Black Christians : What Is "The Former and the Latter Rain?"

Discussion in 'Christian Study Group' started by cherryblossom, Jul 28, 2009.

1. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    In the Bible, what does it mean, literally and symbolically, when it mentions "the former" and "the latter rain?"

I've read of the "Latter Rain Movement" and its charismatic history and doctrines; and I wonder what Biblical basis is used for its tenets.

I've also read of "latter rain teachers" and also wonder how this apples to the Bible.

Deut.11
    [14] That I will give you the rain of your land in his due season, the first rain and the latter rain, that thou mayest gather in thy corn, and thy wine, and thine oil.

Job.29
    [23
    ] And they waited for me as for the rain; and they opened their mouth wide as for the latter rain.

Prov.16
    [15]
    In the light of the king's countenance is life; and his favour is as a cloud of the latter rain.

Jer.3
    [3]
    Therefore the showers have been withholden, and there hath been no latter rain; and thou hadst a whore's forehead, thou refusedst to be ashamed.

Joel.2
    [23]
    Be glad then, ye children of Zion, and rejoice in the LORD your God: for he hath given you the former rain moderately, and he will cause to come down for you the rain, the former rain, and the latter rain in the first month.

Zech.10
    [1]
    Ask ye of the LORD rain in the time of the latter rain; so the LORD shall make bright clouds, and give them showers of rain, to every one grass in the field.

Jas.5
    [7]
    Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord. Behold, the husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and latter rain.

2. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    “The Emblems of the Holy Spirit” Series:
    The Holy Spirit as Former and Latter Rain
    Bible Teaching By
    Percy Gutteridge

http://www.parbarwestward.org/Percy_Gutteridge/HS_10_Former_Rain_Latter_Rain.php

...." My last word to you is the promise of the Lord given in Psalm 72:6—“He shall come down like rain upon the mown grass.”

What is the grass that God is referring to? It’s what Isaiah says in chapter 40:6. When the voice said, “Cry,” he said, “What shall I cry?” And God said, “Cry, ‘All flesh is grass.’” Now link that, please, with Psalm 72:6: He will come down like showers upon the mown grass, the grass that’s cut down. What is the grass that’s cut down? It’s when we are willing to be cut down to size, when our “PUFF” has gone, when we are truly humble. It is when the Lord brings us down in humility, when we can walk before the Lord in humility, not in pomp and pride, and not with boastfulness of our abilities. It is when all our own righteousness is as filthy rags [Isaiah 64:6] and when we realize that we have no power within ourselves to help ourselves. It is when we realize that any good that we do must be done by the Lord Jesus through us and in spite of us, and that we are unprofitable servants even when we have done what He has told us to do [Luke 17:10]. That’s the Lord cutting us down to size. That’s the Lord coming down on the mown grass. He has promised to send the latter rain, His glorious latter rain of Holy Ghost anointing upon mown grass...."

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,081
    In the Spirit of Sankofa!

cherryblossom,

Lately, I have begun to use the terminology latter rain teachers a lot in passing; but let there be no mistake about this, the latter rain movement is far different in that it is/was a movement, which may not involve the Holy Ghost, as movements go. From my understanding, the latter rain movement, ushered in the Azusa Street revival, which necessitated the congregants to speak in tongues equivalent to those of the event of AD 33.

Meanwhile, keep in mind, the term itselt, latter rain, is nearly self-explanatory, it simply means end time solutions disquised as rain. Moreover, Deuteronomy 29: 29 says it all for me...Peace In my sister friend.

4. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    "The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law."

Thanks for the reply and Amen, Bro. Clyde, AMEN!

5. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,081

cherryblossom,

You are very welcome and it is not a problem at all.

6. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,732
    Thanks for the scripture references!

I did not realize the importance put on the two concepts of the former and latter rain. I wonder now more about it.

Is this in reference to seasonal washing [floods] as being 'latter rain' in which offer nutrients after the waters recede and was one of the main ways the earth was watered before 'the former' rain of which occurred after the great flood?

Before the earth shifted and later split, it seems based upon my research that the earth mass centered near the equator and the four seasons soon occurred after the earth tilted. This earth's tilt also happened hundreds of years before the great flood. But inbetween the time before the earth's tilt, there was no four (4) seasons. I think that the earth was watered in a condition much like certain tropical areas today; a mist that came up and also by rivers and floods and such. But after the earth tilted, floods became more constant and deserts began to form and etc. Eventually, the earth began to change and soon came the great flood of which marks a time when the began to experience rain.

This is a very interesting topic.

Thank you!

7. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,081

Chevron Dove,

Yes to your question Chevron, metaphorically speaking, in my opinion you could say that.

8. shirl

shirl New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Latter Rain is God's doctrine. (Deut 32:1-2) and Speech is his word.
    W

9. shirl

shirl New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Doctrine is Foundational Bible Truth.

10. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    As Bro. Clyde stated, I also agree that it is used metaphorically/symbolically in relation to agriculture and the Flood.

But, more specifically, it is spiritually and prophetically used. >>>>

Acts 3:
    [19] Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;
    [20] And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
    [21] Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

2 Thess. 1:
    [6] Seeing it is a righteous thing with God to recompense tribulation to them that trouble you;
    [7] And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,
    [8] In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
    [9] Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;
    [10] When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.
    [11] Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power:
    [12] That the name of our Lord Jesus Christ may be glorified in you, and ye in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Matthew 7:
    [21] Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
    [22] Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
    [23] And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
    [24] Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
    [25] And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
    [26] And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
    [27] And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Rev. 1:
    [7] Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.