Black Women : What is the def. of Black woman when it comes to Beauty?

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by HoneyBrown05, Sep 27, 2004.

1. HoneyBrown05

HoneyBrown05 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Hey my sistas of color! I am seventeen years old and need advice from my mature and wiser sistas. My ex and I are good friends now and we talk about almost anything. But he has been talking to this puerto rican girl and in his own little way he tries to compare her to me, as far as being beautiful on the outside. I have been told that I am beautiful from the inside out, but he makes seem like black woman don't compare to a latina woman when it comes to beauty. Do you think he says these kind of things to make me jealous or is it at a certain extent compared to other women of race, we're at the bottom of the barrel. I say this not as being ignorant in a mean way but because I don't understand. I see this alot especially in videos. You have to look a certain way to be considered "Beautiful". What is the definition of black women when it comes to beauty?

2. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    Up until the last 10 years or so...I used to think all men felt you had to be tall to be considered beautiful. Glad I realized that is not the case.

On the flip side I have been known to describe myself as more of the "girl next door", someone you notice, but no one who'd make you stop in your tracks to take notice of. Then I get told by black men that I'm being too hard on myself... which in my eyes was not the case, I just felt misunderstood.

I think Beauty comes in all shades, and in all types of women.

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    for starters, try getting your self a more intelligent male. :playball:

4. HoneyBrown05

HoneyBrown05 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    LOL ok but he's not exactly my man hes just a friend who's opinion i strongly respect or just care too much about.

5. MrBlak

MrBlak Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    Not everyone has the same taste in women....DO NOT pay this guy any mind. Why the hell is he comparing you to his current girl?? That in it self is obnoxious let alone implying that you a physically ugly. He should keep that garbage to himself.

Everyman is different and finds different things attractive. Get a group of men who are only really attracted to black women in a room and if their are 10 of them, they will pick ten different people as "finest black woman ever". We are all into different things. If your friend is into non-blacks, then let him compare different NON-black women to each other. If he is not into black women, then he dont need to judge them....he cn simply ignore. Dont worry about that fools opinion, unless he is dating you, it dont matter.

6. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    maybe you should not respect the opinion of some one who prefers Latinas over sisters.

7. islander

islander Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Sister, you are as beautiful as you are black regardless of what your so-called friend or anyone else says. The last place you should look for a definition of beauty is on videos. YOUR definition of beauty should be what you find beautiful about yourself. It has nothing to do with what other people think. Don't EVER let anyone tell you what you aren't. As the other brothers and sisters said before, everyone defines beauty differently depending on their preferences, but only what you feel about yourself deep within really matters.

8. fanyamambo

fanyamambo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    My advice

Different people (female and male) have different standards for who they find attractive. It is fruitless and completely unnecessary to allow yourself to be defined by beauty myths. I myself am both weary and wary of men who speak or allude to much to a woman's looks. Mine or anyone else's. As much as a compliment doesn't hurt...I don't like women (or men) treated as specimens for men's (or women's) viewing pleasure.

Where I'm from, growing up, people of mixed race (black and white) - we call them point fives (0.5) - were considered the most beautiful. Later it became light skinned blacks, then "healthy" or "chubby" ones, and then those who had arabic/swahili blood, then Somalis, then those from the Coast, then thin ones then gosh i've lost track.

Also be wary of men who put you down on the basis of your looks. Or elevate you to god-like status on account of them for that matter. Your looks do not define you and one day down the line you'll look back and wonder what that was all about. You do not need to fit into any Beauty Ideal...there is none.

9. QbanMami

QbanMami Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I am black, latina, and a sister! This statement truly comes from a divide and conquer mentality! She said the girl was puerto rican. That is her culture not her race!!!! Her former boyfriend is ignorant and she should be glad that she isn't with him anymore! It appears that the whole "latin" thing is a trend just as light-skinned girls and guys were back in the 80's. If you were dark-skinned in the 90's, you were the **** so until we come to love ourselves and our differences no matter what; this problem is going to always exist. Hell who knows, white girls with ***** might be in next year! :great: :great:

10. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    not really.

i ain't tryin to conquer no body.
    i'm tryin to tell a Young lady to stop letting herself be oppressed.