Black People : What kind of employee are you?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Full Speed, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    I am both an employee and an employer. I work a full time job and I own a business. I have always wanted to have a job that I enjoyed so much that I would do it even if I where not being paid. I have also always loved business. Therefore, I have, for most of my adult life had both a job and a business. One thing this does is give me the perspective of both the employee and the employer.

As an employer, I have found that finding good employees is a challenge. I came to the conclusion years ago that it is important to pay people what they are worth. I look for people who understand that their purpose as an employee is to enhance the companies bottom line.

If you are an employee, are you productive? Do you act with your employers bottom line in mind? Are you compensated as an employee appropriately for your skill level and value to the company? How would you rate yourself as an employee? Do you enjoy your job?

If you are self-employed, do you have employees?

2. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    I hate working for other people.

A couple years back, I had my own graphics design business. I didn't have any employees because I really only needed myself at that time to do the graphics. I had a business partner, but he handled the networking/marketing side.

If I do work for a company, outside of my own, I don't work well in team-environments...I work better with less supervision and alone.

Do I act with my employers bottom line in mind???? Uh...whatchu talkin' bout Willis?

Since I'm not employed right now, cause it's SUMMER, I did/do like my job as a Sub Teacher....I was given instructions by the teacher who was absent and it was pretty easy...and I enjoyed the kids, and I think they also got a kick out of me too...so yeah I liked my job.

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    I am both an employee and an employer. I work a full time job and I own a business.

I too have both and working i give myself 110% to produce the product at it's
    highest grade as a business man i agree good help is hard to fine when it comes
    to the best intrest of the company. But I try to build and instill that we grow
    together by giving and fulfilling the customers need.

I love what i do on both ends , sometime it can be a very stressful maze
    from one end to the other.............i now direct my focus on my profolio
    and shares and how to move my chips

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    i worked in a team environment.
    i believed that the best leader was also the best follower.
    i was an excellent employee.

5. Full Speed

Ratings:
    +1,045
    To each of you who responded and to anyone who may elect to respond, what is/was your biggest motivator as an employee? What would provoke you to work harder or be more committed to your job? Or do you work as regardless of working conditions, pay, belief in the mission statement of the employer, etc. etc. etc.?

6. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Is this a job interview??? Cause if so, I'd like to know the position that I am applying for. Thank you in advance.

7. Full Speed

Ratings:
    +1,045
    I have just had some things come up in my business in the last few days that made me think about employee motivation and such. I had two guys that I felt were less productive than they needed to be and I tried several different tactics to get them to proform to the level I expected. Our work was backing up so I hired one more guy. This guy walked in and accomplished more in one day than these guys were able to accomplish as a team in a week.

8. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    If you don't mind me asking...What type of business is that you own? And what "tactics" did you try?

9. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    I don't what type of employer you are or how you deal with your employees...And I'm not here to tell you how to run your business which you created.

I know from past employment, there were jobs where I didn't feel motivated. The reason for myself not feeling motivate was because I felt like there was no real purpose for me within that company, and I felt like I was there just to be there to get paid...Yes, I was learning a skill and gaining work experience, but at that time I just wanted to get off and go home...But I was younger than and my priorities weren't the best.

Sometimes, when you are an employee with that mind-frame, you think to yourself "Why am I over here working for someone else, I can do better than this" (but we know that may be an ego-trip)....

But I dunno....There could be many reasons why these fellas at your job aren't motivated...It may have nothing to do with you and more so to do with them being lazy.

These are hypothetical questions...(they need not be answered, if you do not wish too)

Why did you hire these gentlemen in the first place?

Were they hard working in the beginning?

10. Mikha'el

Mikha'el Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Student
    Ratings:
    +246
    Well im not an employee right but in the past I have worked best in a job environment where the work was stimulating....i'm fine working as part of a group or by myself. I'm not fond of bosses who just bark orders out I haven't been as productive as an employee as i can be because i wasnt fond of working when i was younger due to having most of my needs n wants provided by my parents. I was nvr an outstanding employee but i did do my work. I did not enjoy any of the jobs i worked except one when i was a server.