Black People : What is the point of reproducing?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by African_Prince, Jun 23, 2009.

1. African_Prince

African_Prince Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    The altruistic, ecologically friendly thing to do is to adopt, not breed.

Homo sapiens as a species passed our sustainable limit decades ago. The world is becoming overpopulated and there is a limited amount of water, land and other resources to go around. Never mind our contribution to global warming and collective eco-footprint. In a world where a child dies from hunger every 6 seconds, what is the point of reproducing? Why create more humans when there are already millions of children that need loving parents and homes? If you really love Black people, why make a disctinction between Black children that you would be genetically related to and already existing Black children who need loving parents and homes?

I would give almost anything to see the world's human population be reduced to somewhere in the millions. I think we should go back to living in very small communities like we did throughout most of our existence as a species.

Another thing that Black people must do (we shouldn't just "consider" this, we have to do it) is to live a vegan lifestyle. Not only is human exploitation of non-human animals morally wrong in itself but it's ecologically disastrous. The cows we raise for food, milk and leather contribute to around 18% of all greenhouse gas emissions. Most grains and cereals grown in the U.S, as well as clean water, is fed to domesticated non-human animals in slaughterhouses. Something like 60% of all the corn (or soy) in the U.S is fed to chickens, cows and pigs and it takes around 700 gallons of water to produce one hamburger. Besides not procreating and living a vegan lifestyle, we should also try taking cold showers instead of long, hot ones, using fluorescent light bulbs instead of incandescent ones, carpooling, taking the bus or walking when possible, using a clothesline instead of a drying machine etc. but all of the efforts to reduce one's carboon footprint are pointless if we're just going to create more footprints.

2. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +862
    I'll do all that other stuff, but I'm having me a baby. It's my right.

3. African_Prince

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    Maybe but it's very selfish.

4. Bootzey

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +862
    So be it. I'm in very good company. I'm not ending my bloodline for a principle. Eugenics is a very dangerous concept to be playing with.

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    overpopulation and it's side effects are the biggest issue that we face as a species.

6. African_Prince

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    Eugenics is the social Darwininian belief that genetically inferior humans should be prevented from reproducing so as to improve the gene pool of the species as a whole. I'm advocating that all humans avoid reproducing to decrease our collective, ecological footprint, make the even distribution of resources more possible and, as a result, prevent future suffering (human and non-human).

You and I share 99.9% of our genes as it is. In 6 generations, it's probable that you'll be no more closely related to your descendents than you are to any random, human stranger. Why are shared genes more important than shared values, memories, emotional ties etc. anyways?

I wish people would take this seriously.

7. Bootzey

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +862
    Do you have biological children?

If people got on board with the concept of resticting reproduction it will only lead to Eugenics. It will be argued, why should some people restrict themsleves while others procreate freely. Then restrictions and Eugenics will be legislated. This is a slippery slope that you are advocating.

8. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    whereas you make some valid points in your initial post, the feasibility of your argument relative to the thought processes of the masses, is relatively low...

it's almost akin to me saying i want the radio to stop playing music that marginalizes women and their role...

it's time to face the facts...we have already used this world up past the point of redemption...and the world will retaliate in grand fashion sometime in the future....

my whole theory right now is to live a healthy life, get my chedda and get it while the getting is good...because who knows how long it will be good...

interesting and refreshing topic though....

one love
    khasm

9. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    the planet is overpopulated. what is your plan?

10. African_Prince

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    If this is directed to me, I don't. I may adopt but I will never have biological children.

This isn't just a 'slippery slope' argument (which is considered a common fallacy in debate) , it's also a weak analogy. Eugenics has nothing to do with humans universally and voluntarily choosing not to reproduce. Eugenicists advocate that only some humans avoid reproducing so as to improve the human gene pool, I'm advocating that all humans stop reproducing ( at least until we've drastically lowered our population, eradicated poverty and given every orphan on the planet a good home ) for the sake of reducing the amount of greenhouse gas emissions we're responsible for.