Black People : What Kind Of Thinker Are You?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by cherryblossom, Apr 23, 2009.

1. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Four Types Of Thinking Styles

"Not only do we have preferred learning styles; we also have favourite thinking styles. Anthony Gregorc, professor of curriculum and instruction at the University of Connecticut, has divided these into four separate groups:

* Concrete sequential.
    * Concrete random.
    * Abstract random.
    * Abstract sequential.

We stress, however, that no thinking style is superior; they are simply different. Each style can be effective in its own way. The important thing is that you become more aware of which learning style and thinking style works best for you. Once you know your own style, you can then analyse the others. This will help you understand other people better. It will make you more flexible. And perhaps we can all pick up tips from each other on how to be more effective.

Concrete sequential thinkers are based in reality, according to SuperCamp co-founder and president Bobbi DePorter. They process information in an ordered, sequential, linear way. To them, "reality consists of what they can detect through their physical sense of sight, touch, sound, taste and smell. They notice and recall details easily and remember facts specific information, formulas and rules with ease. 'Hands on' is a good way for these people to learn." If you're concrete sequential—a CS—build on your organisational strengths. Provide yourself with details. Break your projects down into specific steps. Set up quiet work environments.

Concrete random thinkers are experimenters. says DePorter: "Like concrete sequentials, they're based in reality, but are willing to take more of a trial-and-error approach. Because of this, they often make the intuitive leaps necessary for true creative thought. They have a strong need to find alternatives and do things in their own way." If you're a CR, use your divergent thinking ability. Believe that it's good to see things from more than one viewpoint. Put yourself in a position to solve problems. But give yourself deadlines. Accept your need for change. Try and work with people who value divergent thinking.

Abstract random thinkers organise information through reflection, and thrive in unstructured, people-oriented environments. Says DePorter: "The 'real' world for abstract random learners is the world of feelings and emotions. The AR's mind absorbs ideas, information and impressions and organises them through reflection. They remember best if information is personalised. They feel constricted when they're subjected to a very structured environment." If you're an AR, use your natural ability to work with others. Recognise how strongly emotions influence your concentration. Build on your strength of learning by association. Look at the big picture first. Be careful to allow enough time to finish the job. Remind yourself to do things through plenty of visual clues, such as coloured stickers pasted up where you'll see them.

Abstract sequential thinkers love the world of theory and abstract thought. They like to think in concepts and analyse information. They make great philosophers and research scientists. DePorter again: "It's easy for them to zoom in on what's important, such as key points and significant details. Their thinking processes are logical, rational and intellectual. A favourite activity for abstract sequentials is reading, and when a project needs to be researched they are very thorough at it. Generally they prefer to work alone rather than in groups." If you're an AS, give yourself exercises in logic. Feed your intellect. Steer yourself toward highly structured situations."

Test your "Thinking Style" here:
    http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache...+abstract+sequential&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

2. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    According to my test scores, (if i prepared it correctly) my thinking is abstract random.

:heart:

3. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    I understand your points & views on this CB, but to be honest with you, I try not to put a label on myself or to say/think that I'm "this or that" type of person. The one thing that I have discovered about these types of tests is that I move from one "type" to the other on a daily basis, depending on circumstances & situations. I don't think that any of us are concrete in anything, be it physical, emotional, spiritual or anything else. To me, that is the order of the universe.......balanced. That means that we are one thing one day, but are the exact opposite the next. And in the end, after all is said, done and counted, it all averages out to zero.
    I hope you get the idea of what I'm saying. I truly am not being critical of your post. Just pointing out my view.

:10200:

4. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    No worries, Kamau. I totally understand your viewpoint. To me, as well, all such "tests" are subjective and not set in concrete. We are all products of our exposures and experiences and DNA.

I only posted it because the recent posts about Ego/Superego from True2totheCause reminded me of this.

None of this is intended to make someone think he or she is a certain type of person. When people get it set in their minds that they are a particular "way," they begin to make excuses for their behavior by saying, "Well, that's just how I am" as if that is a blanket acquittal of everything they do and say.

However, I do think that tests like this can help someone see and understand why and how they process/handle/approach different matters in their lives; and if they use it to improve themselves by addressing their weak spots, then I think it's a good thing.

5. A007

A007 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +115
    I am CS.

6. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    This is absolutely crazy! Imagine someone coming to a conclusion about the most complex thing there is on the earth...THE HUMAN MIND. Imagine some sucker like me buying into that nonsense and getting into the box with the other three thought processes. There are too many genetic, spiritual and influx of universal energies throughout a conscious melanated person for this to be true... and to my knowledge, the only people who have mapped out the human mind were our ancestors in Kemet. Our people had millions of years to learn and be able to do this, so how am I supposed to take a Johnny come lately's word about anything that seeks to redefine a reality that they themselves are not conscious of?

7. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    thas what i'm saying keita....
    my thinkin style is so profound....it's not even listed....lol

one love
    khasm

8. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    um

can't say i'm mad at you

yes i agree i'm all four

the chakras was about energy this is not

9. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    i dunno.......

i'll have to think about it......:thinking:

10. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    In the Spirit of Sankofa!

All of the above:). I also want to think that I am God's man thru:), cherryblossom, what do you think? (seriously, JK(just kidding), k....I don't know if I could handle what you think:))

Excellent post here, mover and shaker you!