Black People : What is the purpose of Education?

youngblackceo

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 19, 2004
Richmond,Va
I was just doing some reading and this questioned was asked by two different authors. I am going to quote you all both of their definitions and then I will add on to that. My goal is to get you all to start to question the current education that is given to Afrikans all over the world. I want us to all look at it from a critical point of view and realize that we are at war whether you want to believe it are not.

The first author that asked this question was brother Amos Wilson the book is titled "Awakening the Natural Genius in Black Children." I quote, "Too many of us see education as essentially a preparation for jobs, as a preparation for moving up in social status, and as a means of securing a better lifestyle. However, I do not see them as the primary functions of education. I think it is vital that we understand that the major function of education is to help secure the survival of a people." He goes on to say "When we talk about education we are not just talking about jobs. We are talking about continuing to live and survive in the world of the future. He then goes on to ask us another very, very, very important question. "Can we as an Afrikan people defend our children from re-enslavement any better today than your forefathers defended themselves against enslavement?
People I ask all of you have our current education prepared us to defend ourselves any better. I'll let you guys answer that.

The second author name is Haki R. Madhubuti his book is titled " From Plan to Planet Life-Studies: The need for Afrikan Minds and Institutions. I quote "Our position on black education is very clear and simple. Either a people prepare their youth to be responsible and responsive to their own needs as a people or somebody else will teach them to be responsible and responsive to somebody's else's needs at they expense and detriment of themselves and their people." That was a really good way of putting it I mean people look at our situations with all of our degrees and all of these politicians want have that done for us collectively. So who is benefiting from our so-called success. Education is about business people you can tell a tree by the fruit that it bears remember that.

One more thing in April 1983 The Commission on Education spoke about the mediocity in american schools and how the role of this country is being threatened by other countries who know are competing with this country. Look at what they had to say about the process of educating it's people.

"If an unfriendly foreign power had attempted to impose on America the mediocre educational performance that exists today, we might well have viewed it as an act of war. As it stands, we have allowed this to happen to ourselves. We have even squandered the gains in student achievement made in the wake of the Sputnik challenge. Moreover, we have dismantled essential support systems which helped make those gains possible. We have, in effect, been committing an act of unthinking, unilateral educational disarmament. You see that they said and "Act of war".
Know what do you guys think about the mis-education and the mediocre laid on Afrikans all over the world. I'll let you guys respond on how you feel about this.

Here are some clips as well check them out very interesting.

1. http://switchboard.real.com/player/...consciousness.com/media/TRANSFORM_AFRIKAN.ram

2. http://switchboard.real.com/player/...ackconsciousness.com/media/DESTRUCT_CHILD.ram

3. http://switchboard.real.com/player/...ackconsciousness.com/media/BLACK_ON_BLACK.ram

The war other countries wave would not enter nor effect what happens in our economy if the United States didn’t gear this process towards giving in to more imports. Education like food impost are sacrificed for ( money ) gains that never flow down to support anything here.

The first author that asked this question was brother Amos Wilson the book is titled "Awakening the Natural Genius in Black Children." I quote, "Too many of us see education as essentially a preparation for jobs, as a preparation for moving up in social status, and as a means of securing a better lifestyle. However, I do not see them as the primary functions of education. I think it is vital that we understand that the major function of education is to help secure the survival of a people."

This is exactly what education is. If you have an education it's no gaurantee that you will be given the opportunity. Yet when they export the labor outside, to India and other countries those given the opportunity we know nothing about. They may be as green as any college graduate withion the United States.

Once a job is obtained one can do better in social and economic status. This author is just throwing something out there to talk about. Arguments right or wrong at least gets the subject matter discussed.

If the job of management is to make one's knowledge productive. Then then the job of education is make one knowledgeable.

He then goes on to ask us another very, very, very important question. "Can we as an Afrikan people defend our children from re-enslavement any better today than your forefathers defended themselves against enslavement?

If we don't get and push our children towards education then they are doomed to just be bodies standing on the side lines wishing. If you mean blacks taking jiobs that pay low wages, we have and are known to suffer rather than lower to the abuse or be used to make another wealthy while being paid a wage below what will pay the electric bill and buy some food for our family. There will never be another enslavement in the same manner. Conditions parallel and come close, but I believe we will rather die this trip than suffer another chain and whip era.

The second author is voicing some of the ills today. Selling drugs is one example. That is a income avenue but at a cost very high especially if you want to have a good life ( free of possible gun play ) and make a decent living.

That was a really good way of putting it I mean people look at our situations with all of our degrees and all of these politicians want have that done for us collectively. So who is benefiting from our so-called success.

Having a degree will not mean you will get the pay or opportunities. Especially if your black in America.

Didn't Malcolm ask: What do they call a black man with a PHD, MBA or BS degree? A Negro.. :skillet: you know what the word is.

What should be the aims of education?

The principle aim of education must be to give the child the power of self control, self management, and a sense of responsibility and help them operate using independent thought.

The aim should be to develop each individual to the age of eighteen and supply programs to educate adults. Education begins at an early age. We have to keep current with market needs. The aim should be developing the entire powers of the mind. While we provide at home the early education of our children.

More needs to be done to build organizations that are essentially educational, creating programs that deal with matters like health, morals, recreation, occupation related skills, and yes religion.

Our reading and writing skills need to be mastered. With these skills the child who has mastered reading can transcend his/her own limits and understand the works of great minds that have left their written records and literature. This would open up the child to world issues. This will inform children and those who read a better understanding of things going on in his/her community, state, nation and the world.

Guidance has to take hold at this time to ensure that good books, articles and literature become the reading material the child has access to.
The responsibility we have to instill in the child once they reach the age of reading is. They must be told to cooperate with educators and teachers.

They must be told to listen and learn during their course of study. The child must be told and understand clearly that they are expected to contain themselves with a discipline of listening, participation, and respecting the classes and effort teachers put forth. It is more than a job for teachers. It is a desire to teach and promote education. It is a goal to help, the education and growth of another. It is a wish to further the child and a better understanding of the many facets of a broad education.

It is never too early to place expectations on a child. Cooperation if it is lacking or non existent within a child. Will undoubtedly make the job and task ahead for educators and what the student will encounter during their learning years very difficult.

:thinking: What's the difference between Education and Enlightenment? People can be educated and remain ignorant--depends on what's being taught and learned. Education often provides people with enough information for them to seem intelligent. Once enlightened though, you no longer can say that you're ignorant. If I had to choose between the two, I think I'd much rather be enlightened because it can't be forced upon you. Enlightenment can be achieved without sitting in a classroom and the source of information is often sought after and received with an open mind when a person is ready to receive it. Coupled with education however, knowledge and awareness are enhanced but only if the choices one makes are healthy and contribute to a productive community/society.

MHO,
Queenie :spinstar:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back