Black Spirituality Religion : What is the Yoruba concept of the afterlife?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Ankhur, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    open for discussion, and so things can be brought to light and understanding, and end any misunderstandings

2. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    A simplified statement:

The question of the hereafter has perplexed mankind for ages. People of every age and society have pondered the subject, and there is no shortage of proposed answers. The Yoruba believe in the life after death. They claim that after the death of the body, the soul continues to exist in another world, that is, in an afterlife. Practices, religious experiences and beliefs show the belief of the people in an afterlife.

Pouring libation to the ancestors, invoking their names to settle disputes, mentioning their names in discussions and seeing them in dreams presuppose that the ancestors are still in existence in some form or another. They are always watching to see that the living are on the right path, and that they preserve what their forefathers established.

The thought of their continued existence keeps the social structure together and enhances the relationship between the living and the dead. On the whole, it appears that many Yoruba people think of the hereafter having similar features as those of the present life. For the Yoruba, the real picture of the life after death, therefore, is a life of an unending fellowship in the community of one’s kith and kin who had gone before into the world beyond.

3. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    akes an understanding of the concept of soul, according to Vodou. The spirit housed in the govi is a former living member of the sosyete that holds the govi. As such, the spirit has an honored place in the sosyete. Shortly, after death, the spirit is collected from "water" and placed in the govi. Once in the govi, the vodouisants of the house can ask questions regarding what the spirit wishes in death. To see spirit in the govi speak is a very disturbing phenomenon and a many Vodouisants who have witnessed this speak about about how eery and unnerving it is.

Now here is a question asked with sincerity: Are the souls released from the govi at some point?

The souls stay in the govi as long as the sosyete stands. They are called on in time of need. It is similar to Palo where the munanso has a firma which is used to gather the strength and knowledge of all the former members to assist in trajabo (travay).

Is the Yoruba afterlife or otherworld an open limitless space, and free place as in the heaven of various religions such as in
    Hindu,
    Native American;Lakota, Inuit, Shinakok, Cheyenne
    Sikh
    Buddhism
    Kemet
    Zulu
    Kikuyu
    Zooastrian
    Maoori
    Kahuna

Or is it in a jar or container as mentioned above?

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Dude,

What are you talking about? Stop trying to smear African based traditions according to your limited understanding of it.

Many people have said this, I am trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but you operate like an agent provocateur. Please do not disappoint me and truly turn out to be one. One love... bruh or sis.

5. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771

Now here is a question asked with sincerity: Are the souls released from the govi at some point?

I don't know. In Santeria we don't have such a way.

Please take out Buddhism from the list. There are no spirits in Buddhism. No God in Buddhism, It's not compatible.

6. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    the bardo state is not an afterlife?

7. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    Its Brother and really,

Why the fear of clarity and hiding stuff like you are an agent of the illuminati or something , acting like George Bush when they question him about 9/11,
    or acting like Dick Cheney calling folks unpatriotic for asking why the wars started.

So in seeking clarity or a further understading , you call that smearing????

just by asking questions??

I thought only the neocons and masons act like that

there are over 50 folks from all different faiths who would like to be clear on this issue

I am trying to get a clear understanding and I would have left it alone if your buddy did not bring some foolishness to the conversation so let folks here know what the real deal is

and now that you are here can you answer the simple question is this part of Yoruba culture or not?
    Becuase there are many waiting for your response!

8. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    What is a govi?

A clay jar or urn housing the spiritual essence of either a lwa or an ancestor.

More information of the wished to be informed about sevis Vodou.

http://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/vodou/tools4.html#tools1

More on Govi and it's purpose from a respected sosyete, affiliated with respected people I know of:

" govi--a small earthen bottle into which the gros-bon-ange of dead ancestors can "rescued." After a person dies the gros-bon-ange goes to the underwater place. A year and a day after he or she goes their the relatives can recall the gros-bon-ange. Unfortunately this is a very expensive service, requiring a significant animal sacrifice, often an ox. Thus it is often considerable time before the service can be done. If too much time passes the ancestor may get a bit restless and cause trouble-- illness etc."

What is a gros-bon-ange?

"The gros-bon-ange means, literally, "great good angel” and reflect the part of the cosmic energy that turns into lifeforce; it could be possible to separate a person's gros-bon-ange from him or her, and store it in a bottle or jar, where the energy can be directed to other purposes."

http://www.deardeath.com/haiti.htm

Understand Vodou....

9. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    I apreciate that brother, and like I said I read the Serpent and the Rainbow that is why I asked the quesion originally

but my motive, intention and purpose is is this practice part of Yoruba and Ifa?

10. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    I am not sure about Yoruba culture because I am not Yoruba nor am I initiated into Yoruba anything.