Black People : What is the NAACP doing for you?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by NNQueen, May 29, 2003.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    A dear sister of mine recently asked me the question. . . "Do you think the N.A.A.C.P. is obsolete?" What do you think?

"For more than ninety three years, the NAACP has been built on the individual and collective courage of thousands of people. People of all races, nationalities and religious denominations, who were united on one premise --that all men and women are created equal."

http://www.naacp.org/past_future/naacptimeline.shtml

There are branches of the NAACP in cities across the nation. They have published a magazine that goes back to 1910. "The Crisis" magazine was found in almost every Black home 30 years ago. It was in my home and I can remember my parents and neighbors always talking about it. (I grew up in an all-Black community). How many homes have them now?

http://www.thecrisismagazine.com/

The quote of W.E.B. DuBois is particularly eloquent and visionary. How many people knew that he was the founder and first editor of this magazine? Or did you know that this magazine even existed?

With so much rich history behind the NAACP, and with such prominent leaders driving it at the helm and in the communities, how effective do you think the organization is today and do you think it's helping people of color, particularly African Americans?

2. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    The NAACP is not obsolete because they still make things happen... for example when they put themselves in good fights they open doors for everyone--- i.e. NFL "minority" hirings... the NFL said okay, we will look at qualified "minority hirees..."
    Whether or not it makes a significant difference, well only time can tell-- when/if an opportunity opens up, "you" have to be ready to go through the door...
    The NAACP just needs to focus, and stop all that "African-American and ___________" crap. They and other Af-Am orgs. are the only ones who include everybody....
    And they have to focus on the right fights... Confederate Flag--- I still don't care about that stupidity....
    Myrtle Beach and the Black Bikers... if you have an organization with 300,000 members... why are you begging "people" to treat you fairly?
    It seems that the biggest precedent that the NAACP is setting is the weakness of some Af-Ams... and how some of us literally beg for people to accept us; and then we give them our money to boot!
    I think that the trend is shifting in the AF-AM community; I think that a growing majority of us are saying, I am here, I have the goods, and you can take me or leave me--- either way, I survive-
    I think.

3. ifasehun

ifasehun Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    the short of it: local chapters are no more relevant and helpful than Jack and Jill chapters. they smack of bougie values and they participate in political and ecomic nepotism that usually doesnt trickle down to poor blacks.

the only viable component of the NAACP is its Legal Defense Fund. it represents their only real community oriented effort. oh - and they college scholarships. (even though there is evidence that even that is rigged on local chapter levels)

4. ZeroGravity

ZeroGravity Well-Known Member MEMBER

System Administrator
    Ratings:
    +11
    I don't think the NAACP is obsolete...but there was a time when I thought perhaps it was. I'm under the impression now that the N.A.A.C.P. does things on our behalf that does not make the front page of the newspaper or is highlighted on the evening news. The name alone sometimes makes a difference in some injustices across this nation.

When I was very active in my homeowner's association, I was very surprise to hear homeowners ask a similar question about the organization. Some thought we did very little and others thought we did nothing at all...what they didn't see were the countless hours we battled the county in zone hearings (on their behalf); or the citations issued to their fellow neighbors for infractions (on their behalf) that if left unchallenged would create problems for everyone; etc etc.

I used the homeowner's association as an example to say...things are done on our behalf that might not be readily apparent to us. I think the N.A.A.C.P is still a viable organization in our struggle...it might need some renovations or a new makeover, but I think it still have a good foundation.

5. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    ifasehun...you raise an interesting point...bougie values. I'm of the same opinion about many of the Black organizations in the U.S. Why aren't more working with grass roots people and issues instead of operating with elitist attitudes and practicing separatism?

Will you explain what you meant that they practice political and economic nepotism?

Peace!