Computers - Software Hardware : What is the best PC for Graphics?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by MsInterpret, May 28, 2013.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    The computer I use now is a Acer Aspire, and it SUCKS to say the least when it comes to doing graphic design, photo editing, and viewing images.
    The screen doesn't get bright enough, the colors don't appear as they should, and this is a very crucial aspect in what I do.

So I'm researching as much information to find the best PC for me, preferably a laptop with a wide screen and 8 or 12GB...No Macs.

Any suggestions?

2. magyarmaiden

magyarmaiden Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    I suggest you look for a Asus laptop in a online shop like Amazon. They are very powerfull, reliable and afordable. They have models for specifics things like gaming, video editing and much more. I am using one right now and I could not be happier.

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,731
    ……..:bye:

4. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447

I would but my software is only compatible with PC...and it would be too expensive to buy it all again just cause of a Mac.

5. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    Disclaimer: I'm not a graphic designer.

I think you may want to add a discrete graphics card to your requirements if you're doing stuff that's heavier than just photoshop and expect a hit in battery life if you do.

Intel Options:
    In general, you're probably looking for processors that are Intel Core I5 or better. Haswell is coming out and it's supposed to offer some improvements in power consumption and on die graphics. This may drop prices if you don't go with a Haswell pick.

AMD Options:

You might want to look into the A-Series architecture both solo and paired with certain discrete graphics cards. I haven't looked into these too much but they supposedly offer some decent performance for dollar ratios. AMD is going to be slower on CPU focused load. The benefit though is that there may be something decent out there for a much cheaper price, but usually the Core I5 is the better choice.

Brands/Series:

Lenovo Thinkpad W Series (recommended that you look more into the color reproduction and lcd panel, but these are supposedly ISV certified by a lot of graphics/CAD software vendors)

Lenovo Thinkpad T Series (should have a decent screen too and can be upgraded with discrete graphics cards).

HP Elitebook Series (some people swear by them)

Lenovo IdeaPad Y Series (Screen quality might not be as good and battery life is probably around 3 hours for these guys)

It may also be worth looking into grabbing one of the Korean IPS monitors out there.

Good luck.

6. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447

The Haswell look nice!

Thanks for the tips.

7. Yuri

Yuri Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +22
    I would stick with quadcores if you could afford it.

8. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    I've found it always best to build your own. As far as quad cores go, which one? There is more to picking your cpu that to just say you want a quad core.

Peace!

9. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    Everytime it seems like someone out there was going to set off the trend of laptops being as DIY as desktops it's died a horrible death. I would love to build my own laptop/netbook gear.

10. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    I hear ya bruh...

Building your own desktop gives you a wide range of gear to choose from. But as you already know only allows you to make a few decisions here and there, but you don't have much opportunity to customize it like you can a PC. I checked into doing it once and found a bunch of challenges I don't get with building a desktop. I found parts are harder to find, choices are fewer, and you need a steady hand to deal with small screws and the tight confines of a portable case. My hands are like boxing gloves...:lol:

Also, at the time I was checking into doing it, there wasn't much information available in books and on the Web about assembling portable systems from the case up.

Peace!