

Very good point.

But this is not solid evidence that Detroit is a stable investment. Yes, as your article suggests, some are choosing to invest in Detroit but as the article clearly states, those investors are taking a huge risk (compared to other cities). There is no indication or evidence that there will be a return on investment: just what appears to be baseless speculation on their part.

AND on the flip-side, if these properties don't sell then the new homeowners will be saddled with taxes and other major debt. It's a huge risk but hey, is it possible? Sure.

You make some very good points.

But in our capitalist economy, upward mobility is crucial for success. Unfortunately, the struggling people of Detroit don't seem to display those traits. What they need to do is pull themselves out of poverty which likely means seeking a new region where they can find their own success.

Even though I do agree that blacks in other parts of the country can be doing more to help the less fortunate. Detroit and that entire region is a declining sinking ship and is not a worthwhile investment for anybody to make on it. And when you offer long-term help, they are more likely to be dependent on it thus exacerbating the whole situation. A good reference would be the whole American welfare system and the generational poverty associated with it.

So, as somebody with personal finance and business background, my advice for anybody in this region trying to make something of themselves would be to GET THE HELL OUT!! Yes, I do understand that many own real estate, but the wisest thing to do would be to put your home on the market or see if you can rent it out. If nothing comes of it then I would just vacate the property and turn the property over to the bank. And the loss wouldn't be too excessive since homes in that region often go for under $30k.

Indeed dot com posts what the best job markets are for free. I can't post links yet but just search up "indeed unemployment" and it will show which regions are best in this respect. I find it very helpful.

I wish anybody in this situation the best of luck.

sigh

Besides being on an international border that's booming, it has the largest number og per capita engineers in north America. There are losts of very rich people lining up to invest in Detroit. So, somebody sees something.

What makes me sick is that the general population of the region wont benefit from any of the investment

Like the African nations after the recolonization of Mali, we all sit and wait, in the other 49 states

Oh when is this gonna happen to me???

Instead of saying an injury to one Black person in Detroit is an injury to us all

Detroit Will be Democracy’s Decisive Battle

By Glen Ford
Global Research, October 30, 2013
Black Agenda Report
Detroit is the battleground chosen by Wall Street to crush the last vestiges of American democracy by creating “the template for direct corporate rule.” Finance capital recognizes that it can no longer coexist with democratic institutions, which are most easily destroyed by attacking Black rule in the cities.
If we don’t do something real soon, I think you’ll have to agree that we’re going to be forced either to use the ballot or the bullet. It’s one or the other in 1964. It isn’t that time is running out — time has run out!” – Malcolm X, “The Ballot or the Bullet,”
http://www.globalresearch.ca/detroit-will-be-democracys-decisive-battle/5356188

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back