What is your opinion about the move toward cloning?

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by Nia Maishani, Nov 26, 2001.

1. Nia Maishani

Nia Maishani Well-Known Member MEMBER

Business Owner
    Displaced at the Junction of Hoosiers and Bluegras
    Ratings:
    +1
    Advanced Cell Technology released a report today that they cloned the first human "embryos". Rationale: "therapeutic value"; aim is to "create" healthy cells from "embryos", and transplant those healthy cells into unhealthy persons, to supposedly cure certain illnesses (such as heart disease) and spinal injuries. What do you think?

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    hummmmm!!!

as i walk my mind through it all i'll get back at ya on dis one!:confused:

3. Nia Maishani

Business Owner
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cloning not gonna happen?

Now what constitutes "safe" or "unsafe" cloning of cells? And how do we know what technology does not exist for certain practices? One biomedical company in particular has gone on the record to say that human embryo cloning is an everyday thing for them, and that their location is undisclosed for security reasons.

Kemetstry wrote: "Moreover, the ethical questions of human experimentation is a line that should only be crossed under the most rigorous restrictions and rules."

I agree with that, although it is my opinion that we have already crossed that line on countless occasions under lenient terms. Increasingly lenient terms, to be precise.

Kemetstry wrote: "I suspect that recent developments will only accelerate legislation against such acts."

I predict that it won't. Although Congress is considering a ban, and several states have already issued bans on cloning, there are too many arguments in favor of it (although not rational arguments, in my opinion) for it not to happen...eventually.

Most people want, by what ever means, to see cures come for various life-threatening illnesses. If for no other reasons, the masses will be in favor of cloning once they become deceived into believing that cloning is the answer to those health problems and others. Heart disease, a very commonly referenced illness that can potentially (supposedly) be cured through cloning, is entirely preventable. That fact is never taken into consideration. Root issues in general are never considered or acknowledged.

Most folk who do not have a strong opinion either for or against abortion, will acquiesce under terms of "saving the life of the mother". Thus, if it benefits someone who is further along in "life", or if it benefits a larger population in comparison to one "potential personhood", most will be in favor. Legalizing abortion, then legalizing stem cell research were merely two precedents to what is about to become a sanctioned practice. Cloning, that is. Transgender surgeries fall under the same category. It is all human experimentation for convenience. And for profit.

4. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I truely feel

that cloning is a bad thing
    who wants 2 be cloned
    if it was ment to be i would have been
    a twin or something

really i agree wit ya it will never happen in this life tyme
    coz like Kem said it's simply not safe

5. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    i dont see it happening

who want it anyway!!
    not me....................

6. Nia Maishani

Business Owner
    Ratings:
    +1
    New Development...

Who wants it? LOTS of people. According to one doctor from Lexington, KY who was interviewed on NPR recently, he has couples beating down his door trying to qualify for his mad scientist procedure, where he implants a cloned embryo into the womb of the mother. The procedure is only provided to couples who have tried all other available options, including in vitro fertilization, with no success. I took down a bunch of notes on it, but don't have them at my fingertips. Want to write a story on the whole emerging cloning/human experimentation thing, including the microchip situation. Couples are paying tens of thousands of dollars for the procedure, and lots of couples are being turned down because they ran past one of the steps (trying other methods) to get to the cloning alternative. This is real! It is happening as we speak. I'll be happy to provide the specifics when I retrieve my notes. If anyone is interested.

7. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    well good luck to them

i give my love to them
    i just don't want it
    it's a mad project......