Black People : What is the Abstinence only Program? will it help or hurt teens?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Ankhur, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    Abstinence-only sex education is a form of sex education that emphasizes abstinence from sex, and often excludes many other types of sexual and reproductive health education, particularly regarding birth control and safe sex.
    This type of sex education promotes sexual abstinence until marriage and avoids discussion of use of contraceptives.
    Comprehensive sex education covers the use of contraceptives as well as abstinence. Proponents of abstinence-only education argue that comprehensive education encourages premarital sexual activity,
    while critics argue that abstinence-only education constitutes religious interference in education, distorts information about contraceptive methods, and does not provide adequate information to protect the health of youths.

full article;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstinence-only_sex_education

What's your opinion on all this?

2. Josef

Josef Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Electrical wiring tech
    Ratings:
    +411
    I dont know, it does hold enough weight to potentially become a very effective method to curve Disease, unwanted pregnancy, and on some tiers promiscuity...

from the way I see it.

But I too think there are many of young folk who can handle being in a sexual relationship..

When I was young we would use terms "acting grown, or being manish"

was not until I got a little older myself an experienced some life that I found out what that meant..

I would say though that the cat is out of the bag...meaning the message that sex can feel and be a great thing..:10500:

3. Emerald_Queen

Emerald_Queen Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +83
    Um, I think that message will help if the main media and everything else out there like music and t.v. will also maintain a more level ideal of sexual things. It so open and out there that teens may want to venture to what the hype is about and nothing else. I remember being told about all the different methods of sex, however, when I was in the situation to become sexually active the whole "no sex" was nowhere to be found in my mind...

I do think it will help some not all of course as this is not a one size fits all situation. I also think the parents and the homelife will also help dictate this behavior from kids. The standard of not wanting to dissapoint your parents and your family that have supported and cared will probably curve that in addition to the message being relayed in programs such as this!

4. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    It sounds like another approach to keeping the youth dumb and poorly informed about our true nature.... Sex is dirty, a puritan value toward control of our natural exploration of our bodies. Like the sanitizing of nature and the cleansing of death. These methods are design to separate us from our natural understanding of life.

We are even ashamed of nudity.

5. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    I agree with the bold.

I do not wholeheartedly endorse or promote abstinence until marriage for anyone.

6. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
  7. warriorprincess

warriorprincess Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +201
    http://rawstory.com/rs/2010/0328/democrats-funding-abstinenceonly-programs/

Abstinence programs received roughly $150 million a year during the previous administration, but independent evaluations concluded that the long decline in teen pregnancies was reversing. So Obama's first budget effectively excluded abstinence funding. The speculation is that the new $250 million, introduced by Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) was left in as part of the effort to win conservative Democratic support.

8. warriorprincess

Ratings:
    +201
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstinence-only_sex_education

"The idea that sexual intercourse should only occur within marriage also has serious implications for people for whom marriage is not valued or desired, or is unavailable as an option, particularly homosexuals living in places where same-sex marriage is not legal or socially acceptable. Abstinence-only sex education has also been accused of distorting information about contraceptives, including only revealing failure rates associated with their use, and ignoring discussion of their benefits."

9. warriorprincess

Ratings:
    +201
    Sex education reform???

If we were to reform sex education what would it look like? Do you think that most would rather that sex not be taught in school at all? Is there any common ground that is shared by most Americans?

For instance, even if it the benefits of sex and COMMITMENT (not only marriage) were taught, there would still be some folks who have a problem with that. Right?

My suggestion would be to teach about the potential physical and emotional costs of sex at a young age and teach about contraceptives. I would like to see educators give children as much information as possible to equip them with the tools to make their own decisions.

10. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    the sad thing is, that they do not have the wisdom to see what you say,
    and more then likely what most Black parents desire,

and who knows what kind of viurs or bacteria they can slip out to intentionally noneducated, regarding venereal disease and contraception, young people in the future