Black Education / Schools : What is the Purpose of Modern Higher Education.....

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by Ralfa'il, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    To educate or merely "credentialize" ?

:hearthis: "Hold up Black Man!!!"________________:bus:________

Do we ever stop to think...what did we do BEFORE Oxford, Harvard, Princeton, and these other esteemed Universities?

How did the cities and monuments get built?

How was medicine practiced?

How was civilization and engineering administered?

2. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    THAT is why we need more Mary McLeod Bethune's, more Booker T. Washington's, more Ralphe Bunche's, and other people like that to look out for our brothas and sistahs coming up today. If we do not get this, brothas and sistahs will continue to fill up jail cells all their lives.

CD

3. Ralfa'il

Ratings:
    +16

Cedric

Respect

I agree...

Personally, I'm a student of the Booker T Washington school of thought...as was Marcus Garvey.

I didn't agree with all of his conformist ideas, but I believed that we as black people..if we're gonna live in this country and under this system...should atleast try to master it.

But I believe that instead of just automatically pushing our children of to college and these Universities for them to be indoctrinated and brainwashed into following in behind white culture lock-n-step...

We should concentrated on the ARTS OF CIVILIZATION.

Architecture
    Medicine
    Plumbing
    Electricity
    Carpentry
    Agriculture

I'm a tradesman myself....

We need to master these skills for ourselves instead of just sitting in a class room all day learning how to tap on a computer and regurgitate the facts back to the professor so that he can give us a passing grade into white society.

You take 25 of the average degreed negroes from America and put them on a desserted island by themselves and they wouldn't last a week.

The men would probably buck with and kill eachother off in the first 2 days trying to impress them women and get some trim.

We aren't being properly educated in these institutions, we are just being "groomed"...trained...indoctrinated...on how to live in this society.

We learn how to talk well and articulate as well as dress, but we aren't learning HOW to run a society, HOW to start and maintain a civilization.

This knowledge is being hid from the vast majority of us.

If the West were to fall to a major catastrophy overnight, China, Korea, and Japan would be alright becasue they are self sufficient and have mastered the ARTS OF CIVILIZATION.

But would we and Africa be?

4. oceolo

oceolo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    I totally agree with you Ralfa'il. People put way to much emphasis on degrees and not enough on actual intelligence and ability.

5. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    That was well said bruh.

God gave me the ability to make a difference. Among MANY, MANY things, I am going to have my own software, build my own coporation, and program every African language that I can think of on the computer. Not to mention, I will have my own form of technology coming up. I avoid being brainwashed as much as possible.

Oh yeah, and did you knosw that if we (Africans in Amerikkka) had our own country, we would be the 11th richest country in the world? With our own country, How much would speaking well and intelligence matter?

CD

6. DCBob

DCBob Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Oceolo I agree that more emphasis should be place on intelligence and ability, and the truth is that your personality is what will land you the job. The problem is that a degree is what will land you the interview to sell yourself.

7. Ralfa'il

Ratings:
    +16
    OC

That's what I mean by creditializing.

It seems these universities...(Khalid Muhammad called them Jew-niversities) only serve to initiate you into white society and indocrinate you on how to behave.

They don't teach you how to be independant or run a civilized society.

This is why although the black community in America has become more educated, it's become less civilized.

You're right about not enough emphasis being placed on intelligence.

Intelligence isn't how much you know, but how well you can retain and recall information.

There are plenty of intelligent people in our community who never even made it past high school, but can remember thousands of names and numbers and recall them at will.

Bruthaz that can take $20 and flip it into $400 dollars before sunset, illegally ofcourse..but the ends often justfiy the means and the job gets done.

It's such a shame we have allowed society to be constructed as such that the talents of many of our bruthaz are not being put to productive and progressive use.

DC

This is the sad truth.

A degree is what gets you in the door and your personality is what gets you noticed in todays world.

You aren't even given an opportunity unless someone "likes" you.

Hell, unless your professors like you...you might not even get the degree.

8. DCBob

DCBob Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    DC

This is the sad truth.

A degree is what gets you in the door and your personality is what gets you noticed in todays world.

You aren't even given an opportunity unless someone "likes" you.

Hell, unless your professors like you...you might not even get the degree.[/QUOTE]

The best advise I can offer is that you remain yourself. Do not put on an act, people can see right through that.

9. Ralfa'il

Ratings:
    +16
    I haven't had to apply for a job or submit myself to an interview in nearly 10 years.

I got myself a trade so I could basically work for and by myself most of the time and not have to rely on someone's emotional state or how much they "like" me to make a living.

But ofcourse all our people can't do that.

10. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Oh Ralfa'il, so now I can understand why you do not advocate college so much, which to me is an impressive way to make a difference upon yourself. However, just to see where your are in understanding others, I will ask you alot, simply because I believe that without education, you can't do ANYTHING.

In the Black Community, How many children are sent from those inner-city areas to good Colleges and Universities? How many of them are accepted into Colleges and Universities?

Don't get me wrong brotha, I think your mindset is remarkable; you bring up many opinions backed up with good detail. I just would like to see if you understand the environments(s) that we live in (youth) in these present times.

Think about that, and I will be back with more.

CD