Black Spirituality Religion : What is your definition of FAITH ?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Akilah, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Akilah

Akilah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Scheduling Coordinator for large Health System
    Ratings:
    +36
    Mariam-Webster dictionary defines FAITH as follows :

1 a : allegiance to duty or a person : LOYALTY b (1) : fidelity to one's promises (2) : sincerity of intentions
    2 a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust
    3 : something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs
    synonym see BELIEF

What is your PERSONAL definition of FAITH and do you embody that definition ?

2. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Hey Sista Akilah

Well there's faith and then there is faith.

It's like a tightrope walker who spanned a rope across Niagara Falls and walked across with a wheelbarrow. When He got to the other side he asked the crowd if they believed he could do it again. Everybody cheered. Then he asked could he get a volunteer to ride in the wheelbarrow. Of course there was silence.

Faith is the impetus to get in that wheelbarrow. It's not mere belif or holding some thing to be true despite all evidence to the contrary. Faith comes when we trust someone's authority, when we see things happening in the lives of others and take the efort to make those things happen in our own lives, when we become so sick and tired of where we are that we must move.

Right now from a mundane point of view concerning the things of my life, going to school and reaching out to others with the love of God I can honestly say that I am exercising a great deal of faith. From a standpoint of purely spiritual things I cannot say that.

3. Akilah

Akilah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Scheduling Coordinator for large Health System
    Ratings:
    +36
    Thank you so much for sharing that Sistah River.
    I admire you greatly ...

Much Peace ~

4. Music Producer

Music Producer Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +94
    A study that leads to a thought that defines, explains and determines you as a human being which causes you to be moral and just to self and other persons.
    This comes to light usually based on doctrine of a god or by a god or one you see as wiser than self.

Or

A study that leads to a thought that does not define, explain and determine you as a human being which causes you to be immoral and unjust to self and other persons.
    This comes to light usually based on doctrine of a god or by a god or one you see as wiser than self.

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    faith is when you believe in something that you know ain't true

6. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    LOL, I tend to agree with this.

PEACE

7. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace,

Faith is the absence of study or investigation into a belief system or "God" which the faithful had no hand in constructing, yet insist the doctrine is correct and that "God" exists and will give one passage too the other side if you remain "faithful".

Faith is the vehicle insisted upon by the enemy too maintain control of the righteous and sincere religious mind too keep them captive, dis-united and subliminally bowing down too their former slave captors as "God".....

I humbly leave you in peace

8. HoneyBrown05

HoneyBrown05 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Faith is...

believing :angel1:

9. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I like this definition, especially when it pertains to religion.

(1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof

10. HoneyBrown05

HoneyBrown05 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Hebrews 12:1-3

By faith we understand:
    " Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, evidence of things not seen. For by it the elders obtained a good testimony. By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible."
    Examples of Faith:
    Hebrews 12:7..
    " By faith Noah, being divinely warned of things not yet seen, moved with godly fear, prepared an ark for the saying of his household,by which he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness which is according to faith."
    Verse 8:
    " By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to the place which he would afterward receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going."
    And it is by faith that we overcome!