Black People : What is the Vision of Black Nationalism & Reparations Movements

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Full Speed, May 29, 2010.

1. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    If You Don't Know Where You're Going, You'll Probably End Up Somewhere Else

If You Don't Know Where You're Going, Any road will get you there.

Is the reparations movement just about getting paid? Is there no game plan associated with the reparations movement for sustaining wealth and independence, or will it simply be a Dave Chappelle moment where we get paid then transfer all the wealth back to the white man through big shiny wheels and jewlry?

Is there a plan for Black Nationalism or is it just talk? I was watching the Malcom X explains Black Nationalism video in another thread and noticed that he didn't actually explain Black Nationalism, he just said it was Black Nationalism that brought freedom to the Nigerians, Algerians, Sudanese etc. and indicated that they did not get freedom by protest, but by Nationalism. He idicated that you don't need a debate nor a philabustor, you need some action. My question is WHAT is the ACTION that is Black Nationalism? My next question is, of the countries that he mentioned that Black Nationalism has brought freedom to, are they better off than we are who remain In America in the system as it is?

What is the Vision of Black Nationalism & the Reparations Movement? (I mean specific action steps that we can measure our progress in that direction if we so choose to take that path)

2. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    That depends on what you mean by "better off." Is it better to be hungry but free or to be chained to a table with a seven course meal? Who but a slave master would even ask such a question?

I don't know the answers to your other questions and if I did I would not lay them out here.

3. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    Often people use these terms like they use certain religious ideologies----they sound good on paper, but when it comes to actualizing the concepts, something gets lost in translation. My understanding is that Black nationalism is about Black self-rule on our own lands and within context of African/Black culture. That's a simplistic definition I know, but that would sum up how I've heard folks use the term. In terms of concrete steps, river is correct in that you would not lay out strategies of war for the enemy to see----and any REAL steps taken in that direction would indeed prove to be a threat for our enemies. One problem is that I can just about guarantee you that some would still allow outsiders and/or their interests to filter in. Also, many will still not see that the meeting BEFORE the meeting always strategizes how to offset any potential progress or good that might present itself in the form of reparations; one key example of this is the defining of blackness, at least in this country, where any soul with the proverbial 'drop' is 'black'---so, should reparations come through, you can just about predict that the 'black' population will suddenly thrive, thereby reducing the monetary amount going to real descendents of African slaves. Basically, there are dynamics and social practices in effect in the Black community that will indeed be used against us unless we implement policies to end them. Yet another potential issue is the need to know what cultural institutions and practices from our history did and did not work for us---unless we understand how to weigh these things, we'll have so-called nations that are nothing more than mini-models of capitalistic societies in black face.

4. Full Speed

Ratings:
    +1,045
    Hmmm

Is the reparations movement just about getting paid?

Is there a plan for Black Nationalism or is it just talk?

My question is WHAT is the ACTION that is Black Nationalism?

My next question is, of the countries that he mentioned that Black Nationalism has brought freedom to, are they better off than we are who remain In America in the system as it is?

What is the Vision of Black Nationalism & the Reparations Movement?

Of the five questions I asked, You have only one answer, and that answer is to criticize the person asking the question. I am neither a slave nor a slave master but in light of the fact that no one I have spoken to can even articulate the vision of Black Nationalism, I think somebody needs to start asking some questions because the calling the flag of Black Nationalism "Action" without there being any real "Action" to it is not productive at all.

If Black Nationalism brought freedom to Nigeria, Algeria, etc....then this is already out there, its on the table....where is the need for secrecy? Is the plan to sneek away in the middle of the night, start our own country, and build a fence around it to insure we have self-rule by morning? IMO, moves we make towards self-governing cannot nor need not be made in concealment.

My question is if the claim that Black Nationalism brought freedom to Nigeria, Algeria, etc....is this claim accurate...do they have freedom? If they don't, then perhaps Black Nationalism isn't the Answer Malcom considered it to be. If it is, we need to emulate what they have already done.

5. truetothecause

truetothecause Well-Known Member MEMBER

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    The vision I hold of what LIFE would be like in a Nation of Afreekans who have or is in the process of healing [reparations] is laid out in the book/story Two Thousand Seasons prior to the incursion and encroachment of that cultural other in our lives/"Life" style.
    The Novel

As to the STEPS towards RE~Covering and RE~claiming with the express purpose of LIVING this Vision...well I do that nightly in the Recovery Room of R.N.A. and have done so here with you as well in the past.
    My program of Recovery is likely the tool needed to take that first step and during our classes/shows/meetings, we recognize or uncover that most bas[ic]e barrier which is the physical SELF...biology/physiologically focused.
    Sonia Barrett also discusses the concept/realization of biologic/physiological make up of the mind, its connection to the spirit/feeling state that support the behaviors displayed by "humans".

Now, given I have had problematic communicational interactions with you in the past, coupled with the fact that there appears no foundation for resolution, my intent here was to simply answer the question. I thank you for listening.....

ending trans.....

M.E.
    :hearts2:

6. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    If you ask the same questions over again you can expect to receive the same answers over again.

7. Full Speed

Ratings:
    +1,045
    OK, so basically you don't know any answers but criticize anyone who dares ask...gotcha. Thanks for your input.

8. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Suga, I am not the least impressed by your attempts to bait this hook.

9. Full Speed

Ratings:
    +1,045
    I understand and agree with this. I wasn't, however, looking for an explaination of how the term is used, I was more so trying to determine if anyone anywhere is actually doing anything to realize the concept of Black Nationalist idealogy or if it was just a pipe dream and a declaration of dissatisfaction with White and capitalistic systems.

How so? How would it be a threat to White people if we wanted to simply separate from them and not deal with them? Why is there a need for secrecy?

I don't exactly follow your point here. I am simply talking about having clearly defined goals and paths to those goals. i.e. if Black Nationalism is the answer, are we talking a nation within the borders of the United States or are we talking about Africa or some other place. I get the impression Malcom was talking about a return to Africa as he held up several African nations as examples of the freedom Black Nationalism provides. Considering this, the question begs being asked, do they have what we want?

Unless we remain dependent upon them, I don't see how they can or will use our dynamics and social practices against us. My understanding of Black Nationalism is to NOT be dependent upon them.

10. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    He explains it fully in the Charter of the Organization of Afro American Unity, something I
    had mentioned to you before as well as posted the half text and link, as well as have posted it about 6 times in different posts but Black Nationalism, is as simple as the term

Democracy;

not a big deal

simply if we live in segregated ares as we do, then we should collectively control the economics and the politics of those particular, areas and then network nationally to support one antother in methodologies and strategies of success, and then attempt to replicate theses successes in the Caribbean and Africa.

Plain and simple and a few simple slogans sum up the basic ideology

The Nguzo Saba, which has been posted at least over 20 times