Black Spirituality Religion : What IS The Point Of Religion

karmashines said:
Good question.

There really is no point to religion. Like Kente said, people have a tendency to turn to it because it provides the 'answer' to all of their problems. It's easier to rely on a pastor or a doctrine for why your loved ones die, or why you're inflicted with a troublesome illness, or why evil persists in the world then to find the answers for yourself.

Also, most religions work on the premise of brainwashing from the time a baby comes out of its mother's womb. They preach that hell stuff to kids who don't understand how life works anyway and of course they suck it up like a sponge. The brainwashing continues for the rest of the person's life. So it gets to the point even when they are old enough to question what they are being taught they simply can't because they've been trained to believe quesitoning their religion will lead to hell.

It is for this reason that I will not brainwash my kid with my beliefs, even though I do not belong to any orthodox religions at this point. I will tell him what everyone seems to believe that a higher power (God/Nature) created us and that life continues even after you die. I will then tell him about the different religious/spiritual perspectives out there and he can choose which one he wants when he gets older if of course he wants to choose a religion.

Another excellent commentary...........:congrats:

Htp.u

kaguvi said:
Now that we have a list of reasons to believe in christianity and the reasons for a religion what exactly is the point of religion.

We all have seen that religions can have the same morals and ethical codes. All religions have similar points about moral and ethics.

Religions cause debate ,many deaths have been caused in the name of God. So if we can get the same good points about religion in any form of religion or without religion, Why do so many still seek it out or belong to religion.

Why do we fight to hold on to it so badly and ultimately what is the point of reigion. Is it because we are brought up believing it and it just stays with us ?

Is it fear, Is it the feeling of community ?

Wouldn't the community be much better without the SEPERATIONS that come with religion ?????????????????????????????????????????????????

PEACE & WELCOME ABOARD THE "MOTHER SHIP" CALLED DESTEE.COM,

I would say fear along with so many of us are truly tying to find God, but end up settling for RELIGION instead!

To have found a relgion that makes you feel comfortable is not the same as finding God.....& this is the main mistake sincere people make or are spooked into making this decision.

Too often we look everywhere but at ourselves to find the answer to the most asked ? in the world..............WHO IS GOD!!

peace

kente417mojo said:
Either that or he would be a pimp along with Bishop Eddie Long. :)

Religion in this day and time is a business and the church is a corporation. People believe in many religions because it gives them something to look forward to since they don't seem to have the answers to what's happening on Earth. It's a way to escape without having to face the problems on Earth. It's a way of giving up for MANY people. I think being spiritual is different from being religious. If it makes you a better person then I say that's all good, but if it pacifies you and makes you believe in rediculous things, then it's a distraction.

HOW can spirituality work without religion ?

Is it possible for some one to have a spiritual life without a religious community.I find it difficult to imagine some one being spiritual without the sacraments of the church.

I think of spirituality as something found solely within a book( of a religion), a community that meets inside a specific building.

How do u define your own spirituality ???

What does it mean to have a spiritual life free of religion ???

And what experiences can or can not be spiritual ?????????????????????????

kaguvi said:
HOW can spirituality work without religion ?

Is it possible for some one to have a spiritual life without a religious community.I find it difficult to imagine some one being spiritual without the sacraments of the church.

I think of spirituality as something found solely within a book( of a religion), a community that meets inside a specific building.

How do u define your own spirituality ???

What does it mean to have a spiritual life free of religion ???

And what experiences can or can not be spiritual ?????????????????????????

Being spiritual and being in touch with yourself and your creator has nothing to do with going to a building and listening to a human-being tell you how to live your life. All that does is brainwash you. You can talk to your creator and meditate and be within yourself, without religion. Religion was CREATED to dominate the lives of it's followers. It's done to make everyone walk a certain path and believe (and disregard) certain things. You can be spiritual depending on what you're belief in god or your creator is. Me myself, have no religion. I'm not even all that spiritual either. I believe in a creator, but I have no idea who/ what that creator is or how to worhip. I am still searching for that part of my life, but I know people that are spiritual but have no religion and haven't stepped foot in a church, mosque, temple or anything for many, many years. There are a lot of people on this site that can talk to you about spirituality, but unfortunately I'm not one of them yet.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back