Black People : what is stopping the National Black community from collectively purchasing our own HDTV stations?

Telecoms and cable companies exercise monopoly or at least near monopoly levels of control in a lot of areas in America. It stifles competition, progress, infrastructure improvements, and keeps prices artificially higher.

http://www.inquisitr.com/479610/us-cable-companies-are-monopolies-expert-says/

They also do things to lobby against things like net neutrality and consumer choice (like being able to order television service and select individual channels and pay for just that).

Thanks. I had no idea since there are at least a few more options in Los Angeles.

This seems to answer the thread OP. Monooly capitalism which is stifling competition.

Thanks. I had no idea since there are at least a few more options in Los Angeles.

This seems to answer the thread OP. Monooly capitalism which is stifling competition.

There's always a few options available but they do not compete as naturally as they should. For example, we do have smaller cable providers in my area (RCN), but you'd be hard pressed to land in a location they could service compared to Comcast and Time-Warner. Sometimes they even do things like say they'll handle infrastructure for new apartment/townhouse developments in exchange for pretty much having exclusive control for that area's cable service.

It's really hard to sum up in a discussion forum because this is a massive subject, but that's why I really think the Internet is a viable option for an endeavor like this. It would beat contending with these dug in giants, save for them owning the tubes it's delivered over. It skips having to go through the licensing hoops traditional broadcasting has to do and more money can be spent on more effective aspects of the business.

There's always a few options available but they do not compete as naturally as they should. For example, we do have smaller cable providers in my area (RCN), but you'd be hard pressed to land in a location they could service compared to Comcast and Time-Warner. Sometimes they even do things like say they'll handle infrastructure for new apartment/townhouse developments in exchange for pretty much having exclusive control for that area's cable service.

It's really hard to sum up in a discussion forum because this is a massive subject, but that's why I really think the Internet is a viable option for an endeavor like this. It would beat contending with these dug in giants, save for them owning the tubes it's delivered over. It skips having to go through the licensing hoops traditional broadcasting has to do and more money can be spent on more effective aspects of the business.

I agree the Internet is a viable option. Only speaking for myself, rarely do I rely on mainstream for news. I subscribe to or follow enough Twitter feeds which I reblog.

With Livestream I can get live streaming news directly from the source.

However, data usage can get expensive and I get free cable (covered by the rent).

But none of what I stated answers the thread OP so excuse me everyone for drifting off course.

HDTV is old school.

IPTV is the way to go.

Roku3 and broadband internet is all you need.

Which is why I mentioned that fiber optic company (link). I did a search for African American companies in this field and its virtually zero. Just an example of how far behind we are. If I had half a brain I would have started investing when this technology was emerging in the 80s.

We always thinking on the low end. This needs to change.

HDTV is old school.

IPTV is the way to go.

Roku3 and broadband internet is all you need.

By the way, in my area Time Warner cable perhaps has the largest service area but I'm with AT&T wireless, and my unit is connected to Dish.

I'm always getting offers to change package to U-Verse but I can't. U-Verse includes IPTV services. Any idea how they rate?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on $$RICH$$'s profile.
$$RUCH. SO COOL.VBRO. WHAT MY bornday. Again. Destee. June. U didn't call. Phone me. I'm loosingbit. In my dopamine euphoria. None stop. I send my new pic. Noylt. Me. That guy. Wears 1x. I wear.b3x. Ok love Destee Fam. Errors I don't care ok. Love
Destee wrote on MANASIAC's profile.
I saw you ... :yaay: ... Welcome Home! ... :flowers:
Back