Computers - Software Hardware : What is the Hierarchy of Computer / Internet Technology?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Destee, Jun 27, 2011.

?

Do you know the hierarchy of Computer / Internet Technology?

1. yes

75.0%
  2. no

25.0%
  1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Peace and Blessings Family,

What is the hierarchy of Computer / Internet Technology? Is there such a thing?

Are they one in the same, Computer / Internet, or should they be seperate?

What is the very lowest, bottom end ... vs ... the very highest, top end?

What are the major pieces in between?

The technology grows so fast, maybe we could study one part at a time, and learn it together.

To those that know the big picture, can you break it down for those of us that don't?

Thanks in advance! :)

:heart:

Destee

2. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Um.....what?

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Is there no such thing Sister?

Destee

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    I'm thinking that hardware and software would be the two major levels.

Does everything related to Computers / Internet Technologies, fall in one of these two categories?

hmmm ... iono

Destee

5. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    Hello,Destee,my sista. I'm going to say yes,since I build, and at times,troubleshoot my own computer. The reason I say yes is based on the definition of the word "hierarchy", which means something is either above,below, or at the same level. Now in terms of importance,most people think the CPU is at the top but in reality,it's the power supply. None of that hardware and software will work unless you have power. Moore's law states that technology doubles every two years,and that is just about right. Technology, one of mankind's greatest creations has given us the internet,cell phone,etc. Technology is significant to our everyday lives, and it is encompassed in the computer and the internet. Just look at the many ways we use technology in one way or another on a daily basis. Take this site for example,this software upgrade allows the member to connect to the world using various types of software. You could say technology is the source of people's existence. Blackberrys,TV,fax machines, calculators, electronic, etc. are just a few technological resources that govern our lives in an expeditious manner. We, as users of technology are able to maneuver through our days with more speed and accuracy.

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Yes Brother Enki ... i want to agree with you, but i don't know the whole big picture, which is why i posted this thread. I think there's a bigger picture, with personal computer use that most of us are familiar with on a user level, is at the bottom of the hierarchy. That means there's a whole lot more above the user level, that i can't really see.

Maybe i'm not asking my question properly. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case ... :)

Being involved with this technology so many years, i realize there is a lot to it, many levels that folk could become proficient in and make a living, if we knew how they all fit into the bigger picture and understand them better.

You bring an interesting thought into this though, as i don't think the "power" falls under hardware or software, but is a necessary piece. Seems it's another major level, alongside hardware and software, or above it? Or is the power supply simply an assumed piece?

I like things to make sense, and i think this technology does that, if one can get it all lined up properly.

Maybe it doesn't. I don't know.

Building computers yourself is a really kewl piece of this, and speaks to what can be done! Folk can put together their own personal computers these days. I have actually thought of doing so myself, lined up the pieces i'd need, but have never gotten any further than that. Just imagine, if we had a class that taught everyone how to do this part, that would be so kewl!

Thank You Brother Enki for sharing! I hope what i've said above makes sense ... :)

Love You! :kiss:

Destee

7. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    I've done a small bit of googling, and it appears that computer and internet technology are not the same. Each have their own hierarchy.

There is even a hierarchy for computer memory, computer programming (software), and i'd imagine computer hardware as well. If this is correct, then i guess the best way to understand it is to determine what goes under which hierarchy, as they are so inter-related, it makes it difficult to know where one ends and another begins.

This is probably the stuff one would learn if they went to college, or are smart enough to teach themselves.

I think this technology does provide a way for those interested, to teach themselves, but a plan is needed. You've got to be able to see the big picture, in order to master this.

And of course ... i could be all wrong ... and hopefully someone will set me straight ... :)

Love You! :kiss:

Destee

8. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    We are going to get through sista...:)

Computers are an essential part of life for most of us. In the past 30 years the technology has advanced immensely. So I guess you want to know how computers are used on a higher level. Ok sista,lets take optical computers,imagine a computer that uses natural materials to create photons, which will control the computer's electricity. To simplify it,it's a light powered computer,there will be no need to plug it up. Computer systems are beginning to "outrun" their electrical wiring.The future of computing at it's base is speed,speed speed.

Intel has developed an interconnect, called Light Peak. What it does is it gives ordinary PCs the ability to connect with other devices using high-speed optical cables at ten gigabits per second,that's about 20 times faster than a standard USB cable. This means you can transfer a movie in seconds.

(I just luv you)

You are so correct,most people don't realize the power they have in their computers. Most of us(me included) have reduced our computers to game machines,music down loaders, and chatter boxes (face book,twitter,etc..) I'm not knocking them,but a computer is much more. But for us,as a race,as a people,we have to get rid of this "easy thing". We have to get updated,and re-educated to stay competitive.

Let me explain why.

Lets look at storage capacity, 1 gram of DNA, can hold up to 1 trillion CDs. This is the future of DNA Computers. These computers will be used in computational science, and research has shown that these computers can be used to solve complex mathematical problems. The value in this is that a DNA computer has the capability to select the one correct answer out of millions of possible solutions.

Also,I've been reading up on quantum computers because I like reading about quantum physics. But to understand the uniqueness of quantum computers, we have to understand a little bit about quantum mechanics. I have just enough knowledge of it to be dangerous.:D

But the basic concept is that at the smallest of scales, everything is discrete,this means energy is not continuous,but are in small individual units. Thus the theory of quanta. Now with this concept in mind, we can begin to understand that current computers measure data in bits. Quantum computers will measure data in qubits,which is the smallest of scales. Now how this relates to say,the computer repair person,or programer is that many of the classic computer problems that we have today, can be solved based on the fact that data will be measured in qubits.

This wave is unavoidable,I use this site again as an example, I know at some point you saw a need to upgrade,and when you did,you see that what was current was a whole lot more advanced than what you had. Computing is the same way,if we want to use it to,your advantage we are going to have to understand these,and many more aspects of computing and how they will change in the future,and how this change will effect us.

We have to close this technology gap.

I understand,hardware is anything you can touch. Cards,MB,chips,etc. And yes the power supply(PS) is an assumed piece,but an overlooked piece in terms of it's importance. Generally people want the best graphic card,the fastest,chip,best DVD drive etc. But no one really ask,do I need a bigger PS. They are content as long as their PC starts up and runs. But if your power consumption is 500 watts,and your PS is 450 watts,something is not going to run as efficiently it should. Most people don't think anything is wrong because the PS has not burned up but you can't pull anymore power than your PS will produce.

No,you have the right idea,I learned by reading and doing. I even learned how to hack a bit.....shhhhhh.:oops:

But I learned,what Ram was,what Rom,was and everything that made a computer work.Then I moved on to "tweaking" my system the way I wanted. Then I took the big step and "cracked the case",while sweating bullets,I changed my first video card. And now,it's nothing for me to build one from a pile of parts.

To me,building your own is the easiest thing to do. I didn't always feel and think that. I was so scared the first time I put my first one together,I would call around and ask questions,I would read,and read,and read. before I made a move to put in the CPU,or a stick of Ram. Now,I can build one from several computers,or like I said,a pile of parts without calling a soul,or reading anything.

If not,I,as well as others are here to help you. All you have to do is ask sista.

Awwwww..this brutha luv you also... I don't know if I've said this,aside form you being a sista,it's that Afro of yours. :cool:

Sorry for the long post,I do tend to get long winded about things I love.

Peace!!

9. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    It seems like a fairly low traffic area. I think just making a "Computing" section would just be sufficient, IMHO.

10. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Brother Gorilla ... you didn't answer the question.

I will make a computing section, but i wanna understand the hierarchy better.

Like ... the question i asked ... does everything fall under hardware or software as it relates to computers / internet technology? Or are there other major areas, equal to hardware and software within the realm?

Destee

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hierarchy of computer software

2. computer software hierarchy

3. what is the heiarchy of computer programs