Black People : What makes me sick about Detroit

Alarm Clock

REGISTERED MEMBER
May 6, 2013
Let us be adults. Many of us have family we dot like but and those we do, but can we say that we could actually bear to see any of our family in pain or suffering, or bear the brunt of injustice, and opression.

It is a great and will be a historical embarassment in the anals of Black history that at this late date we have no national collective economic plan, no national cadre of idealists, real estate developers contractors plumbers, organizers, attorneys to work day and night to assist brother and sister in Detroit!

It makes me sick to the point of wanting to vomit, that here we are after spending a trillion dollars last year and a communications technology that can make foolishness and things that embarrass the race go viral but we cannot use that to help, those who are in trouble, and trouble due to outsourcing

From about 9 this morning we as a people more or less have spent in the 50 states about 6 million dollars, in snacky cakes, salty chips, soda pop, and energy drinks; money spent on bull crap that could have easily, been collectively sacrificed to assist in redevelopment programs in Detroit !

You make some very good points.

But in our capitalist economy, upward mobility is crucial for success. Unfortunately, the struggling people of Detroit don't seem to display those traits. What they need to do is pull themselves out of poverty which likely means seeking a new region where they can find their own success.

Even though I do agree that blacks in other parts of the country can be doing more to help the less fortunate. Detroit and that entire region is a declining sinking ship and is not a worthwhile investment for anybody to make on it. And when you offer long-term help, they are more likely to be dependent on it thus exacerbating the whole situation. A good reference would be the whole American welfare system and the generational poverty associated with it.

So, as somebody with personal finance and business background, my advice for anybody in this region trying to make something of themselves would be to GET THE HELL OUT!! Yes, I do understand that many own real estate, but the wisest thing to do would be to put your home on the market or see if you can rent it out. If nothing comes of it then I would just vacate the property and turn the property over to the bank. And the loss wouldn't be too excessive since homes in that region often go for under $30k.

Indeed dot com posts what the best job markets are for free. I can't post links yet but just search up "indeed unemployment" and it will show which regions are best in this respect. I find it very helpful.

I wish anybody in this situation the best of luck.

You make some very good points.

But in our capitalist economy, upward mobility is crucial for success. Unfortunately, the struggling people of Detroit don't seem to display those traits. What they need to do is pull themselves out of poverty which likely means seeking a new region where they can find their own success.

Even though I do agree that blacks in other parts of the country can be doing more to help the less fortunate. Detroit and that entire region is a declining sinking ship and is not a worthwhile investment for anybody to make on it. And when you offer long-term help, they are more likely to be dependent on it thus exacerbating the whole situation. A good reference would be the whole American welfare system and the generational poverty associated with it.

So, as somebody with personal finance and business background, my advice for anybody in this region trying to make something of themselves would be to GET THE HELL OUT!! Yes, I do understand that many own real estate, but the wisest thing to do would be to put your home on the market or see if you can rent it out. If nothing comes of it then I would just vacate the property and turn the property over to the bank. And the loss wouldn't be too excessive since homes in that region often go for under $30k.

Indeed dot com posts what the best job markets are for free. I can't post links yet but just search up "indeed unemployment" and it will show which regions are best in this respect. I find it very helpful.

I wish anybody in this situation the best of luck.
God bless you my brother, you have your point of view and I have mine.
But let us be adults. We no longer live in just a capitailst mnation we live now for the last 12 years in what Mussolini called the epitome of Fascism the corporate state, so be honest Bro, yopu know good and well that the area was destablized so wealthy develoipers can come in and make a killing and a paradise , as soon as folks do what you mention.......................move out!

See now here is my disconnect with the Black conservative;

They espouse the ethic of rugged individualism when they know darn well that the one percent are more collectivist, as the liberatarians call them,. more into unity, more into the good of the group then anyone else and that is how they stay up there,
while telling the masses this hype an dream of individualism!

A couple weeks ago I heard on the DL Hugely Radio Show that some grouped organization are offerering young adults in different parts of the country free to low cost housing and some other easily accessible living resources (don't remember what exactly now) to move to Detroit in order to give the city some sort of economic boost.

I used to love visiting Detroit back in the late 90s but for the past 5 years Ive almost completely lost interest due to how terrible the city has gotten. Only thing I'll still enjoy going to the city for are Detroit Lions' games in which I'll be attending this football season.

God bless you my brother, you have your point of view and I have mine.
But let us be adults. We no longer live in just a capitailst mnation we live now for the last 12 years in what Mussolini called the epitome of Fascism the corporate state, so be honest Bro, yopu know good and well that the area was destablized so wealthy develoipers can come in and make a killing and a paradise , as soon as folks do what you mention.......................move out!

Thanks for the response! :)

I disagree with the whole notion that Detroit will one day become desirable and developers will one day flood the region. Detroit exists and existed for only one *main reason* and that is for the auto/manufacturing industry (and of course for the lesser extent of being a port). Since that is mostly all gone then the region has nothing that could possibly attract investors.

In addition to that, Detroit has horrible weather that is not attractive to most Americans. The infastructure is widely deteriorated as well.

IF Detroit had a very strategic purpose like NYC, DC, Bay Area or even Miami then I could possibly see where your coming from [when you mentioned the investors trying to take advantage of blacks leaving].

Personally, I love Detroit and it's architecture. I have family in Palmer Woods and a few other areas who I enjoy visiting but you really have to look at things from an economic standpoint.

See now here is my disconnect with the Black conservative;

They espouse the ethic of rugged individualism when they know darn well that the one percent are more collectivist, as the liberatarians call them,. more into unity, more into the good of the group then anyone else and that is how they stay up there,
while telling the masses this hype an dream of individualism!

I am against individualism and agree that everybody should definitely be more collectivist. The issue is how to go about being collectivist in the most constructive and productive manner.

Obviously the first thought by impulse to be collectivist would be to pool your resources directly to the needy party. This is a very thoughtful, nice and positive way to be BUT unfortunately, if a long-term dependence is initiated then it will just make things worse. I think if one were to help the people in communities like Detroit then the only ways you could help them is via tourism and consumer spending in community businesses to stimulate the local economy.

Think about welfare, public assistance and other programs; and the generational poverty associated with it. The intent was good but sadly, many folks got attached to it and no longer knew how to fend for themselves and be independant. It also increased single mothers since the programs favored fatherless homes and made it beneficial to not have a man around (which created a whole long plethora of issues- but that's another thread). All this is not a long term answer for the advancement of a people especially in these times which are MUCH MUCH MUCH more competitive. We MUST become much more industrious and make our money go further. The need is now more urgent then ever, we are facing competition from not only Latin American immigrants but East Asian immigrants.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back