Black People : What Is Your Definition of Freedom?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by UBNaturally, Aug 26, 2014.

1. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Would like to gather the ideas and perceptions of what we consider "Freedom" to be.

Fight+for+Freedom[1].jpg

If anyone has ideas and context for those ideas please, add to this discussion.

Here is how we should do this in order to create a clean outline to follow so as not to blur what this thread is attempting to do, define "Freedom".

Give three instances in which one would consider the advent of "Freedom"

Example:

1. The ability to move around freely
    2. The elimination of barriers that constrain the mind
    3. Knowing I can go to a place without fear

One can expound on these, but the basics would be to lay out three instances that would signify what "Freedom" would look like in your own mind/world.

Respect

2. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Hello.

I don't like being the first, since the second mouse gets the cheese. But I will go ahead and reply.

Freedom does not exist in a vacuum. Without power, authority and self discipline no one can be free.

We might think of freedom as not having anyone stop us from doing what we want to do. But no one needs to stop us from doing what we don't have the power to do. No one would stop me from jumping out a window but if I don't have the power to fly am I free to fly?

As African Americans we know that authority doesn't always do what it's supposed to do—protect our rights and facilitate our legitimate actions. When authority does what it's supposed to do, we are able to move without interference from those who would stop us or take what we have.

Self discipline makes us less vulnerable to the machinations of people who want us to do what they want us to do. With self discipline we know what we want and are able to focus on what we have to do to get and maintain it.

3. crwn

crwn Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +458
    The ability to do as I will without causing harm, anything else is compromised

4. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Self-determination, i.e., the ability to plot one's course in life without outside interference.