Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : WHAT IS WRONG WITH BRAIDS??? UHHH!

tay_tay225

Feb 22, 2010
There was another thread in which the one who started it was trying to persuade others to stop with the straight-hair-is-the-best-hair thing (^ I think it was you, actually!) Braids are beautiful and it wasn't always like this. And I'm sorry to say it, but so many black women are being "white-ified." Losing our curves, putting in all this weave so it's straight, wearing more make up than we need -- we ARE. Even if we don't want to say we are and insist that we just like the way we look. I don't care what your reason is for doing it. You're doing it and that's enough.

So, as I've said elsewhere, I've completely stopped with the relaxers and hair straighteners lately. It's been hard because I feel like I'm the only one. But knowing why I'm doing it is what's helping me go on. While braids do make it easier for me, I also love the way they look.

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
In the Spirit of Sankofa and Real Truth!

Thankyou Bro. Clyde- that's very sweet of you to say! :)

enquiring_mind(Queenie)...You are very welcome. And oh, by the way, I have not forgotten about the microphone in the Chat Room:)...Peace In my sister friend, for real!

Bootzey

Feb 26, 2008
Metro ATL
Occupation
Don't Ask
There was another thread in which the one who started it was trying to persuade others to stop with the straight-hair-is-the-best-hair thing (^ I think it was you, actually!) Braids are beautiful and it wasn't always like this. And I'm sorry to say it, but so many black women are being "white-ified." Losing our curves, putting in all this weave so it's straight, wearing more make up than we need -- we ARE. Even if we don't want to say we are and insist that we just like the way we look. I don't care what your reason is for doing it. You're doing it and that's enough.

So, as I've said elsewhere, I've completely stopped with the relaxers and hair straighteners lately. It's been hard because I feel like I'm the only one. But knowing why I'm doing it is what's helping me go on. While braids do make it easier for me, I also love the way they look.

Tay Tay,

I would like to formally welcome you to Atlanta, GA. Here you will find all manner curvaciousness and foolishness. You will never feel alone here. there are braids, weaves, perms, naturals, locs, extensions.... What ever you are looking for we have it. Headwraps and long skirts, meets bootie shorts and patriotic red,white, and blue weaves. all are welcome and accepted!

MsInterpret

Apr 21, 2007
Washington
A little background

Okay here is a little background on the picture with the weave-wearing-baby.

This is VERY much real. The mother of this baby loves weave soooo much, she thought that her little baby girl needed weave too. Thus, the baby weave.

I don't know about you but if babies came out of the womb with hair like that, I wouldn't even attempt to having a child.

Could you imagine the baby vomiting and drooling in that weave? LAWD :SuN049:

HyperKill

Banned
Dec 18, 2009
My issue is this. Why is it that when you are a black woman and you choose to wear braids whether with your natural hair or braided extensions ( my hair is natural btw) it seems that it is OTHER BLACK WOMEN who look down upon my style more so than any other race? It's like, when your hair is more European looking with a weave you are better than the girl with the natural braids. I receive so many compliments about my braids from all other races. Even white men ( black men as well) try to talk to me soooo much more when my hair is in my beautiful braids. But, other black women treat it like a " I don't care about my hair right now" type of style when I see it as a statement saying, " I appreciate all the styles that our African hair can create including braids. " Even for my wedding, black women have told me to
get a long straight indian hair weave if I want to look presentable
while my white friends tell me to get the long braided senegallese twist which they always say are soo beautiful. Why is this? I also notice with our black men, I recieve more compliments about my braided hair then any time I've worn my weaves or straight relaxed hair in the past. Do our men appreciate our natural styles more than we do or am I crazy. And I do not mean micro braids, or braids only braided half way down with weave ends, I mean old school braids - all the way braided down with my hair or the kanekalon hair. Please give some insight.... thanks!
Many if not most blacks are not independent minded enough to establish their own standard of beauty and go by whats often perceived as "presentable' to whites. Other than that as Bro James would say, it's self hate and plain stupidity. But overall just do you and stop worrying about the world.

Josef

Oct 28, 2008
Occupation
Electrical wiring tech
I was hoping the photo of the weave wearing baby was a fake....

sad that they are indirectly but more importantly deceitfuly teaching her that her natural hair is inferior and not pretty enough..

Oh how I miss the days

afro puff, natural... please make your way on top again...

heck they are bringing everything else back...

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

Clarity to pursue my mission in 2020
Destee wrote on Omowale Jabali's profile.
Hi Brother O! YAAAAAY! Good to see you! Hoping all is well with you and yours! Happy New Year! :heart:
Destee wrote on King Tubbs's profile.
Hi Brother - so good to see you in the house again! Hoping all is well with you and yours! Happy New Year Beloved! :heart:
Destee wrote on Ms Drea's profile.
Sister ... what did you decide? How will we be moving forward? I've been working, I am excited. I Love You! Happy New Year Beloved! :heart:
One-Hundredd wrote on Destee's profile.
Hope you having a happy holidayz