Black People : What is the MLK (blvd/st./dr./ave.) in YOUR CITY like?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by cherryblossom, Feb 4, 2013.

1. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Bros., you both made this cross my mind...... Over the years, since MLK has been honored with road-ways named after him in cities/towns all over this country, it has become a sad commentary, even JOKES made about the crime-ridden, so-called "hoodish" environments these areas, named after MLK, have.

*If something BAD happens in a city, it often is on a MLK street somewhere.*​

But, I think we also need to look at the HISTORY of these streets and areas they were ORIGINALLY before they were changed to "Martin Luther King."

For example, as it was elsewhere, Atlanta was a SEGREGATED city with Blacks living in certain areas and Whites in others. Now, today, MLK Drive runs from almost one end of Atlanta, through DOWNTOWN, and on to another end of the city.

Southwest Atlanta is where B.T. Washington H.S. and Morehouse College are located, so of course, MLK's street would run near/adjacent to them. (He was an alum of both.)

But, BEFORE INTEGRATION in the 60s and BEFORE CRACK in the 80s, Southwest Atlanta was not the so-called "HOOD" it has the reputation of being TODAY.

....and the same can be said of other areas of Atlanta MLK Drive runs through as well.

So, I wondered from your comments:

"What is the street named after MLK like in YOUR CITY?

"What is the HISTORY of that street/area BEFORE the name was changed?"

"Do you think/feel the city leaders purposely put MLK on a "rough" street OR did the HISTORY and CLIMATE of that street/area change over time?"

2. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Uploaded on Sep 20, 2010
    This video follows a major Atlanta roadway -- Martin Luther King Jr. Drive (MLK). MLK's western end is at the Chattahoochee River, which acts as the Cobb-Fulton County border; its eastern end is at the entrance to Historic Oakland Cemetery. From I-20 exit 53 to the Chattahoochee River, MLK Jr. Drive is Georgia State Route 139. State Route 139 continues westward across the 'Hooch as Mableton Parkway, to its terminus at U.S. 78/278/S.R. 8 (Veterans Memorial Highway SW) in Mableton, Georgia.

Martin Luther King Jr. Drive passes through the heart of Downtown Atlanta, providing access to the Georgia State Capitol, the old World of Coca-Cola, Underground Atlanta, the Fulton County Courthouse, and the Richard B. Russell Federal Building. Access is also provided to Philips Arena, the Georgia Dome, the Atlanta University Center, and the Fulton County Airport at Charlie Brown Field.

3. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Jonathan Tilove
    c.2007 Newhouse News Service
    January 9, 2007
    Hey Chris Rock! Many MLK Streets Defy Stereotype

NEW BERN, N.C. _ There’s a Wal-Mart on Dr. M.L. King Jr. Boulevard here. And a Target, IHOP, Holiday Inn Express, Books-A-Million, Piggly Wiggly, Pepsi-Cola bottler (in this, the soft drink’s birthplace), Applebee’s, two Eckerds, three car dealerships and some 200 other businesses, large and small.

In other words, this is the main commercial thoroughfare through this pleasant, history-rich city of 25,000 in eastern North Carolina. The street was bustling when it was known as Clarendon Boulevard, and has flourished since it was officially renamed for King seven years ago this Martin Luther King Day.

If there’s any detriment to it, I ain’t found it yet,” said Tom Bayliss, the mayor then and now, who was instrumental in the renaming and proud that his city did not relegate King’s name to a street less traveled or less integrated in who travels it.

“Martin Luther King doesn’t belong to black people,” said Bayliss, who is white. “The fact of the matter is he freed everybody in this country. He caused me as an American not to have to live a lie.”

There are close to 800 streets of every size and description in the United States named for Martin Luther King, with more proposed and debated all the time. But despite their diversity, the streets tend to suffer from a common negative stereotype, derided as rundown and ruined. A place to run from, in the comic wisdom of Chris Rock. The gateway to the ghetto in the Borat movie, where the street sign signals his arrival in “the hood.” It is a bad reputation that has frequently been invoked by those opposing the naming of a new King street or the extension of an old one....

...COMPLETE ARTICLE HERE: http://jonathantilove.com/hey-chris-rock-many-mlk-streets-defy-stereotype/

4. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    in chicago it's king drive....
    the street intersects most of the south side of chicago...

one love
    khasm

5. MsVeraisblessed

MsVeraisblessed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,148
  6. MimiBelle

MimiBelle Well-Known Member MEMBER

RN-BSN
    Ratings:
    +426
    I don't really much go over there unless I want some BBQ or need some beauty supplies.

What's it look like?
    It's a 'hood'. *shrug*
    The black community in S.Texas is too small to be of much influence. Too many mescans all over the place and the city caters to the dominant culture, i.e., them.

I can't wait to move to suburban Houston where the bulk of my family are. Was looking at Missouri City. Can't remember what it looks like...but the stats look nice.
    http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/48/4848804.html
    - 41.8% black (majority)
    - 29% black owned businesses
    - 40% bachelor or higher
    According to wiki,the number of $100,000 households stands at about 38%?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_City,_Texas

I'm liking the the little town/city already.

Pearland, too, I've heard great things about. My husband stays with my cousins to commute. He states that it's lovely.

7. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    There are two MLKs...One in Tacoma and one in Seattle

TACOMA MLK (My TOWN)
    The MLK in Tacoma is considered the "hood" and folks who are from WA say it's ghetto, but it's not compared to the other cities in the States...We call it Hilltop (cause it's on a hill)...It's being cleaned up a lot, because a lot of college students who go the the UW campus are moving in.

[​IMG]
    This is the Fish House on the corner of 19th and MLK

[​IMG][​IMG]
    You can buy all the Stacy Adams at Mr Mac's on MLK in Tacoma

[​IMG]
    MLK Tacoma (Hilltop)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The old Browns Bar and Grill...This place used to be the spot for good drinks and food, dancing for old and young crowd....But there was a lot of drug and gang activity so the city shut it down.

[​IMG]
    Martin Luther King used to be called K street.

SEATTLE MLK WAY
    The MLK in Seattle is a longer street then the Tacoma...It's more "hood" then Tacoma and most of the shootings you hear that happen in Seattle are along MLK and Rainier Ave. It's also where the cop punched the girl you heard about on the news.

[​IMG]
    Corner of MLK and Rainier Ave in Seattle

[​IMG]
    Seattle MLK....MLK March
    [​IMG]
    MLK Seattle

8. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    And you know what that looks like starting at around 63rd st.

Peace!

9. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    Interesting!

I never realized this common theme until I just read Bro. Skuderjaymes comment. I know of the two streets hear in two cities and one is pretting nice though. the other one in Raleigh runs next to a Black college and into the downtown area, and although there is areas that are obvious Black communities, it doesn't seem to be too bad.

10. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    Really nice pics!

I can't believe that Washington has this much Black history and Black presence. My eyes are being opened. My kids martial arts instructor is from Seattle Washington and she is very positive Black conscious person. I've never said anything to her about this though, but her eyes slant and it makes me wonder about how the natives in that land interacted with Black people. She looks like a Black Asian to me and she speaks fluent languages from Asia but it is because of her martial experience that correlates to her training.